Why become a member? ×

MM5 style bass with wide string spacing?

Bigwan

Hi guys,

Just looking other people's input here. I'm looking into a budget/mid-priced 5 string at the minute. I'd ideally like something that sounds like a Musicman 5 but with wider string spacing (19mm if possible). I sold off my MM5 I had because I couldn't get along with the string spacing. Can anyone think of something that fits the bill?

I was really excited when I heard that Ibanez were re-releasing the ATK range, until I heard that the spacing on the new 305 is 16.5mm! The mid-90's version is 19mm but they're as rare as rocking horse poo!

The ones I can think of (without going custom) are MTD imports (kingston and heir), Lakland 5502 (out of my current pricerange), mid-90's ATKs...

Looking to stay around/under the £400 mark. Anyone think of anything else?

Cheers

Ian

Have you tried the OLP musicman copies? I don't know what difference there is in string spacing between them and musicmans (musicmen?) but mine's really comfortable and the string spacing is fine in my opinion. They now make active ones with two pups as well.

[url="http://www.olpguitars.com/"]olp guitars[/url]

EDIT: I just realised you said around the £400 mark, these are cheaper than that but still excellent basses.

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='lwtait' post='52690' date='Aug 30 2007, 11:25 AM']Have you tried the OLP musicman copies? I don't know what difference there is in string spacing between them and musicmans (musicmen?) but mine's really comfortable and the string spacing is fine in my opinion. They now make active ones with two pups as well.

[url="http://www.olpguitars.com/"]olp guitars[/url][/quote]

It's actually 1/4-inch narrower at the bridge than the genuine Musicman Stingray 5.

[quote name='Russ' post='52695' date='Aug 30 2007, 11:31 AM']Lakland 55-02 with the Basslines pickups. Nails the MM tone, has 19mm string spacing at the bridge, and has a fair bit more versatility than a regular, single-pickup MM.[/quote]

My No.1 choice also but I would refer you to my comment above...

[quote name='Bigwan' post='52686' date='Aug 30 2007, 11:16 AM']The ones I can think of (without going custom) are MTD imports (kingston and heir), Lakland 5502 (out of my current pricerange), mid-90's ATKs...[/quote]

Well outside my £400 budget at the minute!

Would you flog your ATK Russ?

[quote name='lwtait' post='52690' date='Aug 30 2007, 11:25 AM']Have you tried the OLP musicman copies? I don't know what difference there is in string spacing between them and musicmans (musicmen?) but mine's really comfortable and the string spacing is fine in my opinion.[/quote]

Mine too, but then I have small hands!. The string spacing on my MM3 is 17mm at the bridge.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='52716' date='Aug 30 2007, 12:07 PM']My No.1 choice also but I would refer you to my comment above...
Well outside my £400 budget at the minute!

Would you flog your ATK Russ?[/quote]

Hmmm... maybe... after all, once I get my custom bass plans together, I'll need a deposit... :)

I picked up an MTD Kingston for £150 here (or wherever we were at the time). I might re wind the pick up (Wizard £35), dump an East MM-a-like pre in £95 and you are away. I absolutely LOVE the MTD, it is lighter than a light thing, cheap so that I don't have to look after it and the neck is JUST FABULOUS (if you like wide and thin). I cannot speak highly enough of it.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='52686' date='Aug 30 2007, 11:16 AM']Hi guys,

Just looking other people's input here. I'm looking into a budget/mid-priced 5 string at the minute. I'd ideally like something that sounds like a Musicman 5 but with wider string spacing (19mm if possible). I sold off my MM5 I had because I couldn't get along with the string spacing. Can anyone think of something that fits the bill?

I was really excited when I heard that Ibanez were re-releasing the ATK range, until I heard that the spacing on the new 305 is 16.5mm! The mid-90's version is 19mm but they're as rare as rocking horse poo!

The ones I can think of (without going custom) are MTD imports (kingston and heir), Lakland 5502 (out of my current pricerange), mid-90's ATKs...

Looking to stay around/under the £400 mark. Anyone think of anything else?

Cheers

Ian[/quote]

[quote name='owen' post='53048' date='Aug 30 2007, 11:02 PM']I picked up an MTD Kingston for £150 here (or wherever we were at the time). I might re wind the pick up (Wizard £35), dump an East MM-a-like pre in £95 and you are away. I absolutely LOVE the MTD, it is lighter than a light thing, cheap so that I don't have to look after it and the neck is JUST FABULOUS (if you like wide and thin). I cannot speak highly enough of it.[/quote]
I had two MTD Kingston's - the single pick up model and the MM/H model and they were both great. Cost approx £200 each as I recall. Other than that, the Yamaha range of basses is pretty good too.

Good luck with the search,

Nik

[quote name='Rich' post='53165' date='Aug 31 2007, 09:48 AM'][b]Status Shark 5[/b]. There's one on fleaBay at the moment, starting at 250 if memory serves. CK had one for a while, he could give you the gen.[/quote]
I had a Shark 5 for a few years Rich..good call !

Very well made, great sound (bit like a MM bass) and brilliant low B string for a 34" scale 5er. Can't recall the string spacing but it was definitely wider than the Spector style, which is 16.5mm but maybe not 19mm. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 18mm...though can't swear on it.

Nik

[quote name='Rich' post='53165' date='Aug 31 2007, 09:48 AM'][b]Status Shark 5[/b]. There's one on fleaBay at the moment, starting at 250 if memory serves. CK had one for a while, he could give you the gen.[/quote]
D'oh! Sorry, my bad. I did of course mean [b]GROOVE[/b], not Shark. What a twerp.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120156209022&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002"]Yer tiz[/url].