Why become a member? ×

guitar/bass shops Manchester

john_the_bass

going to Manchester on Saturday - thought I might have a bit of a wander around the guitar shops for a bit of a nosey while I am there. Prices aren't an issue as I don't plan on spending any money as any spare money I do have will go on Mr Silverfoxnik's BB615.

Any good ones I should go and check out? I know there are places like Forsyth's and there's a big Dawson's as well - anywhere that I should be having a wee look at?

Dawsons is a bit dull. Expect standard Squier/Fender/Peavey/Yamahas and if you're lucky a couple of Stingrays.

SC in Salford is definitely the best around however isn't walkable from the city centre - can't really get there without a car.

Don't even bother with Forsythes, they'll probably have a bashed up dusty Squier Jazz at £220 and that's it.

SC it is then - I was hoping there might be one or two little independents worth looking at.
i'm out for the day and it's a bit dull when you're on your own :)
i might go through stoke on the way and have a look at the shops in hanley (there are 4 or 5 on the same street, but i can't remember the street!) and then come back through the peak district and see if there is owt round there. I know there's somebody with a shop in Ashbourne anyway

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='52736' date='Aug 30 2007, 12:39 PM']SC it is then - I was hoping there might be one or two little independents worth looking at.
i'm out for the day and it's a bit dull when you're on your own :)
i might go through stoke on the way and have a look at the shops in hanley (there are 4 or 5 on the same street, but i can't remember the street!) and then come back through the peak district and see if there is owt round there. I know there's somebody with a shop in Ashbourne anyway[/quote]

Hah, Stoke! That's where i'm from :-/ There are a few shops on Hope street, but, they're not doing very well. Rythm House has some interesting basses and amps, but, it's a small place and does everything. The other shops on the same street are route 66 which may have a random beauty, but has probably gone bust since I was last there, and Kays music, which has a nice selection of bass amps upstairs. There was another couple of music shops in Hanley, but they're closed now. The sound control on the other side of Hanley is allright.

that's it - Hope Street. I remember one of the shops had a load of old pony in it, another shop had a couple of interesting bits, including 2 tele basses and one of them had the most bizarre selection of stuff in it I'd ever seen - I think that was Route 66. He even had some route 66 branded guitars that looked a bit mad and had presumably been sat in the shop for 20 years.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='52797' date='Aug 30 2007, 02:20 PM']that's it - Hope Street. I remember one of the shops had a load of old pony in it, another shop had a couple of interesting bits, including 2 tele basses and one of them had the most bizarre selection of stuff in it I'd ever seen - I think that was Route 66. He even had some route 66 branded guitars that looked a bit mad and had presumably been sat in the shop for 20 years.[/quote]
Heh, yeh, I think they're still there! He never has what you need, just everything else.

The last time I was in Sound Control Salford, I asked to have a bash on a Warwick 10.1 Hardcoremegafest thingy and they plugged in 3 heads in succession all of which blew up the minute I played a note. Someone plug in one of the 4 string stingrays (I think it was blue) and see if it is cursed.........

Oh and as for Heald Green, I believe they have some Sandbergs and Clovers in now if that takes your fancy at all, but as Mr Homer says they have mainly markbass amps. If you are partial to a nice guitar then it is worth visiting too. I'm guilty on that one!

Edited by presoulnation

[quote name='john_the_bass' date='Aug 30 2007, 09:15 AM' post='52631']
going to Manchester on Saturday - thought I might have a bit of a wander around the guitar shops for a bit of a nosey while I am there. Prices aren't an issue as I don't plan on spending any money as any spare money I do have will go on Mr Silverfoxnik's BB615.

Any good ones I should go and check out? I know there are places like Forsyth's and there's a big Dawson's as well - anywhere that I should be having a wee look at

MB1. :)

Hello john
Get on Oxford road Manchester,theres JOHNNY ROADHOUSE,MUSIC GROUND(.across from the BBC),and ALSO SOUND CONTROL,all on the same road all walking distance.

