Why become a member? ×

Fender P and PJ Bass ... Advice needed

PauBass

I have just been thinking on going down the Fender P bass route, and in fact, I'm ready to go for it, but I'm also considering the possibility of a PJ:

- Fender Hot Rod
- Fender P Bass and ad the J pickup.

Since I haven't had the chance to try any of them I wanted to ask, to all of you that own or have tried them, what's your opinion on these basses.

On the Hot Rod, the P pickup is in the same position as it's on a P Bass?

One thing I'm not sure about it's that if when soloing any of the pickups you also get the humming noise, similar to the one it happens on the Jazz bass?

Thanks!

:)

I only have limited experience of P's but I might suggest you PM ' the beedster ' ? He is a certified Fenderhead and has probably done all you maybe thinking about doing. I believe at some point in history he has spanked most P+Js.... and has a sensible levelheaded perspective on trying playing and modding....

[quote name='The Burpster' post='49416' date='Aug 23 2007, 11:28 AM']I only have limited experience of P's but I might suggest you PM ' the beedster ' ? He is a certified Fenderhead and has probably done all you maybe thinking about doing. I believe at some point in history he has spanked most P+Js.... and has a sensible levelheaded perspective on trying playing and modding....

:)[/quote]

LOL, cheers Bob. Right, to address the original question, yes the P-PUP will be in the same sweet spot, the J-PUP on all those I've played does not hum, but there is often a significant difference in output (volume) between PUPs due to the the specifics of the SC/H PUPs. I've just ordered an overwound J-PUP from Wizard to combat this volume disparity problem on one of mine and if it works I'll do the same for the other.
I've played everything from Stingrays, Bongos, passive and active Jazzes and Precisions, Moduli, Statii, and too many more to mention, and I still reckon you can't beat the passive P/J combination on a good Precision. I'd recommend you find a good Precision and get a good J-PUP installed rather than buying a stock P/J bass. Good luck, and keep us posted
Chris

Edited by Beedster

While we are riding the wave..... My P bass is a P+J ACTIVE Lace sensor model....

The onlly REALLY nice sound, is playing it passive with the P pup nearly fully on and the J on enough to act as humbucker...... So if that gives any you any insight I'm not sure but on hindsight I would have been happy with just a P pup Pbass but then playing with an upgrade pups....

(exactly what I'm doing with my Ibanez!)

Thanks for the input guys!

So if you solo the P pup there's also not humming? And the P bass tone is the same as on a P Bass?

What I'm monst atracted to is adding a jazz pup to an existing P bass instead of buying a Hot rod or PJ bass but, since I'm not a very handy person, do you know how much would cost me to have a Jazz pickup profesionally installed by a luthier?

I have a [url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Fender/California+Precision+Bass+Special/10/1"]P-special[/url]. No hum, plays fine.

Funnily enough, the best place to go for a p/j isn't Fender. Perhaps you'll get some recommendations on here. Aerodyne?