Why become a member? ×

Adding bass pack to line6 pod xt pro

ZPQ

Hi,
I've got a pod xt pro and I was thinking of adding the bass model pack to it.

Seems like an easy way to get the bass amp models and fx.

Has anyone tried it?
Any issues that I should be aware of?
I've already got the other model packs so I'm ok with the upgrade process - it's more the sounds I'm curious about.

Thanks
John

Don't have any experience, but I think the only issue is that the guitar pod doesn't have a separate output for the dry signal like the bass one does, so if you wanted to record a direct signal as well as using the pod you'd have to get a separate DI box or signal splitter. Apart from that they're the same (AFAIK)

I've just bought the metal, cllector, and bass expansion for my XTlive.
Seeing how it was only £100 for the lot, and I'd had a bass pod before, I think there should be something in there that will be good basswise.

Still don't like the compressors in the XTLive though, so I'll stick to my Blue Max.

If I get time this week (if only), I'll post anything good.

I have a PODxt (the red/guitar version) with Bass, Fx Junkie, Metal and Collector Classic expansions.

I really like it. I actually prefer it to the Bass PODxt (aka BOD). The main reason is that (AFIK) the Bass pod is mono with biamp (or DI and Model out). The PODxt is stereo.

Apart from the different connectivity, a PODxt+bass expansion is like a BOD. But... the PODxt is also an excellent MultiFx for guitar.

Regardless if you use BODxt or PODxt+BE, they aren't the simplest units to program. I use the PC editor and it does help to sort out the varius preset and program the sounds. It is not difficult to get good sounds out of it but equaly is is very easy to get bad sounds. :)

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='56896' date='Sep 7 2007, 11:47 AM']I have a PODxt (the red/guitar version) with Bass, Fx Junkie, Metal and Collector Classic expansions.

I really like it. I actually prefer it to the Bass PODxt (aka BOD). The main reason is that (AFIK) the Bass pod is mono with biamp (or DI and Model out). The PODxt is stereo.

Apart from the different connectivity, a PODxt+bass expansion is like a BOD. But... the PODxt is also an excellent MultiFx for guitar.

Regardless if you use BODxt or PODxt+BE, they aren't the simplest units to program. I use the PC editor and it does help to sort out the varius preset and program the sounds. It is not difficult to get good sounds out of it but equaly is is very easy to get bad sounds. :)[/quote]

Hi,
Thanks for that - confirms what i was thinking. I really like the pod (I've got an xt pro in my guitar live rack and an xt in the studio) so I'll probably do the upgrade.

Cheers
John

Well, after checking out the presets for the bass pod XTLive on the bass model pack, all of them sounded muffled and needed the 4 band eq to be adjusted just to get something out of them.

I tried constructing patches from scratch and still found this "muffled" sound (this after Line6 going on about how the Aguilar model is for people who like to hear their callouses scaping the strings !)

I used my Ibanez SR1000 prestige with USA barts, Ibanez 3 band EQ, and newish elixir strings

It's almost as if the amp models have a filter taking out all the high and hi-mid.
However, as I bought it along with the collector and metal packs, I'll probably just keep it.

I must admit that at the beginning I experienced the same thing: "muffled" and undefined sound. Here some tips:

- The standard presets are bad. Do no judge the PODxt+BP on the bass presets and do yourself a favour: delete them.

- When you change amp/preamp the PODxt changes automatically: pre-EQ, cabinet, mic, mic-distance. I wonder why especialy considering that the person that designed these automatic settings may not have the same taste that everybody else. This "system feature" makes the editing very difficult indeed. However, there is a solution. I use Line6 Edit. On the right side of the amp type selection, there is a small chain. If you click on the chain, you disable the automatic settings. This makes the editing much simpler. In practice I believe there is a way to define the automatic settings associated to every pre but to be honest I prefer to have full control of the unit.

- The knobs are very sensitive. I suggest to start any editing with the EQ knobs on 12 oclock (however, I think, some models have the linear position on 0). No compressor, gate or effects. Then turn the EQ knobs by small amounts and only one at the time.

- I suggest to start with just preamp and no cab modelling. I get better sounds in this way. You can always add cabs at a later stage.

- The line6 documentation is not well written. Overall it is not bad but sometime I need to move back and forward between BOD, POD and model pack manuals. Other things like how the POD knobs map to the model packs are simply not written anywhere.

- The parametic EQ is a nice feature but personaly I almost never use it. Once you mastered the amp models and the standard EQ, the parametric EQ is almost pointless.

- The DI xover frequency default is 400Hz (why on the model pack? Who knows...). This makes any effect sound horrible (IMO). Set it to 0.

I hope the above helps.

Edited by Silent Fly

Thanks for your helpful comments

I'm pretty used to editing line6 stuff all the way back to the original Pod and Bod, I had one of each hence "2pods" :huh: sad, I know :huh:
When editing the XT Live, I always use Line6 Edit anyway (saves my back :huh: ).
I've tried building patches from scratch but I find the preamp EQ's are the problem. It's the lo pass filter stuff again.

I'll give it another go later, but I doubt any of the [url="http://line6.com/modelPacks/bass.html"]Bass Pack demo tones[/url] can be done without the parametric :)