Why become a member? ×

Latest GAS attack

AussieBassman

well, last sunday dawned clear and fine, and the weather was set for a good winter day so we thought we'd just chill and have a few beers by the waterfront..on the way into town we saw a flyer advertising a jazz band on the eastern shore so we had a couple in the Custom House then caught the water taxi across the river.

on the way the boatman saw a pod of dolphins so we spent 10 mins enjoying their antics.

we got to the Bellerive Waterfront Tavern and settled in to watch Manhattan, and the bass player had one of these:

[url="http://rizzolo.customer.netspace.net.au/bass.htm"]http://rizzolo.customer.netspace.net.au/bass.htm[/url]

- the RB4 model, going through a Profet and a Hartke 4x10 and it sounded and looked awesome...... i think my OH would kill me if i spent $4000 on one though.

Erugh, it's a super jazz....and for $4000 (roughly 2k), considering the specs:

RB CUSTOM 4

* Walnut body and neck.
* Ebony Fretboard + Nut.
* Scale Length 34"
* 14" Radius fretboard with 12th fret inlay.
* Hipshot - Ultra tuners.
* Kent Armstrong Soapbar Humbuckers.
* P.U. selector + single coil switch/volume control
* Optional tone control
* S.K.B. case
* $4,000

It would need to have a really really good neck on it considering the pups, tuners and probably the bridge are just off the shelf parts so to speak.

[quote name='Buzz' post='50755' date='Aug 26 2007, 09:18 AM']Erugh, it's a super jazz....and for $4000 (roughly 2k), considering the specs:

RB CUSTOM 4

* Walnut body and neck.
* Ebony Fretboard + Nut.
* Scale Length 34"
* 14" Radius fretboard with 12th fret inlay.
* Hipshot - Ultra tuners.
* Kent Armstrong Soapbar Humbuckers.
* P.U. selector + single coil switch/volume control
* Optional tone control
* S.K.B. case
* $4,000
It would need to have a really really good neck on it considering the pups, tuners and probably the bridge are just off the shelf parts so to speak.[/quote]
it does, it plays like a dream.....what's your alternative to off-the-shelf parts?

Well in the UK the custom bass builders range from screwing stock parts to a luthier made body and neck to using own pups, actives, bridges etc. I dont think any make their own tuners but some like GB replace the keys with wood. In all fairness a lot of the pups are actually Aaron Armstrong and the actives John East but they are made to the builders spec and not generally available.