Why become a member? ×

The travelling effect - DHA Passive Blender

Toasted

I have a DHA Dual Loop Blender on my desk. I've been reviewing it for him. We've agreed that we will send this on a little tour of the UK. If you would like to demo the blender please reply to this thread. I will gather your information, form a mailing list and we will all try it out. I've found this to be a powerful sound sculpting tool. When everyone who has had the opportunity that wants to we will raffle the pedal for a cancer research charity of DHA's choice.

It is exactly the same as this one on Dave's website.

[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20Passive%20Dual%20Blender.htm"]http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20...l%20Blender.htm[/url]

Right now the list is:

Basszilla
Joegarcia
Waldo
Finnbass
Vegas Hooker
Slaphappygarry
Pablocien
Funkyassbassman

Anymore for anymore?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just got back from tour to find this waiting for me. Looks good. :-)
How long are we supposed to keep it for? Obviously the sooner I could move it on the better. I don't have much on this week so could give it a blast at home but would be really up for taking it to Glastonbury at the weekend. I'm playing on the Sunday and could send it straight off after that.
Does that sound reasonable? Would be good to put it through it's paces on a festival stage.

Also, if Waldo could PM me his address that would be great.
Thanks.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='19184' date='Jun 17 2007, 04:18 PM']Ok, just got back from tour to find this waiting for me. Looks good. :-)
How long are we supposed to keep it for? Obviously the sooner I could move it on the better. I don't have much on this week so could give it a blast at home but would be really up for taking it to Glastonbury at the weekend. I'm playing on the Sunday and could send it straight off after that.
Does that sound reasonable? Would be good to put it through it's paces on a festival stage.

Also, if Waldo could PM me his address that would be great.
Thanks.[/quote]

Hi,

Take it to Glastonbury please, even if I never get to play there one of my babys will :)

Thanks and I look forward to your comments.

regards

Dave

[quote name='DHA' post='19249' date='Jun 17 2007, 07:38 PM']Hi,

Take it to Glastonbury please, even if I never get to play there one of my babys will :)

Thanks and I look forward to your comments.

regards

Dave[/quote]

Cool ok.
It'll be on the BBC stage on Sunday at about 6pm I think. :-) I'm playing with Rose Kemp.

just out of interest, why did you choose this pedal to tour the uk? i would have thought it woulda been cooler to send round a more interesting effect, say a valvetone or a bob the blender

[quote name='BassManKev' post='21630' date='Jun 21 2007, 10:22 PM']just out of interest, why did you choose this pedal to tour the uk? i would have thought it woulda been cooler to send round a more interesting effect, say a valvetone or a bob the blender[/quote]

It's the newest pedal, and it's also quite innovative. There's nothing like it on the market & passive.

Guys:

I'm not being a control freak - but could I control the list? I already have the addresses (apart from Waldo's, PM me!) and I've already plotted out a little route for it to go.

Joe will you let me know when you want to send it on? Good luck at Glasto?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='21630' date='Jun 21 2007, 10:22 PM']just out of interest, why did you choose this pedal to tour the uk? i would have thought it woulda been cooler to send round a more interesting effect, say a valvetone or a bob the blender[/quote]

We did that already. It's just cos it's new.

I guess who ever gets it after Joe will have to wash all the mud off :)

Dave

Edited by DHA

[quote name='DHA' post='22024' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:40 PM']We did that already. It's just cos it's new.

I guess who ever gets it after Joe will have to wash all the mud off :)

Dave[/quote]

Hehe, I actually went out today and bought wellies so I could keep my normal shoes clean for stage for this exact reason. :-)
Off to the festival in the morning, getting pretty nervous now.
Board looks good (if a bit messy) though, she looks right at home don't you think?

[attachment=889:24062007087.jpg]

It's so much smaller than my butchered, home made one. Think I may well have to buy one soon. Could use the extra space for more pedals!

Back and theres at least one shot of it in action here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2198&st=0&gopid=23447entry23447"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry23447[/url]

It did something quite weird at one point I have to say, I had lots of effects on in both channels at one point in two songs and it produced this strange feedback sound. Couldn't figure it out. When I turned off one of the pedals it stopped. Probably more to do with how I set it up as i didn't have much time to play with it before the gig although it didn't do that with the dual loop pedal I made.

I am completely penniless now (literally no money whatsoever) I'm afraid so I'll have to post it after I've been paid on Friday. Sorry to those waiting for it. If I can find a way of raising the £6 or so postage before that I'll get it straight off.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]It did something quite weird at one point I have to say, I had lots of effects on in both channels at one point in two songs and it produced this strange feedback sound. Couldn't figure it out. When I turned off one of the pedals it stopped. Probably more to do with how I set it up as i didn't have much time to play with it before the gig although it didn't do that with the dual loop pedal I made.[/quote]

Got the pedal yesterday.

It does the same thing when I use my metal zone. It sounds like feedback but it's more of a constant squealing sound and when I move the blend knob the actual pitch of the sound goes up and down, it's very strange! I've been using it with my strat and the squeal sound goes away when I have the pickup set to a non-single coil position, so it may be something to do with interference.

Any pearls of wisdom on this?

[quote name='Waldo' post='27444' date='Jul 5 2007, 01:55 PM']Got the pedal yesterday.

It does the same thing when I use my metal zone. It sounds like feedback but it's more of a constant squealing sound and when I move the blend knob the actual pitch of the sound goes up and down, it's very strange! I've been using it with my strat and the squeal sound goes away when I have the pickup set to a non-single coil position, so it may be something to do with interference.

Any pearls of wisdom on this?[/quote]

There will be limits to what a passive blender can do and there will be some pedals for which it just will not work.

The thing about passive blending is that in effect you put a high resistance decoupled feedback loop across the pedal in the loop and high gain pedals may feedback. You need an op-amp buffered blender or a valve buffered one like my Bob-the-blender in these cases.

Things like delay, chorus, wammy and most digital effects will be better suited to passive blending. It's a bit of suck it and see.

Dave