Why become a member? ×

A trade between my 55-02 and a DJ5...

Something

Hi folks,

So I think all is in the tittle

I bought a 55-02 (my first Lakie) one year ago.

It's a very good bass for sure. The best I've ever played, however i've played Stingray 5, Warwick, Fender US dlx V and many others...

But I think this bass doesn't give me what I want, I mean in the sound, especially in slap...I always spend so much time to try to find the sound.
Plug'n play is the way...

Think it's a bit too Musicman oriented for me...But maybe I'm wrong. :)

And I think I'm a little bit wearied by my 55-02. By the way it looks I mean...

Usually I dont keep basses for long. The one I kept the most is my Fender US dlx V (Five years). I sold it cause the B string is a little floppy.

And especially (and most of all) I'm a Jazz bass man.

I mean even before I started to play bass, the look and design of Jazz Basses always kept my eyes.

For me a good looking bass is a Jazz bass (understand Jazz bass like, not especially a Fender !).

I love my 55-02 very much but I'm very GASing on a DJ5... :huh:

I like the way it looks so much than my current bass (I think the look is very important. If I don't like the design of the bass I don't want to play it...) and also the way it sounds.

I tried one the moment I bought my 55 and liked it but I came to buy a 55...

Now I don't have the opportunity to try once again cause the only store in France who sells Lakland is now so far away from my location. Almost 400 km... :huh:

So what do you think ? Is it worth ?

Ok I prefer active basses and it's the kind of basses I've ever played but I think it won't be a big problem if I get the sound I like...

Knowing that I play funk, soul and pop/rock style in a cover band...

I'm a little bit lost...And I don't want to do something I would regret after a week...

Indeed I don't have the money to buy a DJ5 in new, that's the reason why I'm looking for a trade...

I thank you by advance for your answers and advices.

And sorry if this kind of thread has been posted before today. :huh:

If you can find someone who will do that trade, it sounds to me like you should do it. A DJ5 is probably worth a little more than the 55-02 so if you like the look etc. go for it. You can always drop a pre-amp into the DJ5 if you miss the active controls too much.

Be aware however, the neck profile and fingerboard radius on the DJ5 is different to the 55-02. The JO5 has a similar neck to the 5502.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='48309' date='Aug 21 2007, 12:51 PM']Be aware however, the neck profile and fingerboard radius on the DJ5 is different to the 55-02. The JO5 has a similar neck to the 5502.[/quote]

Oh thank you for the advice...I didn't notice that... :huh: and thanks for answering.

Other advices and answers are welcome Folks ! :)

It sounds like your heart is telling you to make the trade. I say go for it whilst you still can and see what happens. You can always put in an active circuit if you find the passive sound a little lacking. Having said that, I chop and change basses like there is no tomorrow so...

Good luck
ped

Did you ever played a DJ5 ? If you did not you should try one before considering any trade or purchase. If you did, then go for it and do what your heart tells you (add an Audere Preamp ($150) afterwards if you want more output).

Thanks folks ! :)

Lulu, yes I've tried a DJ5 the day I bought my 55-02. Great bass and great neck, good sounding too...And what a look !
But I came to buy a 55-02, what I did.

Now I don't regret my purchase but I think the DJ5 is very gorgeous and indeed I'm a kinda guy who prefers Jazz Bass likes basses...Even if the 55-02 is stunning at all levels !

But you know what I mean cause you play a 55-94 :huh:

EDIT : I know you've allready repplied me on Onlybass...

Edited by Something

Just went down to Lakland.com and there are some new soundclips in the audio section...

Bob Glaub, Joe Osborn US and...Skyline DJ5 ! :huh:

I've just listened to them and it confirms what my heart tells me...I'll go to a DJ5 !!!
Looks great and sounds awesome !

Comparing (spelling ?) to my 55-02 I prefer the sound which is a bit more dirtier...More Jazz Bass... :)

The JO sounds very good too...

[url="http://www.lakland.com/audio.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/audio.htm[/url]