Why become a member? ×

Headscratching-Trace Vs. Ashdown

Deep Thought

I'm in a bit of a quandary here boys-playing for over 20 years but never really looked closely into the ins and outs of amplification, just bought whatever came up cheap. Having got back in a band after 15 years out I am still fairly clueless about the subject and could do with a spot of advice. I have an Ashdown Mag 300 4x10 combo which I bought in a hurry-gig coming up, had to have an amp quick, best I could find for the money at the time, but it was always my intention to upgrade later-it wasn't really the amp I wanted. For a while I've been wanting an Ashdown ABM 500 head and probably 4x10 cab, but I've gone off the idea lately and started looking at others, fancying both Gallien Kreuger 1001RBII's and various Ampegs and Markbasses. Always intended to go head and cab as opposed to another combo, and also to up the wattage somewhat-the Ashdown is OK but a bit more headroom is always nice. However funds are as usual somewhat limited and I'm running out of things to sell! I'm eyeing up a used 300 watt Trace Elliot 1x15 combo, which is more within my price range. I suspect that this might be louder than the Ashdown despite the same wattage-it's a pre-Gibson designed Trace. I like a fairly trebly sound with not too much bottom end-is this feasible with a 1x15? And if I add a 2x10 cab is this going to lose me a lot of volume? I suspect I should be hanging on until I can afford the GK, which is top of the list at the moment, but that's a long way off and I will then have to find a cab to go with it, so the Trace is looking like a tempting upgrade without having to shell out too much. Opinions?

Edited by Deep Thought

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='50039' date='Aug 24 2007, 11:46 AM']I'm in a bit of a quandary here boys-playing for over 20 years but never really looked closely into the ins and outs of amplification, just bought whatever came up cheap. Having got back in a band after 15 years out I am still fairly clueless about the subject and could do with a spot of advice. I have an Ashdown Mag 300 4x10 combo which I bought in a hurry-gig coming up, had to have an amp quick, best I could find for the money at the time, but it was always my intention to upgrade later-it wasn't really the amp I wanted. For a while I've been wanting an Ashdown ABM 500 head and probably 4x10 cab, but I've gone off the idea lately and started looking at others, fancying both Gallien Kreuger 1001RBII's and various Ampegs and Markbasses. Always intended to go head and cab as opposed to another combo, and also to up the wattage somewhat-the Ashdown is OK but a bit more headroom is always nice. However funds are as usual somewhat limited and I'm running out of things to sell! I'm eyeing up a used 300 watt Trace Elliot 1x15 combo, which is more within my price range. I suspect that this might be louder than the Ashdown despite the same wattage-it's a pre-Gibson designed Trace. I like a fairly trebly sound with not too much bottom end-is this feasible with a 1x15? And if I add a 2x10 cab is this going to lose me a lot of volume? I suspect I should be hanging on until I can afford the GK, which is top of the list at the moment, but that's a long way off and I will then have to find a cab to go with it, so the Trace is looking like a tempting upgrade without having to shell out too much. Opinions?[/quote]

I became an Ashdown user about 10 years ago having spent the previous 30 years with a variety of bass combos and, latterly, Peavey 1x15 combos.

The first Asdown I used was a 1x15 ABM Combo and I ahve to say that, although it served me well, I was never totally bowled over by the slight lack of top end snap as a result of the lone 15. Like you, my funds were limited, but what I actually ended up with was a Mag 2x10 Combo and a Mag 1x15 Deep Cab which were so reasonably priced that the sale of my ABM funded the purchase of the Mag Combo and Deep Cab AND a Boss TU2 AND I still had change left over. Financially, it was a great deal but "what about the gear?" I hear you cry. :) :huh:

Well, what can I say other than that this combination has proved both bomb proof and ideal for my purposes for about the last 6 years now. For rehearsal and small/quiet gigs, I just use the combo and for bigger venues/stages and when I want to move some air, I stand the combo on the 1x15 Deep Cab and I'm golden. :huh: :huh:

The most important point, though, is that, to my ears, the sound I'm getting from the Mag gear is significantly BETTER than what I was getting with the earlier ABM stuff. I know that will always be subjective, but I would certainly warn you off the Trace 1x15 Combo if your are looking a "trebly with not too much bottom" sound. Seems to me that 10s are going to be pretty essential to achieve that - agreed?

