Why become a member? ×

Octave down tracking

joegarcia

Hi,
Can anyone recommend an octave pedal or pitch shifter that will track going down an octave on a low D?
I know this is ridiculously low and not really neccesary but I need a pedal that will be able to do it. Using a PS-5 st the moment which can't do it.
Any suggestions? Budget is pretty low unfortunately. Probably can't stretch to a POG or Bass Whammy, would they do it anyway?

Hi mate,

The Digitech X series Bass Synth Wah does excellent tracking - I usually play my 4 in dropped D flat and it tracked that very well. Basically you use the last mode (octave envelope filter) and turn the filter off so you are left with just the octaver.

Cheers
ped

Ah yes I remember someone saying that before actually, thanks for the reply. I went and listened to the samples on the Digitech website actually but there doesn't seem to be a sample of the octave down on there. What does it sound like? Does it sound much diferent to the Boss shifters/octavers? Te Boss and Akai ones sound fairly unnatural to my ears, how does the BSW compare then?

Hmm I can't remember if I recorded with it. To me it sounded pretty good - a bit synth like but with a nice clean crisp tone over the top it just added the fatness. Most music shops will probably have these in so you could try one.

ped

Nothing I know of goes that low except possibly a POG/HOG.

This includes the following
Boss OC-2
Boss OC-3
Dod Octoplus
Digitech BSW
Foxrox Octron
Digitech Whammy (This is a horrible octave down)

Tonally you can't beat the Dod Octoplus but it will get to about A but because it's analog it doesn't fart out as most digital octavers do it just stops working which is a plus personally. Also won't do chords.

The tone of the digitech is pretty good but it does lean towards that synth tone instead of a more natural analog tone.

The Octron is the best of both as it has a great analog tone can manage chords and tracks as fast as the Digitech.

Hope this helps

I was going to say the POG but Tayste beat me to it. Mine certainly tracks E and F perfectly, have yet to try low D but reckon it would be fine. The only downside being they are pricey.

Haven't tried the Micro one yet, but will when I find one.
Cheers,
Alun

The Whammy setting on the new Digitech Expression Factory seems reasonably good. Bit pricey of you only want the one sound but I had a brief play with one and it seemed quite promising. Need longer to play ( and a shop that actually understood how to plug it in and isn't charging 25% above online prices) before I decide if I need one.

Cheers,
Alun