Why become a member? ×

Minor changes to the management of Basschat.co.uk

Kiwi

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='504474' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:57 AM']By using this web site or any service provided, you explicitly agree that you shall comply with any request made by a Moderator or Administrator in regard to your conduct and use of the forum. [b]In the event of any disagreement between you and a Moderator or Administrator, you agree you shall not disclose the nature of these disagreements to any third parties[/b].[/quote]

What is the need for this?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='504474' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:57 AM']In the event of any disagreement between you and a Moderator or Administrator, you agree you shall not disclose the nature of these disagreements to any third parties.[/quote]

I don't agree with that part at all. What if someone is treated unfairly by a mod and wishes to clear it up with the assistance of the rest of the forum?

Mods should be accountable to the forum, not the other way around.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='504501' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:28 AM']I don't agree with that part at all. What if someone is treated unfairly by a mod and wishes to clear it up with the assistance of the rest of the forum?[/quote]

My issue is that if the Mods treat people fairly, then there should be no need for secrecy behind their actions. The second you gag people, it looks like your trying to cover up your own wrong-doings.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='504497' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:26 AM']The only PM I've had from a Mod was thanking me for my level headed contribution to an otherwise quite slangy debate. So do I get an anti warning strike? :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

I had a Mod PM to tell me that my "brand" of humour was "immature, purile, and insulting" - the holy trinity of humour as far as I'm concerned. Do I win a prize?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='504474' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:57 AM']In the event of any disagreement between you and a Moderator or Administrator, you agree you shall not disclose the nature of these disagreements to any third parties.[/quote]

Yep, why is this necessary, and what exactly does it mean? It's kind of vague... Does it include in pms on this forum? In general conversation on another forum? Off line?

[quote name='dlloyd' post='504517' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:45 AM']Yep, why is this necessary, and what exactly does it mean? It's kind of vague... Does it include in pms on this forum? In general conversation on another forum? Off line?[/quote]

Total goodness so far, with this one exception. Please clarify or remove this clause

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='504503' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:31 AM']Not quite.

Truth is.. All of us - forum users and mods - are accountable to the forum owner.[/quote]

Not very democratic though, is it?

[quote name='OldGit' post='504518' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:48 AM']Total goodness so far, with this one exception. Please clarify or remove this clause[/quote]

I've got to admit that clause did surprise me somewhat.

That's inherently impossible in its current form. Mod A says "I like Warwicks", BBC says "Warwicks are horrid" (or Mod B says "I like Fenders", I say "Fenders are horrid"), and the nature of the disagreement is open to at the very least the entirety of Basschat (if in Off-topic), and at worst the entire world (if in any other sub-forum). And while Basschat isn't a democracy, this would prevent moderators being held to account for their actions, whatever they are. Especially as immediately before that is the sentence

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='504474' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:57 AM']By using this web site or any service provided, you explicitly agree that you shall comply with any request made by a Moderator or Administrator in regard to your conduct and use of the forum.[/quote]

which nowhere states that the request must be reasonable. So a mod could request that someone append "I am always wrong" to every one of their posts [1], and this request would have to be complied with and no discussion with anyone else allowed.

[1] [i]Reductio ad absurdo[/i] comes in quite handy in instances like this.

[quote name='Wil' post='504526' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:58 AM']Not very democratic though, is it?[/quote]

But I can see WoT's point. This forum is owned by people, and is therefore run under their rules. It would be nice if it was run a democracy (although I question how workable it is), but it is ultimaately the site owners decision. I'm not commenting on if its right or wrong - it just "is".

I think if the Mods do push for keeping the clause we're not happy about without explanantion on justification, its a pretty bad PR job.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='503586' date='Jun 2 2009, 10:30 AM']I think anybody who gets a warning should have a "Silly Sausage" icon embedded into their user name/avatar.[/quote]

Brilliant, I like it.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='504535' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:06 AM']Can with give this clause a name like they do in the media?

It'd be very exciting! We can print banners and everything! I've never been on a protest before.[/quote]

Basschatgate.

[quote name='ped' post='504551' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:26 AM']tbh I don't remember reading and agreeing with that bit. Need to have a look at the state of play this evening as I'm busy all day.[/quote]

Eh? You are saying that the T and Cs changed after you agreed them?

Man, the small print on this site is getting ridiculous!