Why become a member? ×

Concentric Pot Resistance

jon_kemo

Hi, I need to replace the concentric pot that controls the mid frequencies and variable mid sweep on my Peavey Millennium USA and was wondering if it mattered what resistance the pot is, as i have seem some that are 250k/500k and others that are 500k/500k? I know very little about electronics so any help would be appreciated!

Jon

^ what he said, although sometimes the value is written in a sort of "code" so it isn't immediately obvious what you're looking at.

Have a look at the pot and take a note of any numbers/letters written on it. Send them here and someone should be able to make sense of it.

Well after looking at the pot again it says 2 x 100k but it was rather well hidden. However, this does not seem to be the original pot anyway. So my question still remains - will it matter if the resistance is changed and what sort of effect could it have? Hopefully, this question isnt as obvious!

OK - it's not an obvious question at all.

Yes it does make a difference if the pot value is changed as the electronics are generally designed to work best with specific pot values. To be honest I'm not sure exactly what difference it would make in this case. Often the most noticable difference is that the useful range of the control is reduced (i.e everything happens within a very small movement of the pot rather than all the way throughout its travel).

I would suggest you email Peavey. Tell what make and model bass you have, suggest that it's been modified at some time and that you want to restore it and therefore need to know the correct pot value. [url="http://www.peavey.com/support/contactinfo/"]Peavey Contact Info[/url]

[quote name='BOD2' post='48834' date='Aug 22 2007, 11:55 AM']OK - it's not an obvious question at all.

Yes it does make a difference if the pot value is changed as the electronics are generally designed to work best with specific pot values. To be honest I'm not sure exactly what difference it would make in this case. Often the most noticable difference is that the useful range of the control is reduced (i.e everything happens within a very small movement of the pot rather than all the way throughout its travel).

I would suggest you email Peavey. Tell what make and model bass you have, suggest that it's been modified at some time and that you want to restore it and therefore need to know the correct pot value. [url="http://www.peavey.com/support/contactinfo/"]Peavey Contact Info[/url][/quote]

Ok thanks alot for your help. That was my plan anyway but I thought I'd run it by you guys anyway in case you knew. Cheers, Jon

• 1 month later...

[quote name='jon_kemo' post='48926' date='Aug 22 2007, 01:16 PM']Ok thanks alot for your help. That was my plan anyway but I thought I'd run it by you guys anyway in case you knew. Cheers, Jon[/quote]

I have a similar problem with my newly acquired Peavey TL5 here is my original post:
[i][i][i]"I have just acquired a late model 1990's one of these with a dodgy treble/bass pot.
It's a stacked concentric one and I've tried the usual jet air followed by switch cleaner thing but I think it needs replacing.
Anyone know the correct type and where I can source one? I might as well replace the mid/mid sweep one too I guess.
Peavey UK didn't want to know and were no help at all as the bass is "obsolete".
Any other info on these basses also greatly appreciated.

I've not seen one before but its otherwise really nice".[/i][/i]

I got a better response from Peavey USA who have supplied part numbers and confirmed that they have the parts but neglected to tell me how or where to get them!

Good luck!

Edited by lonestar