Why become a member? ×

I'm off to NZ.

Kiwi

I think I like New Zealand, they just give you loads of money!

[i]"Police in New Zealand are searching for a couple who disappeared after a banking blunder deposited NZ$10m (£3.9m, US$6m) in their account.

The couple had applied for a NZ$10,000 overdraft but received NZ$10m in their business account instead, part of which they withdrew, local media report.

They are said to have run a service station in Rotorua, North Island.

Police believe the couple have left the country and Interpol has been alerted for assistance. "[/i]

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8060681.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8060681.stm[/url]

Rich - thanks mate :rolleyes: Looks like the weather in NZ is going to be the same as in the UK. Eight degrees in both Chch and Peterborough! Here comes another winter...

JPAC - LOL, the funny thing is that this couple probably think they can get away with it and the naivety isn't surprising. NZ authorities managed to snag the pair of french agents who blew up the Rainbow Warrior so this couple must seriously fancy their chances.

[al] - I made it to BKK in one piece and even got a full row of 4 seats to myself to lie full stretch on! Best nights kip I've ever had on a long haul flight!

Den - thanks :lol:, I won't be too far away, just a different time zone.

When I checked the bass safe this morning in the hotel, it looked like the barrel on one of the padlocks securing the bass safe containing the Shuker 6 and Axon AX100 had been damaged sufficiently that I couldn't open it with the key. The other lock and the nylon ties were fine. I'm not sure if the damage was malicious because someone could have quite easily just made off with the whole instrument if they'd wanted. Bit of a sobering thought though. I had to ask one of the hotel staff here in BKK to twist the lock off - which they managed to do with two pairs of pliers without any problems at all! :) Think I might invest in a couple of more substantial padlocks...

[quote name='Platypus' post='492915' date='May 20 2009, 06:30 AM']and don't forget to put the cat out[/quote]

Have a nice trip, Steve
New Zealand needs you :)
[url="http://www.musolist.com/New-Zealand/Christchurch"]http://www.musolist.com/New-Zealand/Christchurch[/url]

Edited by OldGit

Hi everyone, I made it over in one piece! No sign of swine flu, plus I had a great stop over in food-tastic Bangkok and my family were there to meet me at the airport. Things seem a load more positive here than in the UK, by comparison people here so far seem optimistic and perhaps a little grateful that NZ hasn't been stung by the credit crunch as badly as the UK.

It's a stark contrast to the cynicism and bitterness being played out in the media and political arenas in the UK at the moment and very refreshing, I have to say. People who I've caught up with are all telling me I made the right decision in coming back and the level of support here is quite touching. For example, I was chatting to a woman who runs a shop in Chch that imports english food items. I noted that she'd imported packs of McVities caramel chocolate digestives (very moreish) and she offered me a free pack! I can't imagine that ever happening in the UK. I'd also forgotten how cheap it was to live here. While food is about the same cost as the UK, other living costs like car insurance seem incredibly cheap.

My father pays $500 (£200) a year to insure his 4 year old Honda Accord fully comprehensive and I've been made an additional driver for no extra charge! Haircuts can be had for $10 (thats about £4). There's also a greater range of property prices being offered by estate agents. While houses can be as expensive as the UK (and much larger) at the upper end of the market, there are more cheaper properties around for first time buyers to pick up too.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='498383' date='May 26 2009, 11:30 PM']Hi everyone, I made it over in one piece! No sign of swine flu, plus I had a great stop over in food-tastic Bangkok and my family were there to meet me at the airport. Things seem a load more positive here than in the UK, by comparison people here so far seem optimistic and perhaps a little grateful that NZ hasn't been stung by the credit crunch as badly as the UK.

It's a stark contrast to the cynicism and bitterness being played out in the media and political arenas in the UK at the moment and very refreshing, I have to say. People who I've caught up with are all telling me I made the right decision in coming back and the level of support here is quite touching. For example, I was chatting to a woman who runs a shop in Chch that imports english food items. I noted that she'd imported packs of McVities caramel chocolate digestives (very moreish) and she offered me a free pack! I can't imagine that ever happening in the UK. I'd also forgotten how cheap it was to live here. While food is about the same cost as the UK, other living costs like car insurance seem incredibly cheap.

