Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SB-2 - £250

Paul_C

Made sometime around 1966-67 according to Yamaha's website - [url="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/eg/database/sb/sb-2.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DYamaha%2BSB-2A%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26hs%3DE7D%26sa%3DG"]Click[/url]

I bought it from the US a couple of years ago, but it's sat in its case since then because it arrived de-fretted (which I hadn't noticed in the auction blurb) and was a bit untidy. Luckily I have another SB-2 that I bought ages ago to scavenge for parts for one of the collection of Yamahas I had, and I got everything I needed (apart from one tuner screw that doesn't match) to put back together. I refretted it yesterday and put back together and set it up today.

It has one vol, one tone, and a balance control, not, as I first thought, a vol and two tones.

One or two dings and dents (one in particular has been filled with something like Araldite, I might have to attend to that at some point) but in pretty good nick for such an old bass.

the German ebay seller that regularly sells freaky and hacked about basses has one for sale for £479.00 - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60s-YAMAHA-BASS_W0QQitemZ7342725590QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem"]Click[/url]

Not sure if it's worth as much as that, but I'll consider reasonable offers if anyone is tempted. Edited by Paul_C

Interesting bass, paul. Good luck with the sale.

Anyone who has any concerns about paul saying that he did the refret and set-up himself needs to be aware that Paul used to run Arrowhead guitars, a custom build shop, and paul's one of the very best repair men and luthiers around. You need have no concerns about anything that paul's worked on and says is fit for purpose.

[quote name='Scoop' post='49891' date='Aug 24 2007, 12:42 AM']Interesting bass, paul. Good luck with the sale.

Anyone who has any concerns about paul saying that he did the refret and set-up himself needs to be aware that Paul used to run Arrowhead guitars, a custom build shop, and paul's one of the very best repair men and luthiers around. You need have no concerns about anything that paul's worked on and says is fit for purpose.[/quote]

Used to ?

I still do :)

[quote name='Paul_C' post='49990' date='Aug 24 2007, 10:27 AM']Used to ?
I still do :)[/quote]

Hargh!

I thought you'd given it up in order to pursue your long term ambition to work as a speech therapist for Burundi Spider Monkeys. Or was that someone else..?

Okay: Paul IS STILL running Arrowhead Guitars, bespoke guitars builders and repair shop, and IS STILL going to have completed any work on his basses to the highest possible quality. Phew!

Am I still only getting one pint for doing this..? :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...