Why become a member? ×

Black or Gold?

BigRedX

I bought this Pedulla Buzz

from eubassix ealier this year and while it plays beautifully, after hearing the sound clips on daflewis' ACG/East pre-amp review I think that a pre-amp upgrade make this bass really sing.

So what do you think - black or gold knobs when I order it?
Normally I'm pretty sure about my taste in things, but this time I really can't make up my mind. On the whole I don't really like gold hardware, but on this bass it definitely works, and I'm wondering should I go all gold to match the bridge, machine heads and strap buttons, or stay black as knobs currently are?

Thanks for all the replies.

I may well see if I can get it with both black and gold knobs and then see which looks best when actually fitted to the bass as the different style of knob compared with the current ones will have an outcome on the "look".

BTW there was supposed to a poll to go with this thread but despite selecting poll options and filling them in, it doesn't seem to have materialised. What did I do wrong?

I once landed on the site of a Boutique Mfr who had a statement on one of their pages to the effect: "we will NEVER construct a bass with Gold hardware, so don't even ask!"..... I think they were French, has anyone else seen this? as I've not been able to find them since and starting to suspect I dreamt the whole thing! They were damn fine looking instruments as I recall.......

I remember that. They were one of the many web pages I looked at when I was searching for interesting bass manufacturers/luthiers. I seem to remember that they won't do lined fretless either. On the whole I tend to agree with their no gold hardware policy, but I've got used to the look of the gold on the Buzz.

I'd say keep it the way it is. I've fitted a set of alembic activator pickups to my Pentabuzz which freed up a whole load of midrange growl. A set of EMG's might have a similar effect. If you fancy a set of alembics, I do have a spare set going but they're not cheap.

Ta CK,

Can you tell me a bit more about your Alembic Activator Pickups? I had a look on the Alembic site but there wasn't much info and they only seemed to be available with a pre-amp and as a JJ set and what looked like a pair of Soap-bars. Obviously I need a P-J set...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='51466' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:00 PM']Ta CK,

Can you tell me a bit more about your Alembic Activator Pickups? I had a look on the Alembic site but there wasn't much info and they only seemed to be available with a pre-amp and as a JJ set and what looked like a pair of Soap-bars. Obviously I need a P-J set...[/quote]
Mine's a PJ set. Pic of my other set (now fitted to the Pedulla) below.

Preamp circuit is here:

This set of pups doesn't have the solder free connectors, but the set I have spare does. They're passive so can work with any preamp system assuming the impedances are precisely matched. Alemboid was interested in them as part of a trade but he's in France at the mo, so if you're interested then let me know. I'll send pics of the actual set so you know what you're getting.

Many thanks for the pics and info. I had a look at the Pentabuzz on your site and listened to the sound clips - very nice!

I really like my Buzz to play and the sound unplugged is pretty much what I'm after, it just doesn't seem to be quite getting through the electronics, and amplified the D and G strings don't have quite the "authority" to E and A do. I'm going to try the East/ACG pre-amp first and see how I get on. However feel free to PM me with a price you're looking for for the Pickups because I might go for those too!

[quote name='lwtait' post='52684' date='Aug 30 2007, 11:11 AM']chrome[/quote]

Ha Ha...

Unfortunately you're too late I sent my order off this morning to Alan, and I'll be getting both black and gold so I can decide when I see them in place. Expect more pics in a week or so...