Why become a member? ×

Cab castors

niceguyhomer

I think you'll have to try it and see. As you know already the Epi Ul310 likes to keep intimate contact with the floor in order to deliver lots of bass. I once put castors on a Trace 1048H, 10x4 and it just sucked all the bass out however some years prior to that I had a Marshall 4x10 on castors and that was just fine. Experimentation required me thinks.

You must let us know how you get on with the GK 2x12.

[quote name='obbm' post='50493' date='Aug 25 2007, 07:20 AM']You must let us know how you get on with the GK 2x12.[/quote]

Will do Dave - I think it'll be on the floor tonight. The place we're playing has a stone floor and walls and it's a long narrow room that's just wide enough for guitar, bass and drums. A bit of a challenging debut methinks.

Anyway, I played it quite loudly at home yesterday afternoon and I couldn't get over the fact that for the first time, my Stingray actually sounded like a Stingray. Looking forward to tonight.

During the soundcheck try one song with casters then tip it on its side for the next, even better if the band will run through half a song then let you change and run through the same song!

There are plenty of knowledgeable bods on here who could tell you why it should or shouldn't sound better but there's nothing like trusting your own ears; BUT do it on stage and out front if possible.

I'm just about to fit some caster to my trace 4x10 - it's so heavy that I'll be tempted to leave it at a gig if I don't.

Hopefully it won't affect the sound too much but I'll look out for some removeable casters just in case.

Homer - let us know how you get on - I'll be very interested in the results.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='50500' date='Aug 25 2007, 09:05 AM']Will do Dave - I think it'll be on the floor tonight. The place we're playing has a stone floor and walls and it's a long narrow room that's just wide enough for guitar, bass and drums. A bit of a challenging debut methinks.

Anyway, I played it quite loudly at home yesterday afternoon and I couldn't get over the fact that for the first time, my Stingray actually sounded like a Stingray. Looking forward to tonight.[/quote]

Have you played through an Epifani t-212?

(sorry to be off topic).

I have permanent castors on my Hartke PRO 2200 2x12". I thought I might lose that feeling of the bass through the stage with the reduced contact area, but all seems to be fine. With hind-sight, and if I ever get bored of my rig, I'll probably get a sack barrow for any future cabs. That way I can wheel them into the venue and still have full contact with the floor. Plus I can use the sack barrow to help out with the other PA gear.

Just a quick update - I was a bit unsure about my new cab after the first gig last week, which was in a long, narrow room with stone floors and walls. It sounded a bit middy but last night we played in a 'normal' room - carpet / curtains / tables & chairs etc and I had the castors on and it sounded great.

I think you do lose a bit of bottom end but it sounded tighter to my ears, the castors are staying on mine.