Why become a member? ×

So that's why the bass body is shaped like that!

FretBuzz

I think she's pretty cool- if I was put on tour with Herbie and Chick (1st name terms) I would spend most of the gig standing in a puddle of pee.
Is that Vinnie C on drums in the video?
Oops, more pee.

She is talented without question. Moreso for her age and no difference for her sex- lets see how she develops as a player over the next decade. I hope she gets used on her merits and not her novelty value.
Go Tal..

[quote name='EOS650' post='51125' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:22 AM']Well, I'm not offended and I a woman...

Anyway, I do admire that fact that she is 1. a female bass player and 2. Able to play that good even though she and I are the same age. Regardless of her tone and style, I really do think that she a lot better than me and like someone above said, has to to be able to play with such big name musicians... Which is an accomplishment in itself.

Are there any other good female bass players?[/quote]

there's Lydia...

the Youtube bassist...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/kaboesj"]http://www.youtube.com/user/kaboesj[/url]

She might get somewhere if she stopped all that tiddly widdly bass solo jazz rubbish w**k and started playing proper music like Suzi Quatro - The Goddess of Rock!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXok94y3nLg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXok94y3nLg[/url]
:)
And even better:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SXWgC0SLCA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SXWgC0SLCA[/url]
And then just totally brilliant:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwos1Dxc_iI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwos1Dxc_iI[/url]

Edited by 99ster

Its a chick,its playing Bass

THERE,thats a sexist comment....now you have a foundation to moan about it!

Bottom line:- She can play,looks cute,has a Berklee pedigree,has tasteful note choice,high quality gear endorsed or otherwise,and has the support of veterans of the music scene,and has been given a few killer gigs,out of her talent or favour regardless of how cynical you or I may be.

move on.

Haha, i just got the topic title, very funny, although in seriousness for some ladies i believe it is a physiological problem. My girlfriend plays guitar and makes the complaint often. Go check her (all girl) band btw [url="http://www.myspace.com/theshebeats"]THE SHEBEATS[/url].

Tal is a good player who will no doubt get better, but for me it does highlight the 'Who You Know' rule, not taking anything away from her, she's obviously worked hard, but probably more importantly she's made contacts!!

From a female bassist perspective if you close your eyes it all sounds the same, sex goes out the window.
Having said that, i could listen to this all day, [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aNGQor3dED8&mode=related&search="]
GAIL ANN DORSEY
[/url]

Si

p.s.
I concur that a decent female bassist is a novelty to some degree, simply because comparatively there aren't many ladies that play bass, let alone at that level. Just like Eminem was a novelty as a Caucasian in a typically non Caucasian genre of music, no-one means to play the race or gender card, but sometimes its the easiest way of explaining an anomaly.

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Hamster' post='51153' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:01 AM']So, a female playing a bass has a novelty value? :)[/quote]

Nah, I think the novelty is that she looks 12. So everyone thinks she's a child prodigy.

EDIT: Have to agree with SiBob about the 'Who You Know' thing. Btw, I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression - I don't think I'm as good as her. I just think there are much better bass players out there and her playing doesn't do anything for me at all.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='Sibob' post='51231' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:17 AM']From a female bassist perspective if you close your eyes it all sounds the same, sex goes out the window.
Having said that, i could listen to this all day, [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aNGQor3dED8&mode=related&search="]
GAIL ANN DORSEY
[/url][/quote]

is it me, or is David Bowie getting younger???

Not being funny - but the lass has studied bass at a world renowned music college so she jolly well should be good. When I were a lad, you could only have lessons in "proper" instruments at school and I can remember the fuss when I did the practical for my Music CSE on a banjo :)

It then followed that you could only study "proper" instruments at music college but now we have ACM and BIMM and being able to study bass guitar at Berklee. I'm not sure this is right - sure the lass has got all the chops and can sight read and everything but I keep getting this one thought - Elvis never went to singing school. Had Elvis gone to singing school, he would no longer have been Elvis.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='ARGH' post='51230' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:17 AM']Its a chick,its playing Bass

THERE,thats a sexist comment....now you have a foundation to moan about it!

Bottom line:- She can play,looks cute,has a Berklee pedigree,has tasteful note choice,high quality gear endorsed or otherwise,and has the support of veterans of the music scene,and has been given a few killer gigs,out of her talent or favour regardless of how cynical you or I may be.

move on.[/quote]

[quote name='Sibob' post='51231' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:17 AM']Haha, i just got the topic title, very funny, although in seriousness for some ladies i believe it is a physiological problem. My girlfriend plays guitar and makes the complaint often. Go check her (all girl) band btw [url="http://www.myspace.com/theshebeats"]THE SHEBEATS[/url].

Tal is a good player who will no doubt get better, but for me it does highlight the 'Who You Know' rule, not taking anything away from her, she's obviously worked hard, but probably more importantly she's made contacts!!

From a female bassist perspective if you close your eyes it all sounds the same, sex goes out the window.
GAIL ANN DORSEY
[/url]

Si

p.s.
I concur that a decent female bassist is a novelty to some degree, simply because comparatively there aren't many ladies that play bass, let alone at that level. Just like Eminem was a novelty as a Caucasian in a typically non Caucasian genre of music, no-one means to play the race or gender card, but sometimes its the easiest way of explaining an anomaly.[/quote]

Respect.

