Why become a member? ×

I'm off to NZ.

Kiwi

wizbat, Born 2B Mild, silverfoxnik, benwhiteuk, grumble - thanks guys :)

Spartacus, if I hadn't signed the contract last week I would have been extremely interested. I've gone with Doree Bonner who were the lowest on both shipping and insurance. Gnn. Nevermind, eh?

MB1 - Welcome To Royston Kiwi, you can never leave.

Nick - it wasn't planned this way as you well know.

All the best chap.

As I recall the gist of a comment my old vocalist made during our last gig about 18 years ago (well what I consider the last gig & still brings a lump to my throat when I listen to the tape) you'll be spending all day eating lamb sandwiches and polishing your shoes with a bit of Kiwiboot polish :)

Good luck mate. When I left NZ in the late 80s it was because I though it was a cultural desert. I think it's much less isolated these days. I almost yearn for those beaches again...almost...

Martin

Walman - thanks :)

[quote name='Kirky' post='478752' date='May 4 2009, 07:36 AM']Good luck mate. When I left NZ in the late 80s it was because I though it was a cultural desert. I think it's much less isolated these days. I almost yearn for those beaches again...almost...

Martin[/quote]
Martin, you're right. Musically, kiwi's like their music to have a bit of an edge to it so indie, rock and metal are all very popular along with sort of finn brothers/bic runga/conchords folky-pop type stuff. Whether there's a market for the funky, dancy kind of stuff I'm into, I don't know. I'm going to have to check that out I think.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='478785' date='May 4 2009, 09:57 AM']There's DEF. a market for FUNKY DANCE style stuff.... LOTSA islanders there who LOVE their funk!! As long as it's got Sooouuul!!!! Good luck Man!![/quote]
Really? Definitely got to be an Auckland thing then given the largest population of pacific lslanders live there (more than in the islands!)

Don't want to be a party-pooper BUT I understood that the world wide recession/depression that has hit the UK and USA is now, after a lag period, hitting other countries such as Australia, NZ and South Africa. Only last week I was told the story of a heavily qualified master carpenter who 6 months ago had his arm bitten-off by the Australian's to go out and work there, but having put all the forms in some 6 weeks ago, they are now not interested.

Hope it works out for you.

Hi Don, fair point and one that has been in the back of my mind.

Having said that, I think the NZ property market has been following the UK market pretty closely to date so based on that I'm not sure about how pronounced the lag is. I've also been in contact with people there already who I know and they seem fairly optimistic. However even if things go tits up, I still have immediate family to fall back on and cheaper retraining options than in the UK. For example, Christchurch has one of the cheapest commercial pilot training centres in the Commonwealth so I could potentially consider that as an option (cue: flying kiwi jokes :) )

So strategically and logically NZ is still the safer option for me.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='479014' date='May 4 2009, 02:40 PM']Surely you mean 'down'?[/quote]
If they're your tits Howard, you can have them sunny side down if you prefer. Just don't call me Shirley.

Johnnylager - yes, pile her in, if she's house trained, she can keep an eye on things. I hope the other eye doesn't get bored though, its a 10-12 week journey.

BTW, how many cubic metres will she occupy and what is her replacement value at destination for insurance purposes?

when NZ is asleep? when isn't it?

many Kiwi's work in Sydney.
yes, because Australians wont

No cultural desert here... we are world leaders in all sorts of things specific to Dairy Farming.
You cannot raise Cattle in any form of Desert.

Christchurch eh...

thanks Dave :)

Foal30 - yep coming back to Chch until something else happens. There's another lead working for CCC too so watch this space. Even if I end up returning to the UK, I can always store my stuff for free at my parents place.

Hey Ben, yes Auckland seems to still be relatively optimistic from what I can tell. Two of my job leads in private practice are there at the moment and I have contacts in Auckland City Council too.

You know the ironic thing though? One of the companies I used to work for are recruiting again this week because they've got too much overseas work. I had to turn them down though because my plans to move were already in place and there was no guarantee that they wouldn't let me go again if work dried up suddenly. I'm a little hacked off about the timing but its possible that things might be on the up at last with at least those companies with overseas contacts.