Why become a member? ×

Musicman SUBs

tylerlangan

Hi all.

I've been the proud owner of one of these for a fair while now, a black one with the active preamp =)

And like I've been really astounded with it, loved its hi-fi tone and the bright and snappy sound of it with fresh light guage strings just sounds beyond cool for slap and all the rest =D

I think I paid around £570 for mine new from a friends music store, which for an American made bass surely can't be too bad?

I was just sort of wondering how different these are from Stingrays?

I think they're made of poplar as apposed to (whatever stingrays are made of) but do they use different electronics/pickups?

Does anyone else on the forums own one, if so I'd love to hear what you think of them and also whether you think it'd ever be worth upgrading to a normal stingray?

(p.s do stingray scratchplates fit as a direct replacement for the metal grate ones supplied with them?)

Cheeeeeeeeeers.

Ty.

Can't answer all these - never owned a Sub. But IIRC:

1. I think the woods are the same (non trans finishes could be Poplar, Alder or even Ash) on both
2. The Ray has a profile where the arm rests i.e. not slab body
3. Think on the active the sub is the 2EQ like the 2 EQ Ray.

Soundwise I did find a little difference to my old (now gone) 2EQ Ray when I had a noodle in a shop but not £400 worth.......however if you're gassing for a Ray nothing else will do.