My father pays $500 (£200) a year to insure his 4 year old Honda Accord fully comprehensive and I've been made an additional driver for no extra charge! Haircuts can be had for $10 (thats about £4). There's also a greater range of property prices being offered by estate agents. While houses can be as expensive as the UK (and much larger) at the upper end of the market, there are more cheaper properties around for first time buyers to pick up too.[/quote]

Never mind all that, tell us about the sheep, the sheep! :)

Mmm that would be nice. Just the cute ones though. [i]Kidding[/i].

Don't know much about NZ really so it would be interesting to see a few street photos to compare it with the UK. My junior school teacher in the 60's said they made 25 tons of butter at a time there and it freaked her out.

The Co-Op bought Somerfields recently and closed my local supermarket so now I have to shop in a different supermarket, all very strange, and more expensive. A lot of young people here don't even bother with insurance, the 18 yr old apprentice mechanic in my street just had a 15 year old Renault Clio that cost £2,500 to insure. £100 to buy.

Tomtom just released an update for NZ maps if you have one, very useful.

One guy I was an apprentice with wanted to go to NZ but they wanted £100,000 in savings to allow him in. :)

[quote name='JPAC' post='498488' date='May 27 2009, 07:10 AM']Tomtom just released an update for NZ maps if you have one, very useful.

One guy I was an apprentice with wanted to go to NZ but they wanted £100,000 in savings to allow him in. :)[/quote]

Yeah I downloaded and installed the NZ maps before I left. I thought 70 quid was a bit steep but its not like I had a lot of choice.

Those savings criteria come into play if he's not one of their preferred professional groups, such as dentists, doctors, lawyers, IT etc. etc. Insurance in the UK is a bit of a con, but I think you'll find loads of posts on here about that.

Owning a mobile phone and accessing the internet are both more expensive in NZ and gas/electricity is about the same cost as the UK now (despite NZ being self sufficient in both). Prices are usually higher because of monopolies.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='498509' date='May 27 2009, 08:57 AM']Yeah I downloaded and installed the NZ maps before I left. I thought 70 quid was a bit steep but its not like I had a lot of choice.

Those savings criteria come into play if he's not one of their preferred professional groups, such as dentists, doctors, lawyers, IT etc. etc. Insurance in the UK is a bit of a con, but I think you'll find loads of posts on here about that.

Owning a mobile phone and accessing the internet are both more expensive in NZ and gas/electricity is about the same cost as the UK now (despite NZ being self sufficient in both). Prices are usually higher because of monopolies.[/quote]

Sounds like life is finally looking up mate ..

How about that job?

Have an interview tomorrow afternoon with one practice and the other practice asked me to let them know what I'm offered. Meanwhile my sister seems pretty well connected within the retail business owners/managers and developers in the city (being a shop manager herself) and there seems to be some potential to go it alone too if I can win them over.

Blimey, only just noticed this thread. Less than one month from first post to arriving in NZ. That's pretty good going. probably beats parcelfarce's record.
Anyway, I would have wished you bon voyage but as you're already there then I won't :). Glad to read that you made it over relatively painlessly, and good luck with the jobhunting.
Steve

Only just noticed this, and it's a fait accompli already!
All the best CK!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='476768' date='May 1 2009, 10:21 AM']So what this means is [u]I'll still be on Basschat[/u] but I'll be 12 hours ahead of the UK.[/quote]
It's the mod's ideal.. you'll be able to delete inappropriate material before we even write it! :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='498383' date='May 26 2009, 11:30 PM']I was chatting to a woman who runs a shop in Chch that imports english food items. I noted that she'd imported packs of McVities caramel chocolate digestives (very moreish) and she offered me a free pack![/quote]
That's it.. I'm emigrating!

[quote name='JPAC' post='498488' date='May 27 2009, 08:10 AM']Mmm that would be nice. Just the cute ones though. [i]Kidding[/i].[/quote]

I know, but anyway...just for you. Freshly picked this morning after I went for a drive.

[attachment=26149:DSC02126.JPG]

baaa-aaa-yoootiful! :)

[quote name='hubrad' post='498582' date='May 27 2009, 11:12 AM']Only just noticed this, and it's a fait accompli already!
All the best CK![/quote]

[quote name='SteveO' post='498524' date='May 27 2009, 09:36 AM']Glad to read that you made it over relatively painlessly, and good luck with the jobhunting.[/quote]

Cheers Steve, Hubrand :rolleyes:

The meeting I had last night seemed to go well and the Director of the larger practice has asked me if I'd like to come up to Auckland to meet the rest of their office.

