Why become a member? ×

Most accurate tuner?

First up if this is in the wrong place.. sorry, i'm sure someone will move it.

After a jam with a couple of friends, i notice something.

I was the only person to bring a tuner, so shared it out.

My bass sounded sweet :rolleyes: , but the two guitards were a mile off :) .

Now my tuner is quite a ropey £20 boss.

Is this down to a crappy tuner or something else.

What is/are the best/most accurate tuners to get?

Cheers in Advance

Edited by boabskiboab

I recommend the IntelliTune Chromatic Tuner IMT-500.

Simple clip-on job, works from the vibrations (so doesn't need to be plugged into anything), doesn't care whether it's clipped to a guitar or a bass, can be swopped in seconds even on stage.

Don't leave home without it.

IMHO - and on a budget - the Korg DT-10 is more accurate with bass frequencies, and it does guitar fine too :)

EDIT: I don't mean it's more accurate than a peterson :rolleyes:

Edited by Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='495616' date='May 22 2009, 10:44 PM']IMHO - and on a budget - the Korg DT-10 is more accurate with bass frequencies, and it does guitar fine too :)[/quote]

Really? more accurate than a strobe tuner that can tune to accuracy within 1/10th of a cent and is more than 30 times more accurate than LED / Needle Tuners.

Don't be silly. [url="http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=2"]Have another look..............[/url]

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='rslaing' post='495621' date='May 22 2009, 10:49 PM']Really? more accurate than a strobe tuner that can tune to accuracy within 1/10th of a cent and is more than 30 times more accurate than LED / Needle Tuners.

Don't be silly. [url="http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=2"]Have another look..............[/url][/quote]

he said ON A BUDGET...

I can just about justify spending £60 odd on a tuner, But NOT £160 odd

Guest MoJo

[quote name='rslaing' post='495605' date='May 22 2009, 10:24 PM'][url="http://www.petersontuners.com/"]The most accurate (affordable) tuner in the world[/url][/quote]

:) One could hardly describe the Peterson tuners as 'affordable' no matter how accurate they were. For that price, I'd want it to tune the bass for me and bring me a beer between sets.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='495633' date='May 22 2009, 11:02 PM']he said ON A BUDGET...

I can just about justify spending £60 odd on a tuner, But NOT £160 odd[/quote]

They are not £160 odd........................and really, how can you afford NOT to be accurately in tune?

An accurate tuner is essential. And WTF, another 40 or 50 quid over and above a tuner that is not as accurate?

Surely it has to be worth it, even if you are just ensuring that your own instrument (bass or guitar) is perfectly in tune with itself, including 12th fret harmonics.

Peterson tuners incorporates tuning for every instrument and situation, including the Feiten tuning system.

It makes a great difference. I know, I tried to perfect my tuning for 30 years until Peterson brought out this gem, which covers all tuning scenarios.

Have a read of their website - your bass will sound much better. And this new machine is as good as all of the "expert" strobe machines that they have used for decades and cost 5 or 6 times as much. If you ever send your instrument to a luthier for setup, odds are he will use a strobe tuner.

Or maybe this sort of thing is just not important? Well, it is to my ears.
Then again, we could all just resort to the philosophy that progress doesn't matter, and that the world really is flat.

Edited by rslaing

[quote name='bassman2790' post='495639' date='May 22 2009, 11:08 PM']:) One could hardly describe the Peterson tuners as 'affordable' no matter how accurate they were. For that price, I'd want it to tune the bass for me and bring me a beer between sets.[/quote]

Maybe if you drink enough beer between sets, your tuning wouldn't be important? (At least to you)

how about your ears ???? those come free .... also guitars have a terrible tendency to go out of tune anyway.... I wouldn't blame the tuner but the guitarist.

[quote name='rslaing' post='495652' date='May 22 2009, 11:23 PM']Maybe if you drink enough beer between sets, your tuning wouldn't be important? (At least to you)[/quote]

[quote name='mcc' post='495660' date='May 22 2009, 11:38 PM']how about your ears ???? those come free .... also guitars have a terrible tendency to go out of tune anyway.... I wouldn't blame the tuner but the guitarist.[/quote]

Ears are great, mainly for detecting when instruments are not in tune. But when you want to be perfectly in tune, use a Peterson - no argument. They are the best, ask any pro.

And have it confirmed by any expert that you take your guitar to when you want a professional setup.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='495659' date='May 22 2009, 11:38 PM']I use a Korg DTR-1000, seriously accurate and very fast tracking.[/quote]

I have one of those too, but they really are miles behind the Petersons.

[quote name='rslaing' post='495663' date='May 22 2009, 11:43 PM']Ears are great, mainly for detecting when instruments are not in tune. But when you want to be perfectly in tune, use a Peterson - no argument. They are the best, ask any pro.

And have it confirmed by any expert that you take your guitar to when you want a professional setup.[/quote]

There's no point arguing, even when black is black, there is always somebody on here that reckons it's white.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='495667' date='May 23 2009, 12:01 AM']There's no point arguing, even when black is black, there is always somebody on here that reckons it's white.[/quote]

You are absolutely correct. I give in.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='495668' date='May 23 2009, 12:03 AM']Anyway, Peterson reign supreme...

but give these a look in...

[url="http://www.turbo-tuner.com/"]http://www.turbo-tuner.com/[/url][/quote]

Interesting. At an accuracy within 2/100th of a cent, it's 150+ times more accurate than led/needle tuners - and more than 5 times more accurate than a Peterson?

[quote name='Hamster' post='495688' date='May 23 2009, 12:27 AM']Interesting. At an accuracy within 2/100th of a cent, it's 150+ times more accurate than led/needle tuners - and more than 5 times more accurate than a Peterson?[/quote]

A "strobo" Peterson. The proper Peterson tuners are a different ball game.

[quote name='rslaing' post='495664' date='May 22 2009, 11:45 PM']I have one of those too, but they really are miles behind the Petersons.[/quote]

My DTR -1000 cost me £50, there's no way I'd get a Peterson for anywhere near that and if my guitarists are using TU-2's it would actually be worse (I think) if I had a Peterson.