--

To the motherers:

We don't need to be mothered. We're all smart enough here to know that gender takes no part in opportunity for musicianship.

[quote name='Hamster' post='51153' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:01 AM']So, a female playing a bass has a novelty value? :)[/quote]

No :huh: more the fact that she is young, looks younger and is already mixing it up with the heavyweights of the music world.
Sort of a bass version of Joss Stone.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='51298' date='Aug 27 2007, 02:48 PM']Not being funny - but the lass has studied bass at a world renowned music college so she jolly well should be good. When I were a lad, you could only have lessons in "proper" instruments at school and I can remember the fuss when I did the practical for my Music CSE on a banjo :)[/quote]

Man,GCSE on Electric Bass in 1994 was a novelty,so much so that the county education board had to be doublechecked to see if it was acceptable as a primary instrument,the biggest stigma was that it was being marked by orchestral standards (Bass....as a solo instrument?....did I hear correctly?) Now children are encouraged to play electric instruments and grade on them as well,which as a reverse does mean there is a massive drought of DoubleBassist's and Brass players.

I actually checked out the price for study at Berklee in the mid 90s,and without a shadow of doubt there are 2 ways of getting in

1,Be good...ASTOUNDINGLY good...as in 'really no questions asked' Scholarship.

2,Be loaded moneywise.....

The roll of honour at Berklee,as the teaching staff,is...putting it mildly,the best on the planet re:Electric Bass that I feel you are going to get right now. I recall Rich Appleman was head of The Electric Bass dept for years.

Most UK based study places are VERY money orientated,quik-fix,ready for fame places that really dont have 'Art' at the center of their core study programme,I know commercial playing is where the money is,but its got cookie-cutter,with alot of kids who can play and can speak like pros,but just dont have the exp or the nous to really do 'it' onstage. There are exceptions,there always is/are and will be. But 3 years of solid week in/out gigging taught me more than a few years of study. But then the 'study' gave me the right sound/attitude to get the gigs in the 1st place!

Given thought to the way Scholarships are given out...If somebody IS THAT GOOD,why should they get the scholarship? They'll sail through anyway,with a free meal ticket? And what quantifiably are they going to gain...If they are that advanced in thier playing/reading etc....then isnt that a waste? When It could go to somebody that needs the monetary support?!

Edited by ARGH

Here solo album is fantastic - great compositions as well as some nice playing. I wasn't sure if it would be all hype but it really is a great album.

Unfortunately, every time I see a clip of Jeff Beck, I spend the next hour making odd harmonic noises and trying to simulate his bend/slide licks on bass. so that's what I'm off to do now....

yeah she's good, not for me though, and jazz has always sounded to me like if you play the notes with enoguh conviction you can play damn well what notes you like. i know thats not true and it's hard to do but thats what alot of it sounds like.
the who you know thing counts in pretty much anything and the what you know follows along. that being said if you are good you're good and she obviously is.

[quote name='Wil' post='51130' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:34 AM']Sex shouldnt come into it, to be honest. You either like her playing or you don't, simple as.[/quote]

I disagree. Much of the industry is about image, and everyone projects an image whether they like it or not. Even having 'no discernable image' is an image. Play for someone like Beck, who has a predominately male audience, and people will notice that you are a girl. If you are a 'good looking girl' (whatever that may mean!) then you will also have that baggage to deal with.

I admire anyone that can support, and get a gig with JB.... Wonderful player.

As for being young and female... should it matter? Sex sells, and as the saying goes, if you've got it flaunt it (which she clearly is) .....

I take my hat off to the young lady for getting the gig and having talent..... It would be a shame if she is judged just because of her gender and looks.... Personally not keen on the twiddly stuff, and that kinda flies in the face of stereotypical US bassist that 'stay in the pocket'!

But is it a good performance?, 'Hell yeah"

Could I do that?. 'Hell no'

[quote name='ARGH' post='51857' date='Aug 28 2007, 05:50 PM']Chris Leckie did state that Mani was the best White bassist he had ever worked with.[/quote]

Who's Chris Leckie?

I fookin love Mani. I was kinda joking and kinda not with that post. On the one hand, stick Mani on that stage with that soft-sounding fancypants bass and tell him to jazz woodle and he'd probably be stuffed. Maybe. So not really 'Berklee material'. On the other hand, consider how many records he's sold and how may booties he's got moving on various dancefloors across the past two decades, and he'd annihilate any cerebral jazz-master out there.

XTRMNTR is one of my favourite albums for bassin' it up.

And Burpster - I really don't think she's flaunting her sexuality. She's wearing jeans and a T-shirt. It's not as if she's dressed like Tia Carrera in Wayne's World.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across her by accident on youtube while trying to find something else. I have to be honest and admit that whatever clip I was watching she was in the distance and I didnt even know it was a SHE. I guess the name Tal is kinda neutral. Anyway it was the tone and groove that caught my ear and I think she must be one of the tastiest players I've heard for a while, male or female....That being said on closer inspection she is very cute indeed, just an added bonus !!