My advice would be to not let the fact that your current Mag combo is from a "budget" range influence your decision to upgrade. I have consistently been complimented on my rig by both other players and Sound Engineers alike, and I've often wondered if they would be saying the same things if they knew how cheaply I had bought it. :huh: :huh:

Not sure if any of that is going to be of any help to you, but just my 2 pence worth.

Good luck in your search, whatever direction it takes you in. :huh: :huh:

I'm not sure if this is particularly useful but......

I have a HH 2 x 12" guitar combo that is amazingly loud (don't know it's watt rating) and has a gorgeous "toppy" or "jazzy" sound for bass. If you could find one of them, it'd be perfect. You won't beleive the sheer volume you can get from one of these, and it has no problem keeping up with the low end either (including low A on the 6 string).

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='50039' date='Aug 24 2007, 11:46 AM']I'm eyeing up a used 300 watt Trace Elliot 1x15 combo, which is more within my price range. I suspect that this might be louder than the Ashdown despite the same wattage-it's a pre-Gibson designed Trace. I like a fairly trebly sound with not too much bottom end-is this feasible with a 1x15? And if I add a 2x10 cab is this going to lose me a lot of volume? I suspect I should be hanging on until I can afford the GK, which is top of the list at the moment, but that's a long way off and I will then have to find a cab to go with it, so the Trace is looking like a tempting upgrade without having to shell out too much. Opinions?[/quote]

Trace's are quite punchy and cut through anything, even their 15s. I mostly use a 15" cab, or a 15" combo and both have plenty of treble and attack.

If you add a 2x10 cab then you won't lose volume, you'll gain it! Well, you'll gain moving air and get the full power output from the amp, therefore yadda yadda yadda.....

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='50509' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:07 AM']I think the Trace 2x10 combo would DEFINITELY do the trick.

It has the "sound" you're seeking in spades IMHO. :) :huh:[/quote]

Sorry for the delay in reply chaps-Walman, your Trace was a bit outside my price range-I've bought the 1x15 previously mentioned-Eude's, in fact. Looking forward to getting my mitts on it. Thanks all for the advice.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='52209' date='Aug 29 2007, 10:43 AM']Sorry for the delay in reply chaps-Walman, your Trace was a bit outside my price range-I've bought the 1x15 previously mentioned-Eude's, in fact. Looking forward to getting my mitts on it. Thanks all for the advice.[/quote]
Let us know how you get on. Despite other advice to the contrary I think you'll ge ton fine with it! Trace's aren't really renowned for their massive bottom end so the sound you want is definitely there :) In fact I sometimes want slightly MORE bottom end out of mine...

from my own experience I'd say you're comparing the best with the worst. Go with a Trace definately -

bad experience - Ashdown EB115, only had it for about 3 months IIRC, then it crapped out on me at a soundcheck, waited far too long for it to be repaired by soundcontrol, I got it back and it developed the same fault within a week. Soundcontrol replaced it with the newer model, while i was waiting for that to arrive.......

good experience - I bought a second hand 4x19 GP12 smx, a bloody beast. It was (and probably still is) a fantastic, punchy combo, the only reason I sold it was because my band was at the time scaling things down while our drummer quit and the other two were procreating. If circumstances had been different I'd still have it now

Well it arrived this morning and first impressions are verrrrry favourable. For a start it's a bit smaller and lighter than my Ashdown, and no trouble whatsover getting the sound I was after! A really nice growl with my P-bass, love the compression, and although I've not had a chance to give it a good workout (rehearsing Friday) it's plenty louder than the Ashdown! Plus a general air of being well put together-I like the way the knobs click as they're turned. Was a bit unsure about doing this but I think I've made a good decision! Thanks again to everyone for your input.