Why become a member? ×

TRB6 Thru-neck basses

P-T-P

Been fighting the GAS for crazykiwi's Ken Smith 6 as I simply ain't got that kinda money to spend (at least not on what would be a bit of an indulgence really).

There's a TRB6P on eBay at the moment. It is a thru-neck job, flamed maple body etc.

What I'm wondering is, how different is the neck profile on these thru-neck basses to the bolt on models, in particular the TRB1006?

I played a thru-neck one about 15 years ago and loved it, always lusted after one. Bought a TRB1006 back last year and hated the shape of the neck which seemed to be quite a solid D shace whereas I'm far happier with something closer to a ) shape (this is hopefully making sense to someone!).

Anyone throw light on the subject for me? Am I just clouded by reverie when thinking back to the TRB from 15 years ago?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='50072' date='Aug 24 2007, 12:29 PM']The TRB neck is very wide and flat, i.e. not a D. I love it.[/quote]

Thanks, sorry to be a pain, so the back of the neck is a smoothly sweeping, quite shallow curve from the treble to bass side, something like this ) ?

The TRB1006 I had was a definite three side affair that I hated. Reminded me of the neck on a Status SmartBass 4 string I tried.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='50077' date='Aug 24 2007, 12:38 PM']Thanks, sorry to be a pain, so the back of the neck is a smoothly sweeping, quite shallow curve from the treble to bass side, something like this ) ?

The TRB1006 I had was a definite three side affair that I hated. Reminded me of the neck on a Status SmartBass 4 string I tried.[/quote]

I'm selling one of the original TRB6's in the for sale section at the moment, this has the very flat (in my opinion) neck, much like the thrunecks I have tried previously. This is one of the main reason the jap trbs are so sought after a nice wide flat neck wtih wide spacing.

Blimey, for a strange neck profile you ought to try my Wal. Never mind a D, it's more like a > ..! :)

The TRBsixers are lovely instruments, but with the standard string spacing they are simply too wwwwwwide for my silly stumpy little fingers. Such a pity, cos they really are gorgeous.