Why become a member? ×

New custom bass conundrum...

Russ

I've got an idea for a custom bass that I've had in my head for quite some time... ever since I sold an old custom bass I had made for me about 10 years back (see the thread about basses you regret selling). Basically, I want to take that body design (I designed it) and get a new 5-string built along the same lines, with the same body shape, with a few custom accoutrements (26 frets, and probably another Kahler). Now, usually I'd go with Martin Petersen and the Sei guys (they did a great job with my singlecut 5), but their recent price hike, along with his reluctance to do anything other than their usual body shapes, is counting them out, at least for this project.

So I've narrowed it down to two other contenders - ACG and Shuker.

So, for anyone with experience of working with these guys, do you think they'd go for it? Or can you suggest anyone I might have forgotten?

[attachment=1973:bb3.jpg]
[attachment=1972:bb1.jpg]

Not had any experience with ACG but I know that Jon Shuker will do pretty much anything you want (ask Dood), reasonably priced too (in comparison with Sei that is).
Jon has his stock ideas but I'm sure he's willing to give anything a go (just don't expect too many updates) He's also a really nice guy.
And if you do go with him, take his lead time with a pinch of salt (that is not a criticism BTW)

As Tinman says, Jon Shuker will pretty much build whatever you ask him too, at a pretty reasonable price.
Alan at AGC is definitely worth approaching too, I've visited him a couple of times, his work is amazing and he's a really friendly guy, and as with Shukers you get a lot more bang for your buck compared to some other luthiers.

Can't comment on anyone else though.

I'll be keen to see how your design develops though dude, it's a cool bass, I remember seeing it on a forum a long time ago and it's stuck in head.

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

I like both Jon and Alan and their work a lot. I've visited both several times, but my money went with ACG in the end. I'm certain that the 2 basses I'm having made cost less together than a standard Sei.

I have to emphasis visiting them first, that would be the best test.

They are both exhibiting at Bassday in Manchester (on a joining stands!), so if you can make it to that it'd probably be the best thing for you.

[quote name='cetera' post='52204' date='Aug 29 2007, 10:36 AM']Jonathan Law at Feline Guitars (www.felineguitars.com)[/quote]

I know Jonathan well (I live just around the corner from his workshop) and have been going to him for years for setups and so on. Nothing against him, but most of his experience is with guitars rather than basses, and, to be honest, for an expensive custom instrument, I'd rather go to someone whose speciality is basses.

Did you hear that Jonathan's assistant hung himself last week? :)

I gave my business to Shuker because the quality was outstanding and the price was very resonable. I agree with Tinman on getting updates and waiting times, but I did tell Jon to take his time with the build and also if he has every customer phoning up wanting photos, it takes up valuable building time so now I just let him get on with it.

Hi all! I can only echo a lot of what has been said on this thread already.

I have met Alan from ACG and played his wonderful basses. What a gentleman. I feel lucky to have had an opportunity to play pretty much (nearly) all of the UK most known Luthier's products. (does that make sense? really bad grammar!! but I'm gonna leave it.. hawww hawwwwww)

I think choosing a Luthier can be a very personal thing, even before saw hits wood. After all you are entrusting a large some of money to someone and you want to feel confident in their abilities and understanding of your needs. In my case, one or two 'companies' didn't really get what it was I was trying to achieve. Other simply didn't offer a 'pattern' I liked. I thought, for my needs at least, it'd be easier to start with a 'stock' body shape I liked as opposed to designing something new.

I really can't say a bad word about Jon. His lead times have been mentioned above, but I'd need to clarify that a bit and say that it needs pointing out only Jon works on these instruments. Some other companies outsource their spray shops etc, thus essentially having 'more than one man on the job' if you see what I mean.

Jon also had some real problems with the recent flooding too, which I can imagine could have been problematic. I'm pretty sure he is up and running again now! Must give him a bell soon.

I think, having played a few different custom basses, when it comes down to 'who is the best' well, in the absence of cost, it'd be a harder choice to make. When it comes to the folding stuff though, quite a few Luthiers get ruled out fairly quickly, sadly.

I feel I should balance the discussion a little and say, ultimately it is up to you who you feel will be best. The UK has simply awesome designers and builders and we all have a personal preference when it comes to who we'd want to take on such a project.

I am very proud to be on Jon's endorsement page.. he will be getting my next build.. and probably the next.. infact, he'll be sick of the sight of me by the time we have finished ha ha ha!

i have no experiences with other luthiers, but my experience with Jon was one that has assured him any of my future custom (pun intended?).

i went to jon with an awful lot of ideas for my custom. one of the first things i said to him was 'i have a lot of ideas and don't really know how they'll work out.' to which his reply was 'thats fine, it's great to do something different and i love a challenge'

we spent around a year working through ideas and drawing up and fiddling with designs before it was finally done and i put down a deposit for the bass. very, very paitient, and no sort of pressure.

but as dood said, a custom is very personal. and not every luthier will suit every player (as i'm sure you know). but i can most highly recomend Jon as an option :)

I would take into account all the above and contact Jim Fleeting.

Everything is,within reason and possible, done onsite,WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED....If it has strings Jim can make it,the only thing that limits you is your imagination,Even pickups are made to order,with custom coverings in woods of your choice,Jim is also quite quick regarding build times,though be warned christmas is coming up!!!.....and hes predominantly LOWER on cost than most UK based 'Custom' builders.

Body shape no problem,neither is/are the woods by what I see,or the electronics.....nor the hardware or fret number. And he didnt recieve ANY damage after the floods and is a bloody good egg to talk too!

Just phoned him for a quote,given what I see via the pictures.....pm me for it!

[url="http://www.guitarrepairman.co.uk/"]http://www.guitarrepairman.co.uk/[/url]

You cant ever regret contacting this man.....Why follow the herd,hes a walking woodworking god!

Edited by ARGH

Well, I've exchanged emails with Jon Shuker, and it's looking promising - he can do it, and for the right price. I'm sourcing the pickups and bridge I want, so that's taken the cost down a bit (Sadowsky pickups and circuit, Kahler trem bridge).

So, we shall see... :)