Why become a member? ×

Fret buzz after trussrod adjustment

2wheeler

I have a 4-string Warwick Rockbass and this is my first ever attempt at setting up any kind of guitar.

I have read lots of literature, I know about checking relief in the neck and setting bridge height. I did everything by the book and was really happy with it, after tighteting the truss rod a whisker and lowering the bridge height for each string a lot.

Until I discovered that I have nasty fret buzz on the 8th fret on the A string. It's only that fret and it's only that string.

I have jacked the string height up at the adjustable bridge until it is way above the others but that string buzz is still there.

I am pretty sure I could put everything back the way it was because I counted the turns (or fractions of turns) everywhere I made an adjustment but I am not happy simply doing that because
a ) I didn't really like it like that in the first place and
b ) I don't understand what's wrong and I want to learn about these things in case I one day have a really nice bass so I can set it up and take care of it properly.

Why do I just have a problem with that string and at that fret? Is this the downside of a mass-produced neck? Is there a problem with that fret? Do I need to leave it to settle after tightening the truss rod?

Edited by 2wheeler

a general guideline is :

fret buzz before the 12th fret, adjust the truss rod

fret buzz after the 12th fret, adjust the saddle height

If you've only got buzz on one fret on one string then either the next fret is high or the fret you're on is low, could be a poorly seated fret or wear and tear.

Thanks for that. I only put just over a quarter turn on the truss-rod so I will take that back off again. I guess the person who set it up before had the neck relief set to cater for this fret problem...

I can have the strings lower at the bridge than before and enjoy a significantly lower action after this work.

This might be a stupid question but, did you change the strings at the same time? You may have a rogue string! I have known several set ups that have been spoilt by old/ tired/ or unstable strings.......

Plus another option is that you could have a high 8th fret or worn 7th fret that hasnt shown up before. You havent said if its when fretted at the 8th fret or open string and buzzing on the 8th..?

Bob.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='51633' date='Aug 28 2007, 11:15 AM']This might be a stupid question but, did you change the strings at the same time? You may have a rogue string! I have known several set ups that have been spoilt by old/ tired/ or unstable strings.......

Plus another option is that you could have a high 8th fret or worn 7th fret that hasnt shown up before. You havent said if its when fretted at the 8th fret or open string and buzzing on the 8th..?

Bob.[/quote]

Good point. I mean there is fret buzz from somewhere (probably the 9th fret) when I fret the 8th fret on the A string (i.e. I am playing an F).

I did change strings but that was a few weeks ago and they were fine with the old (high action) set-up. How can I work out which fret is hitting the string and causing the buzz (not including filing them down one by one :) )?

In the past I've found a high fret by moving a steel rule up the neck in line with the offending string (A string in your case) and rocking the rule from end to end. Worked for me, found the high fret and dressed it :)

Dunno how it should be done properly though :wacko:

Pete.

1, Fret it at the fret where you get teh buzz (think you said 8th) then whilst keepin that fretted, work up teh string from there with other hand until it stops. Should be able to work it out.

2. ^ above is correct. take off strings, release tension in t-rod, so neck is straight and use a 'straight edge'! (and unless its a brand new rule it probably wont be straight enough). you will then see daylight under some and it may rock on high ones.

3. form what you've now included I'd guess teh 8th fret is worn and its buzzing on teh 9th. you may be able to see teh wear on teh 8th....

[quote name='The Burpster' post='51633' date='Aug 28 2007, 11:15 AM']This might be a stupid question but, did you change the strings at the same time? You may have a rogue string! I have known several set ups that have been spoilt by old/ tired/ or unstable strings.......[/quote]
Hah, I took the Smith 6 into Charlie Chandlers for a plek set up thinking the buzz around the 13th fret was due to duff frets and they showed me it was actually a flat spot on the underside of the string. Saved me a bundle, that did.