Why become a member? ×

Akai Deep Impact

dirtystatic

Hey guys,

Planning on buying a synth and seeing as I've started a new job and the money seems pretty good I thought I'd get something of conciderable quality.
Just wondering what's the best way to get hold of one of these and what sort of price I should expect to pay?

If they're that hard to get hold of could anyone recomment another good synth pedal. I'm not after any sound in particular, I just want quality and variety...

Cheers!

The DI is the only synth pedal worth your time I think.

I got mine off eBay brand new (old stock of course) for £180. But you can expect to pay anything up to about £300 even for a used one. They often go for even more than that, depending on how much cash you have to burn.

I personally, wouldn't pay more than £250 for one but that's simply because it's not the most vital component of my sound.

If you're wanting quality, then IMHO, the ultimate synth would be the Roland V-bass that requires an extra pick-up installing on your bass. They're listed at about £600, but Sound Control keep selling one or two off in their regular sales for £300, which for the extra £50 if certainly worth it for the sound, but it's huge to carry.

It allows you to play any Midi sampled instruments: flutes, horns, piano etc or trigger samples.

Apparently the smaller guitar version now can handle bass too though if you want a smaller footprint, and they're £309 from Dolphin:

The pickup can be permenantly installed with screws, but most people use double sided tape.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='53196' date='Aug 31 2007, 10:33 AM']I bought one for £50, then realised I didn't really have a use for it so sold it for £85. I guess I should have hung on to it for a while.[/quote]
for your sake i hope you didnt do that recently! :)

[quote name='G-bitch' post='53615' date='Aug 31 2007, 09:44 PM']I sold mine to a forumite for £200 posted. Personally I don't think it's worth much more than that - you could buy a few wacky pedals for that![/quote]

it isnt worth more than that sound wise, personally i think its worth alot less, but you could have got a good £100 more, least your loyal to basschatters :)

[quote]I bought one for £50, then realised I didn't really have a use for it so sold it for £85. I guess I should have hung on to it for a while.[/quote]

i bought mine new off the bay for £75, had it for a while and loved it. then went through a phase where i didn't like effects and sold it on ebay for £75. less than a month later i realised i'd been a tw@ and went back onto the bay to find one. only to see them going for £200+...

i'm still kicking myself, not only because i don't have the pedal anymore, and can't afford to get one again. but also because if i'd waited a couple of months i could have made 3 or 4 times the money!! :)

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='52901' date='Aug 30 2007, 05:36 PM']Hey guys,

Planning on buying a synth and seeing as I've started a new job and the money seems pretty good I thought I'd get something of conciderable quality.
Just wondering what's the best way to get hold of one of these and what sort of price I should expect to pay?

If they're that hard to get hold of could anyone recomment another good synth pedal. I'm not after any sound in particular, I just want quality and variety...

Cheers![/quote]

If you don't want to spend the money that a DI will cost, I think the little Digitech pedal is quite nice. It doesn't have the same analog sounds that the DI provides, but it's still got some nice sounds of it's own. It's worth checking out, just to see if it's got something in there that you can use.

Having said that, I own a DI, and it always amazes me how cool some of the sounds are. I also just picked up a Unibass, which is a very cool pedal as well.

What's the Unibass? I've seen them on boards before but I've never played with one.
I was planning on picking up the Digitech BSW anyway because I heard its one of the best octave setting you can get for that sort of money.. At the moment I'm using a Sansamp for general tone sculpting and then a BP200 multi fx to add a little excitement to my playin. it was a great pedal to begin with, but now the quality of the fx is p*ssing me off and with my new job im looking to put together a nice little board

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='54857' date='Sep 3 2007, 05:56 PM']What's the Unibass? I've seen them on boards before but I've never played with one.
I was planning on picking up the Digitech BSW anyway because I heard its one of the best octave setting you can get for that sort of money.. At the moment I'm using a Sansamp for general tone sculpting and then a BP200 multi fx to add a little excitement to my playin. it was a great pedal to begin with, but now the quality of the fx is p*ssing me off and with my new job im looking to put together a nice little board[/quote]

the unibass is pretty much the best octave up available for bass, perhaps only bettered by the pog, but iv never tried one.

also it can add a 4th below or a 5th above, which when mixed with distortion sounds fantastic.

the unibass does also have built in distortion, which is fairly sh*te and is strangely low in volume, so i never use it

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='56088' date='Sep 5 2007, 05:28 PM']does iti offer and octave down setting too? are they readily available? i was planning on getting a digitech BSW for all my octave needs...[/quote]
bsw wont shift up

the unibass wont shift down

they arnt readily availbale, the last stock in the uk were sold a few weeks back from planet of sound i think

they are like double in america, so ebay would be the only way, expect around £100

I like using my unibass with the solo button engaged. Mix it with a bit of delay, pitchshift and fuzz. Makes a totally unnatural sound but its a nice little flavour to add to a song.

I owned a DI aswell for a while. It was amazing, the best synth pedal i have used, but i sold it to buy another bass. :)

[quote name='BassBalls' post='56682' date='Sep 6 2007, 08:24 PM']I like using my unibass with the solo button engaged. Mix it with a bit of delay, pitchshift and fuzz. Makes a totally unnatural sound but its a nice little flavour to add to a song.

I owned a DI aswell for a while. It was amazing, the best synth pedal i have used, but i sold it to buy another bass. :huh:[/quote]

the solo function and pitch shifitng?? dude its a bass! :)