Why become a member? ×

Valve swap (Ampeg SVP-Pro)

stevebasshead

Hi,

I've got an SVP-Pro preamp (grey hammered finish) with the stock valves in it except for the unbranded ECC82 which I've swapped out for a Jan Phillips ECC82. Thing is, I've got several more lying around unused so what would happen if I replaced the remaining ECC[b]83[/b]'s with Jan Phillips ECC[b]82[/b]'s ? Would it simply sound different (and if so in approximately what way) or just be less efficient or something else?

I know from swapping ECC83's for ECC82's in my DHA that I liked the change but in the DHA they're purely for providing OD/gain whereas I'm not sure what function the valves perform in the SVP, so I'd rather not experiment in ignorance :)

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Steve.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='48461' date='Aug 21 2007, 06:13 PM']Hi,

I've got an SVP-Pro preamp (grey hammered finish) with the stock valves in it except for the unbranded ECC82 which I've swapped out for a Jan Phillips ECC82. Thing is, I've got several more lying around unused so what would happen if I replaced the remaining ECC[b]83[/b]'s with Jan Phillips ECC[b]82[/b]'s ? Would it simply sound different (and if so in approximately what way) or just be less efficient or something else?

I know from swapping ECC83's for ECC82's in my DHA that I liked the change but in the DHA they're purely for providing OD/gain whereas I'm not sure what function the valves perform in the SVP, so I'd rather not experiment in ignorance :)

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

Steve.[/quote]

Hi Steve,

It can't do any harm to swap valves. There is likely to be less gain and maybe even level but there will be a better fatter tone I would expect. You can always swap them back if you don't like it.

Dave

Steve.. getting those ole stock valves out will be an improvement to start with lol!! - Actually, i'm not sure what they will be in the 'hammerite' SVP's.. but they were of dire quality in my old black front SVP. Some chinese rubbish.

I'd be interested to hear what the differences are when using '82's all the way through.

Dave, Dood - thanks guys. I'll give it a go then, I can live with a little less level as I've plenty in reserve.

Dood, IIRC I think there were two Groove Tubes and Two Sovteks but my memory is somewhat iffy... I'll swap them over tonight and see what they sound like at the next rehearsal.

Regards,
Steve.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='48879' date='Aug 22 2007, 12:39 PM']Dood, IIRC I think there were two Groove Tubes and Two Sovteks but my memory is somewhat iffy... I'll swap them over tonight and see what they sound like at the next rehearsal.

Regards,
Steve.[/quote]

Oh ar? the GT's will be ok.. but the Sovteks can be improved on easily.. In general, they are good valves, but there are certainly better ones in terms of tone/clarity etc.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='48879' date='Aug 22 2007, 12:39 PM']Dave, Dood - thanks guys. I'll give it a go then, I can live with a little less level as I've plenty in reserve.

Dood, IIRC I think there were two Groove Tubes and Two Sovteks but my memory is somewhat iffy... I'll swap them over tonight and see what they sound like at the next rehearsal.

Regards,
Steve.[/quote]

I was right, they were GT's and Sovteks - score 1 for my memory brain cell!!

However...I don't think I'll bother with trying the ECC82's at a rehearsal. I tried it last night at house volume levels and the sound seemed a lot weaker, kinda [i]insubstantial [/i]with a full complement of ECC82's. The level also dropped significantly more than I had been expecting. So...new plan is to put the GT ECC83's back in but maybe not the Sovteks - I've got the EH ECC83's from my DHA spare at the moment so I think I'll pop those in instead.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='49523' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:36 PM']I was right, they were GT's and Sovteks - score 1 for my memory brain cell!!

However...I don't think I'll bother with trying the ECC82's at a rehearsal. I tried it last night at house volume levels and the sound seemed a lot weaker, kinda [i]insubstantial [/i]with a full complement of ECC82's. The level also dropped significantly more than I had been expecting. So...new plan is to put the GT ECC83's back in but maybe not the Sovteks - I've got the EH ECC83's from my DHA spare at the moment so I think I'll pop those in instead.[/quote]

Hi Steve,

You know the GTs are most likely Sovteks anyway :)

GTs don't make valves they just rebadge same as Mesa, Fender, Marshall and EH. But they do get custom designs made for them which are just versions of a 12ax7/ECC83.

Since EH took over Sovtek the quality has gone up as they used to gain test all valves and the best ones went to Fender, Marshall, etc. and the not so good ones went out as Sovteks. They now go out as EH but as I say they are much better. I noticed about 1 year back that I was not having gain problems with the EH valves as I was finding about 1 valve in 50 was not useable in my pedals.

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='49932' date='Aug 24 2007, 08:23 AM']Hi Steve,

You know the GTs are most likely Sovteks anyway :)

GTs don't make valves they just rebadge same as Mesa, Fender, Marshall and EH. But they do get custom designs made for them which are just versions of a 12ax7/ECC83.

Since EH took over Sovtek the quality has gone up as they used to gain test all valves and the best ones went to Fender, Marshall, etc. and the not so good ones went out as Sovteks. They now go out as EH but as I say they are much better. I noticed about 1 year back that I was not having gain problems with the EH valves as I was finding about 1 valve in 50 was not useable in my pedals.

Dave[/quote]

Very interesting, Dave. I don't know how old the Sovteks are, I bought the Ampeg two years ago but it was ex-demo so could have been older again. I vaguely remember seeing a QC sticker inside and I [i]think[/i] the date was '99 but that seems a little too long ago for it being a grey hammerite model.

I put the GT's back in last night plus the EH's from the DHA, it seemed to sound better than I remembered when the Sovteks were in but it was a whole day later and might have been a bit subjective. And that was still at house volumes, and not at "neighbour-baiting" levels at that, so Tuesdays rehearsal will be the next proper trial.

Thanks,
Steve.