Why become a member? ×

Black or Gold?

BigRedX

The ACG pre-amp arrived on Thursday and I finally got around to fitting it yesterday.

I've put the gold knobs on and I think these are the ones. Because they're much bigger than the original knobs I think that black would be too overwhelming now. The pre-amp itself is absolutely amazing! I'll be using this at rehearsal tomorrow night through my rig, but just through the BassPod and my studio monitors it's possible to really fine tune the sound and get for me just the right mix of bottom end thump and middly mwah...

Ta!

The gold isn't quite the same colour in some lighting conditions as the existing Pedulla hardware (which seems darker/greener?) but it's close enough for it not to be a problem for me. I'll be adding my review to the review thread and some sound clips just as soon as I've found my ideal settings.

Yeah, the difference in the gold colour doesn't seem that different as it's come via the camera and my monitor, if it's not going to bug you then it looks great!

The only issue I've had with the ACG-East pre is that there is only 1 dot on the knobs, so if I forget where I set them and glance down, then knowing whether the lower ring was all the way round or not can be tricky.

Yeah, I spoke to Roger at THG (spelling?) about making some wooden knobs that are 2 woods glued together at 45 degrees so they form a wedge so the position of the knob could be seen from any angle (see diagram).

I'm sure it would have done an excellent job, but it worked out at just under £200 for a set with texes landed in the UK.

Once I have my second bass with the pre I'm going to look further into this to either see if the cheap-ebay guy can do the same thing for much less, or if I should buy myself a lathe for £50 and spend a while learning how to use it!

Edited by Alpha-Dave