Why become a member? ×

a question concerning my rig.

rsh_bassist

I just wondered if anybody would be good enugh to answer me this. Im currently playing though an ampeg BA 500 combo with an ashdown deep 2x10 cb as an extention. By itself the ampeg puts out 350 watts, but i just wondered what im going to be putting out with the ashdown cab. Its an 8 ohm cab. Will it still be 350, or will it ioncrease at all? Please help, im really quite confused........

Tom.

[quote name='rsh_bassist' post='51596' date='Aug 28 2007, 10:34 AM']I just wondered if anybody would be good enugh to answer me this. Im currently playing though an ampeg BA 500 combo with an ashdown deep 2x10 cb as an extention. By itself the ampeg puts out 350 watts, but i just wondered what im going to be putting out with the ashdown cab. Its an 8 ohm cab. Will it still be 350, or will it ioncrease at all? Please help, im really quite confused........

Tom.[/quote]

The clue is in the name of your combo :)
With an 8ohm extension speaker, which is what you've got, the head will be capable of 500watts

Cheers
Si

The internal cab of the combo is prob 4Ohms, Adding a second 4 ohm cab would drop load down to 2 Ohms, allowing the full 500 Watts. Adding an 8 Ohm cab would give you an impedance of around 3.5, so a slight increase in output. However, you're driving twice as many speakers, so you will be shifting more air.

Ah apologies, my bad, didn't read the spec properly.

You should buy another 4 ohm cab as an extension!
Running an 8ohm with a 4ohm won't blow the head as its obviously not running it under 2ohms, but i believe the common rule is that both cabs should be the same ohm rating!!

So either sell/swap the ashdown for a 2 ohm cab, or i have heard of people modding their cabs to change the ohm rating!

Si

P.S.
Get an Ampeg 410HLF for extension, that would be a monstrous rig!! :)

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='bassbloke' post='51610' date='Aug 28 2007, 10:48 AM']The internal cab of the combo is prob 4Ohms, Adding a second 4 ohm cab would drop load down to 2 Ohms, allowing the full 500 Watts. Adding an 8 Ohm cab would give you an impedance of around 3.5, so a slight increase in output. However, you're driving twice as many speakers, so you will be shifting more air.[/quote]

I seem to remember that 4ohm + 8 ohms = 2.7 ohms total not 3.5, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to confirm/deny this :)

[quote name='JPJ' post='51642' date='Aug 28 2007, 11:28 AM']I seem to remember that 4ohm + 8 ohms = 2.7 ohms total not 3.5, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to confirm/deny this :)[/quote]

Yep you're right, in fact it's 2.666666666666666 ohms :huh:

[quote name='Rich' post='51702' date='Aug 28 2007, 12:38 PM']One thing is that the cab with the lower impedance, i.e. the combo itself, will be getting more of those watts and will therefore *in theory* be louder than the Ashdown cab.[/quote]
so it shouldnt be doing any damage to the ashdoown? just easing the load from the ampeg speakers and pushing more air, giving me more volume?

[quote name='rsh_bassist' post='51703' date='Aug 28 2007, 12:43 PM']so it shouldnt be doing any damage to the ashdoown? just easing the load from the ampeg speakers and pushing more air, giving me more volume?[/quote]
I don't think the extra cab will 'ease the load' on the Ampeg speakers. You'll certainly move more air in total but the speakers in the Ampeg will always sound louder than the speakers in the Ashdown. There won't be any damage done.

The combined impedance will indeed be 2.67ohms, so you'll be getting fairly close to the rated 500W out of the amp.

The new combined lower impedance just means more current will flow out of the amp so if you use the same settings, then there won't be any "easing" on the existing speaker - however you might find that you now have the volume turned down a little so it will help in that respect.

The current will shared between the 2 cabs and normally one would use the same impedance cabs so that they get an equal shared, in this case the ampeg will get approx 57% and the ashdown 43% of the current - not a huge difference.
The sensitivity of the speakers will be more significant in dictating which cab appears louder, but as I [i]assume [/i]the ashdown speakers are more sensitive I guess you find them pretty evenly matched.

Sounds like a nice addition to the original amp :-)

[quote name='ZPQ' post='51725' date='Aug 28 2007, 01:20 PM']The combined impedance will indeed be 2.67ohms, so you'll be getting fairly close to the rated 500W out of the amp.

The new combined lower impedance just means more current will flow out of the amp so if you use the same settings, then there won't be any "easing" on the existing speaker - however you might find that you now have the volume turned down a little so it will help in that respect.

The current will shared between the 2 cabs and normally one would use the same impedance cabs so that they get an equal shared, in this case the ampeg will get approx 57% and the ashdown 43% of the current - not a huge difference.
The sensitivity of the speakers will be more significant in dictating which cab appears louder, but as I [i]assume [/i]the ashdown speakers are more sensitive I guess you find them pretty evenly matched.

Sounds like a nice addition to the original amp :-)[/quote]
yeah, they are pretty evenly matched! I highly recommend the ashdown/ampeg sound, you get the best from both companies! Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it!

Tom.

Edited by rsh_bassist

[quote name='Sibob' post='52094' date='Aug 28 2007, 08:16 PM']RSH, you're the first guy i know who has said they can't get a decent sounding E from a 350watt 2x10 Ampeg combo :)

Si[/quote]
That's very much a matter of how loud one plays. Most of the power requirement of an open E will fall at the second harmonic, about 82 Hz, and that's right in the range where the Ampeg cab is displacement limited to only about 60 watts before exceeding xmax and distorting heavily. I can see how anyone playing at even moderately high levels would be wanting for more.