Why become a member? ×

I'm off to NZ.

Kiwi

I've made references to it in some of my posts recently but for any of you who weren't aware, I'm emigrating to NZ in a few weeks.

The reasons are 100% economic and to fall back on the support of family while I get my career in urban regeneration back on a stable footing. After being made redundant three times because of a lack of projects, it seems to me that even if I do snag another job in the UK, there's nothing preventing the same thing from happening a fourth time. I also needed to make the decision to emigrate while I could still afford it.

I really don't want to leave the UK but well placed contacts I have in the property development sector are also telling me there's going to be a load more pain to go through in the commercial property market yet before things get better. So it looks like more people in my profession are going to be made redundant as cash and credit reserves are exhausted by developers and commissions continue to dry up. (Just so I don't appear to be a purveyor of doom and gloom, I think other sectors like service industries and manufacturing are going to pick up sooner because they're less reliant on credit). But the short story is that I'm probably looking at years rather than months before things get better.

So what this means is [u]I'll still be on Basschat[/u] but I'll be 12 hours ahead of the UK. It also means I won't be able to respond quickly to PM's or situations if they occur during the middle of the day (while NZ is asleep) and obviously I won't be able to physically attend any more Bassbashes unless I happen to be in the UK on holiday or something when one is on.

Maybe when the banks lose some of their arrogance and recognise first time buyers as a valuable market once again, then things will look a load more positive for everyone.

Anyways, just wanted to let you all know about that just in case any of you need a quick response on anything at some point in the future.

Thanks chaps :) I'm going to miss the UK. The one job opportunity that was lined up seems to have descended into some squabbling between the funding organisations over who is paying for it and whether it should be permanent or temporary! There was another one with Rich's employer but Cambridge. However even this role been withdrawn because of the economic situation. That works out to be about one vacancy a month!

[quote name='chris_b' post='476791' date='May 1 2009, 10:42 AM']Best of luck. I seem to recall there being a [i]lot[/i] of New Zealanders in Sydney for the work. Any chance you'll end up there?[/quote]
Its definitely something I can look into after I've landed. But I've got rellies in Sydney who are saying that the uncertainty has hit the engineering sector there at least, and that sector is usually closely linked to regeneration by the same clients. I've got two job leads in Auckland that are looking good and even the council who I didn't get a job with asked me to get in contact with them once I land as they have another position they want to fill. So even when I haven't been successful, the effort hasn't been a total write off either.

All the best with the move mate. I'm getting stressed about having to move 3 miles down the road on tuesday, so can't imagine how you're feeling with a move half way round the world :)
I hope it all works out for you and that your new life prooves to be a great success.

[quote name='Wooks' post='476806' date='May 1 2009, 10:55 AM']can't imagine how you're feeling with a move half way round the world[/quote]
I've just spent three days inventorising everything I own for the purpose of insurance and that was a real grind. Apart from that, I've just chosen a company that will do all the packing for me and tried to anticipate what I need by way of gear before I leave, as its going to be a bit more expensive to purchase anything in NZ.

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='476822' date='May 1 2009, 11:11 AM']you could always leave some of your gear (specifically the Alembic or Pedulla) at Obi's shack pending your return[/quote]
LOL, Ped already offered but thanks. :)

[quote name='mike257' post='476831' date='May 1 2009, 11:18 AM']I'm only [i]slightly[/i] jealous!![/quote]
Well its a small consolation to me but Mercer's Quality of Living survey for 2009 has just been released with the following results:

Top 5 cities - Overall

Vienna, Austria (1st)

Zurich, Switzerland (2nd)

Geneva, Switzerland (3rd )

Vancouver, Canada (tied 4th)

Auckland, New Zealand (tied 4th)

[url="http://www.mercer.com/referencecontent.htm?idContent=1173105#Top_50_cities:_Quality_of_living"]http://www.mercer.com/referencecontent.htm...ality_of_living[/url]

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='476836' date='May 1 2009, 11:22 AM']I guess it will go a bit quiet for you on the forum whilst you transact the move and we should also allow you time to settle in there because I suppose you'll be a bit upside down for a while.

Good luck.[/quote]
Thanks Howard, it'll be no surprise to you then that this is how some NZ'ers prefer look at the world:

:rolleyes:

Best of luck mate, will you be going to Te Ika-a-Māui or Te Wai Pounamu?

[url="http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10567873"]http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article....jectid=10567873[/url]

Thanks Marty, Josh and JPAC.

Josh, we call 'Te Wai Pounamu' the Mainland. :)

My family are based in Christchuch but work may well take me to Auckland where I have some contacts from my time in London.

FWIW, I'll have a couple of hours to kill in London around knock off time on May 20th if any of the London based members fancy hooking up for one last drink before I head off to Heathrow? PM me if you're interested.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='477032' date='May 1 2009, 02:13 PM']FWIW, I'll have a couple of hours to kill in London around knock off time on May 20th if any of the London based members fancy hooking up for one last drink before I head off to Heathrow? PM me if you're interested.[/quote]

You buying?

:)