Why become a member? ×

"Beefing" up a Warwick

LPG83

Hello there. Thought I'd pop on and ask for a bit of advice from all you bass doctors.

I'm playing a Warwick Corvette STD with EMG jazz pickups, and have done for a number of years. The trouble I have, even since upgrading the pickups, is that clackety/ reedy/ grainy/ brittle sound, that I suppose is the nature of "the sound of wood". In my current situation I really can't afford to do what i've wanted to do for a long time, which is go out and buy a really beautiful Jazz Bass.

So, put simply....any one have any cost effective solutions to make my warwick sound a bit meatier...infact just like a jazz bass?

I know you might put this down to backline. Im playing through a Euphonic Audiohead, which is lovely...but even when ive been through big mighty ampeg setups its still just rattles too much.

any tips?

cheers/

Warwicks are the sort of bass where you love the sound or hate it, Warwicks are very well made respected basses and unless you got a dodgy one you shouldn't be needing to modify it...I would certainly never dreamof modifying mine!! (unless its a rockbass...im guessing its not)

You might be able to get the sound you're looking for through modification (I'm not an expert on that) but if you dont like 'the sound of wood' which is fair enough...sound being so opinion based...then you'er probably wasting you're money trying to pull the warwick character out of a warwick. Why not fined a bass you do like the sound of and flog the warwick...warwick a popular it should be too hard to sell and even you cant afford your dream Fender there are plenty of quality basses out therewhich cost less, especially if you look secondhand?

Also just thought....my old bass tutor used to ALWAYS play his warwick with 'bass tone control' on full... It wasn't my preference but worked for him and was certainly a 'meaty' sound.

Maybe this sort of 'drastic' EQing will suit you too?

You're right, it is a very distinct sound and im sure its through my own changing taste that ive got a bit tired of it. I must say that live its not too bad if i play through the neck pickup alone, but when it comes to recording theres just too much playing noise, which i suppose might be down to my own playing style.

Out of interest, how much would you see it selling for? I bought it new about 8 years ago (not sure when the bass was made...the machine heads say "made in west germany"(!)) and i must admit its been well played and is not exactly in pristine condition. There a bit of wear and tear, dinks and scratches in various places.

many thanks for the help!

Guest subaudio

Have you had the bass set up, it sounds like your getting fret rattle rather than electronic/tone issues maybe.? if so a good set up and maybe some fret work will sort it.

I've just refitted a set of EMGs to my Corvette at 18v with a BT concentric preamp and it sounds like the dogs danglys with the bass boosted a wee bit. I find the EMGs don't distract from the 'sound of wood' at all. The EMG BT pre is clever as you can select the boost/cut freq of the treble pot using wee selector switches on the pcb. Maybe this would be the sort of thing you need. Boost the bass a bit, set the appropriate freq for the treble pot and trim out the noise you're having trouble with.

I love the sound of this bass, it's the best sounding Warwick I've played, but they do have a specific sound which is quite a way from a jazz bass (a long way from my Lakland JO4). If a pre of some description doesn't sort you out then you might have to put the Warwick on the block...

EMGs are excellent pickups imo but they do have a sound which some descibe as 'cold' and 'sterile'. The particular sound of my EMG equipped bass (spector) suits my needs for the music I generally play. EMGs are superb slapper pups, they are aggressive, and detailed which is why they are also seen in the metal scene so much.

My advice would be to save some $ and get a passive jbass, be it fender or whatever takes your fancy. More and more I'm taking to using my passive basses as they really 'sound' like a bass should imo.

[quote name='Sugden' post='49527' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:44 PM']Pop an acg pre in there you will be able to find a tone you like or very probably the jazz tone your after. Very versitile system. Not the cheapest option but food for thought.[/quote]

i've got emg's and the acg pre-amp on my thumb (bass that is :) ) and there's a review of it with some sound clips here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3919"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3919[/url]

it's a fretless but you will get an idea of what the pre is capable of...

daf

I find Bartolini pickups work really well in very 'woody' basses. They sound the opposite of what you describe - I think they might be warmer and deeper sounding and let the bass speak for itself. Perhaps worth checking out..

ped

[quote name='ped' post='49542' date='Aug 23 2007, 02:01 PM']I find Bartolini pickups work really well in very 'woody' basses. They sound the opposite of what you describe - I think they might be warmer and deeper sounding and let the bass speak for itself. Perhaps worth checking out..

ped[/quote]

funny you should say that ped, i had a thumb 6 with barts on it and i had to have the bass up full as simbass described to stop it being too toppy. i've found the emgs have a warmer sound! :) wierd..