Unfortunately in relation to the other job, one of the agents is trying to play games with me over the cost of airfares to Auckland just because he thinks he has me over a barrel now I'm here. Hays Recruitment have a goddawful reputation in the UK for being cowboys and I thought their NZ operation would be better but it appears not. Having said that, I've set up another meeting with the city council here who turned me down for two team leaders jobs. The aim is to discuss further opportunities.

Whereever I end up, it looks like I will be expected to blow my own trumpet a bit. There seems to be an opportunity to influence how current NZ planning legislation recognises urban regeneration issues.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='500535' date='May 29 2009, 05:41 AM']I know, but anyway...just for you. Freshly picked this morning after I went for a drive.
...[/quote]

You know your sheep all right and so big.

What about some street scenes? 600px x 400px would be fine. GPS co-ordinates would be great so I can look it up on my Tomtom.

I've heard that NZ is the way the UK was in the 50's.

[quote name='JPAC' post='500829' date='May 29 2009, 12:49 PM']You know your sheep all right and so big.[/quote]
That one came runner up in Miss Eweniverse 2007.

[quote name='JPAC' post='500829' date='May 29 2009, 12:49 PM']I've heard that NZ is the way the UK was in the 50's.[/quote]
I think it would be fair to say that NZ has moved on a bit now. For example, Christchurch residents now enjoy a modern lifestyle:

They have access to modern lifestyle conveniences including fully enclosed cars and airplanes with two engines:

Christchurch is also economically competitive, and is taking a leading role in developing and exporting cutting edge technology for overseas markets. Like rubber widgets for car battery terminals and recyclable spankulators:

So I think you might find that all these 1950's references are probably malicious rumours.

That's just how I thought it would be, thanks. Or like this, [url="http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street"]http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street[/url]

My dad still insists on Anchor butter, despite the high price and carbon footprint of travelling half way around the world.

[quote name='JPAC' post='501077' date='May 29 2009, 04:21 PM']That's just how I thought it would be, thanks. Or like this, [url="http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street"]http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street[/url][/quote]

Thats a Peter Jackson film set. They couldn't afford to create a set at an extreme angle so they built everything at 15 degree angle and set the camera up so the verticals were true. See the clever positioning of the fern? Thats to hide a couple of 6 inch bolts through the blokes shoes.

This is how it looks in reality.

[quote name='JPAC' post='501077' date='May 29 2009, 04:21 PM']My dad still insists on Anchor butter, despite the high price and carbon footprint of travelling half way around the world.[/quote]
Does he pop back there to get it then?

[quote name='foal30' post='501358' date='May 29 2009, 11:55 PM']Christchurch is a great place to live
it's not like the 1950's at all[/quote]
Indeed, some of those cars were from 1963 at least.

[quote name='foal30' post='501358' date='May 29 2009, 11:55 PM']I should know because I was born in 1972.[/quote]
I like Christchurch people, because for residents of a provincial city, they are broadminded and able to laugh at themselves.

well it beats crying for sure

Chch does have it's class system and some pretty blatant racism that goes hand in hand with such societal orders but I can't think of a better place to raise the Whanau

school is 2 mins walk
beach is 4 mins walk
kindy was the same
tennis club 10 mins walk
football club 15 mins

I can Bus to work for only $21/week
you can't run a car for that homeslice
cycling is a snip 'cods the place is predominantly flat

Chch fan club starts here

Crying maybe but you only have to listen to More FM to hear the whinging just before an All Blacks vs Lions rugby match.

I don't know much about the rascism apart from knowing the Tongans and Samoans fancy a pot shot at each other occasionally. But petty point scoring does seem to typify the NZ approach to managing inter-personal conflicts in general anyway. And the if-it-takes-too-long-to-solve-it-then-force-it approach to problem solving (which often results in breakage/personal acrimony and subsequently some scratching of heads while wondering where it went wrong). Jeez. There's some stuff coming up that I've forgotten since leaving here - or maybe I'm just more aware of it now that I've returned.

However, theres the odd dramatic view here and there if one fancies a drive...

[attachment=26185:Port_Hil...yttleton.jpg]
Not bad, eh?

I had a stunning meal tonight at a restaurant down the road which would shame a lot of reputable London restaurants. Seafood spaghetti main where the seafood actually had bags of flavour and the spaghetti was perfectly aldente for $25. I'd probably have pay £25 for that in London.