I can definitely recommend Sounds Great in Heald Green. Very nice friendly staff. Sound Control has more gear but less friendly staff. If you're on Oxford Rd then there is Johnny Roadhouse, another Sound Control and another shop more or less opposite the BBC (I can't remember the name). Forsyths is a little dull although great if you're a pianist. A little further out is Harker & Howarth in Bolton who are always up for a bit of negotiating if you see something you like.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='52794' date='Aug 30 2007, 02:07 PM']Hah, Stoke! That's where i'm from :-/ There are a few shops on Hope street, but, they're not doing very well. Rythm House has some interesting basses and amps, but, it's a small place and does everything. The other shops on the same street are route 66 which may have a random beauty, but has probably gone bust since I was last there, and Kays music, which has a nice selection of bass amps upstairs. There was another couple of music shops in Hanley, but they're closed now. The sound control on the other side of Hanley is allright.[/quote]

My girlfriend's from Stoke and I was in the Sound Control in Hanley last week. I remember an ampeg fridge and a quite a lot of ashdown gear, squiers and a couple of fenders. Tried out a Boss OC-2, guy was very helpful, didn't have any money on me, but fueled the GAS. That's just the way i roll.

well after protracted arsing around including haircuts, tyre changes and bit of a (70 mile) detour to pick up a mate of mine, visits to PMT in Birmingham, etc...

I went to Manchester. By the time we got there, we only had time for a stroll along Oxford Road. Johnny Roadhouse had some moderately interesting and fairly priced stuff I thought, but lots of cheap (budget) stuff as well. Nice Stingray in the window, couple of 70s strats that sort of thing. Sound Control seemed to have not much stock and even less customers although they did have a couple of Warwicks hanging up. Their Gibsons are hung so high on the wall that nobody could pick and play one - perhaps that's the way they like it.

The contrast was Music Ground - which had the most stunning display of instruments I'd seen in ages and helpful fellas too - stocked proper Gibson parts (needed a jackplate) and George L's cables cut to size. Some really really really nice stuff too and I'd have probably stayed all afternoon if I'd had time. Didn't get a chance to go to sounds great and after the stroll into sound control, i couldn't really face going to Salford.

Top stuff

[quote name='john_the_bass' date='Sep 2 2007, 10:50 AM' post='54112']
well after protracted arsing around including haircuts, tyre changes and bit of a (70 mile) detour to pick up a mate of mine, visits to PMT in Birmingham, etc...

I went to Manchester. By the time we got there, we only had time for a stroll along Oxford Road. Johnny Roadhouse had some moderately interesting and fairly priced stuff I thought, but lots of cheap (budget) stuff as well. Nice Stingray in the window, couple of 70s strats that sort of thing. Sound Control seemed to have not much stock and even less customers although they did have a couple of Warwicks hanging up. Their Gibsons are hung so high on the wall that nobody could pick and play one - perhaps that's the way they like it.

The contrast was Music Ground - which had the most stunning display of instruments I'd seen in ages and helpful fellas too - stocked proper Gibson parts (needed a jackplate) and George L's cables cut to size. Some really really really nice stuff too and I'd have probably stayed all afternoon if I'd had time. Didn't get a chance to go to sounds great and after the stroll into sound control, i couldn't really face going to Salford.

Top stuff

MB1. :)
shame you didnt get to salford sound control,they have stock in, and dont look as if there just about to cease trading!

[quote name='presoulnation' date='Sep 3 2007, 03:37 PM' post='54782']
No, Napper is running it. Darryll works there :)

MB1.
Darryll is in charge of everything bass,john(napper) does the guitar side and is the manager if you wish to split hairs!

Alright folks.

Right me and Nap' have been out the back and sorted this out man to man. Aside fom now being horrifically disfigured we have come to the conclusion that he is indeed the manager and I clean the toilets. Can't really say fairer than that eh? :)

Seriously though thanks for the compliments paid to our store. It really is a work in progress especially the bass department which both Nap' and myself are keen to see become a great resource for all Nwest lowenders. It will take a little time what with being the new guys on the block (the shop that is not me and Nap') but bear with us.

In the meantime if you have any ideas on things you'd like to see us stocking or bass related enquiries give us a call. I'll not post contact details as I'm not sure what Basschats policy is on such stuff (first time I've been through here since the fall of bassworld). Look us up and you'll find 'em.

many thanks.

Darryll