I think your solution can be quite simple and cheap if you want it. Go for an outboard preamp. A cheap one I've tried that works really nicely is the Yamaha NE-1. I prefer that unit with P basses, but it still works nicely with a J/J set up. £40 should see you right with one of these. (Note - I'm not sure the NE-1 is actually a preamp, but more of a parametric equalizer. Regardless, it'll give you a nice result).

If money can be stretched a little further, try a Sadowsky stomp box. They sound amazing with J/J set ups, and will add heaps of "oomph" to your sound without adding mud.

I'm a happy EMG user, with a Warwick (together with EA amps and cabs) but its a combination that can be too clean for a lot of people. Two suggestions, set your amp eq back to "flat" and start again, with an emphasis on boosting the lower mids and cutting around or above 4k. Second, cut the highs on the bass (at source) and you can get a more "passive" sound from EMG's.

For an "old" sound for blues/rock gigs I often use a Sansamp to warm/rough up the Warwick - more extreme but its always worked for me.

BB

Some great advice in this thread guys!

I've been contemplating swapping out the MECs in my Warwick for something a little different, although the sound I get at the moment is pretty good ever since I put a set of flatwounds on. I think that the stock setup of most Warwicks leads to a very middle-y sound (growl if you will). Normally a little bass boost on the preamp fills out the sound to my desired level.

[quote name='LPG83' post='49470' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:33 PM']The trouble I have, even since upgrading the pickups, is that clackety/ reedy/ grainy/ brittle sound, that I suppose is the nature of "the sound of wood".[/quote]

That definitely isn't "the sound of wood"! However it may be the sound of your bass.

What does your bass sound like when unplugged and in a quiet room? If it makes the sound you want to hear then the electronics are your weak link and could be upgraded successfully.

If it doesn't make the sound you want then can you do something about your technique to get the right sound? If that doesn't work, can you try different strings to get the right sound? If that doesn't work then the bass just isn't the right bass for you.

Alex

cheers folks.

very many thanks for the info and advice. i'll find the best way to put it all into practise and see what sound comes out the other end....

A little off topic...whats the opinion on mexican made fenders? any good?

Is your Warwick passive or active? Just wondered, as I have the Corvette $$ & it's sound is huge, both on top and bottom end. No nasty sounds at all. If however, you must have a jazz, go for the MIJ Geddy Lee signature model. Played mine in anger for the first time today at a gig & it sounded massive! Beautiful rich and rounded sound.

MIM jazz basses are nice to play touch-wise, but the new updated pickups seem very low in output and uneven across the strings.

If you're getting 'playing noise', then raise your action - no amount of electronic trickery will cure this.

As for Mexican Fenders - there's good and bad - I've just bought a (cheap) beat up P bass that plays awesome and sounds pretty darn good - and because it was cheap I don't need to be precious when gigging it.

Warwicks are quality basses - as stock - so check your set up before you spend loads of dough!

[quote name='LPG83' post='49470' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:33 PM']Hello there. Thought I'd pop on and ask for a bit of advice from all you bass doctors.

I'm playing a Warwick Corvette STD with EMG jazz pickups, and have done for a number of years. The trouble I have, even since upgrading the pickups, is that clackety/ reedy/ grainy/ brittle sound, that I suppose is the nature of "the sound of wood". In my current situation I really can't afford to do what i've wanted to do for a long time, which is go out and buy a really beautiful Jazz Bass.

So, put simply....any one have any cost effective solutions to make my warwick sound a bit meatier...infact just like a jazz bass?

I know you might put this down to backline. Im playing through a Euphonic Audiohead, which is lovely...but even when ive been through big mighty ampeg setups its still just rattles too much.

any tips?

cheers/[/quote]
Buy a Corvette $$.Meaty coil tappable humbuckers,highly versatile and powerful.

[quote name='LPG83' post='49470' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:33 PM']The trouble I have, even since upgrading the pickups, is that clackety/ reedy/ grainy/ brittle sound, that I suppose is the nature of "the sound of wood".[/quote]
How about putting the original pickups back in? Maybe it's just the EMGs you don't like the sound of.

Failing that, buy a G&L. ;-)