Why become a member? ×

Difference in volume of Stingray 4 vs. Stingray 5

Old Horse Murphy

I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this one, but I borrowed my mate's SR 5 this weekend and road tested it last night, alternating between the 5 and my SR 4 string.

Both are relatively new and both have the usual SR humbucker and 3 band EQ's. I've changed the batteries on both, but there is a noticeable difference between the 4 string (which is really loud and punchy) and the 5 string (which is not quite so loud or punchy). Both sound as if everything is working (bass, mid, treble etc), but I'm a bit stumped as to why one sounds much louder than the other one.

I guess my question is, is this normal and do Rays sometimes have a significant difference in output. I've tried a couple of amps and had the same outcome each time.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='51922' date='Aug 28 2007, 08:07 PM']I guess my question is, is this normal and do Rays sometimes have a significant difference in output. I've tried a couple of amps and had the same outcome each time.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. :)[/quote]

Did you have the pickup selector on the SR5 set to series or parallel? If it was set to parallel, the resistance through the coils would have been lower, and would have resulted also in slightly lower output levels from the pickup.

Playability wise? I've got to say (and I never thought I would), I really like the 5 string. It's a fair bit heavier and my mates now call me Nathan East, but it's got such a nice maple fingerboard.

I'm just a bit stumped by the difference in volume. I can live with it, but if it's something fundamentally wrong, then I'd like to sort it.

I feel a bit of a GAS coming on...

my SR5 is a bit quiter than my old SR4. But not by much, and it punches like a mule (or should that be kicks). These SR5's are awesome "band context" basses. They will rumble wiht a bit of bass added, or funk it up with the selector in brodge position and everything flat. I find that if the room is boomy, you can really tighten the bottom end up with the EQ, and still cut through in a way that precious few basses do.

Yes, I am a fan. Min ewill be with me always.

:-)