Why become a member? ×

Getting some flatwounds need some opinions

markdavid

Have been using the Overwater flats for a wee while now and I really like them. They are different from the TI Jazz flats, more middly and modern sounding but still nice and rich and round sounding.

Should have mentioned the price, they are around £25 delivered for a 5 string set which is bloody good value for a set like this.

S

[quote name='BassBod' post='68143' date='Oct 1 2007, 01:53 PM']I've used the Picato's - didn't think they were that bad. Just a very traditional flat. In fact, I really like the roundwound nickel sets...esp for the ££.

BB[/quote]

How would you describe them , bright , dark. How are they compared to other flats ?

As I said on a previous thread to road to string nirvana is a long and expensive one. Whilst we can all over various degrees of advice sooner or later you will have to bite the bullet and slap some on. Best advice I can give is start with the cheapest (but not the stupidly cheap wire some places sell).

[quote name='ervert' post='68166' date='Oct 1 2007, 03:35 PM']I couldn't wait any longer. Went to juststrings.com and orderded a set of Jamersons for my P.

Ordered a set of TI's Jazz flats for my Geddy Jazz as well. I've got some heavy rotosound flats on it currently, but not sure if I really like them. They are amazing strings, but maybe a tad too heavy for my liking. They sound impressive though. Nasty growl!!

Really looking forward to try out the Jamerson's and TI's.

Hope it works out fine. Never ordered from juststrings before.[/quote]
Wohoo, exactly one week later the strings are here!!

Got a few picks as well for free!! :) I'm so happy now, as I couldn't find either of these strings in ANY local shops here in Frankfurt.

I'm off to re-string both Jazz and P now!! :huh:

Cheers,
ervert

Edited by ervert

[quote name='markdavid' post='52083' date='Aug 29 2007, 12:55 AM']Hi all,

Will be buying some flatwounds in the next couple of days , I have only tried a couple of brands of flats (Daddario Chromes , Rotosound Jazz Flats) I am looking for something a bit darker and more dead and old school sounding and considering the following , any recommendations out of these?

Ernie Ball Flatwounds
Elites Flatwounds
Fender Flatwounds
Roberts Flatwounds
Olympia Flatwounds
Picato Flatwounds

I thank you for any suggestions you may have[/quote]

Yep, I'd try Thomastiks, they are wound at a lesser tension than most strings and have a lot more give and take a bit more getting used to if you're used to a higher tension string.

Dave Swift (Jools Hollands bass player) one of our customers uses them on his Fender J and P basses and feels they improve your feel and playing due to the lower tension so you have to adjust your usual style compared to higher tension string sets - you have to work harder on your technique which can't be anything but good!

Ian

S.M.A.R.T Distribution

www.smart-distribution.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='61842' date='Sep 17 2007, 06:13 PM']The only thing Picato have going for them is the price... about half the price of other flats... so good for sticking on the practice bass and for price conscious music students and that's about it...

I wouldn't buy another set... Given the life of flats, it's a bit of a false economy, but they probably sell mostly to parents who don't know anything about Picato except that they've been asked to get flats and they're half the price of the others... that's if you can even find any flats in the shops...[/quote]

OK, I retract what I said about Picato flats... I've just stuck this same set on my Squier VMJ and they are so much better than when they were on my Peavey or my Encore.

So these Picatos are staying on this Squier... :)