Why become a member? ×

Precision dilemma/values/isssues

john_the_bass

Howdo. I was recently umming and aahing over selling my stingray to fund a les paul (i only want a babby one like a studio or something) and after many comments from the good people on what was BT, I decided to keep it, largely on account of how versatile it is and how much I can actually do with it.
As well as my S1 Precision, I have a(n approximately) 1984 MIJ Fender Precision in 3TS with a rosewood finger board. I've only had it about 18 months and I suspect I bought it from the original owner who had kept it for many years in a case in the cupboard. It's got a few minor dings on it and a tiny chip in the lacquer by the neck pocket which I'm thinking of having repaired) but other than that it's in great nick.
I recently thought about selling it when I was buying the ray so I could fund the ray's purchase, but i decided that i couldn't part with it, blah blah, and hung onto it and absorbed the cost of the ray. Since I made a fuss about hanging onto it, I feel I should continue to do so, but have probably only played it twice in 4 months which is a bloody shame really.

I'm umming and aahing about losing a bass again to trade for a guitar (i've still got the S1 P and the 'ray) and wondered the following.[list]
[*]Do you think I should hang onto it? I'm guessing that the end of Fullerton period MIJ stuff, manufactured when there was no USA manufacturing going on will only increase in value once 70s stuff gets out of reach to mere mortals like us.
[*]If I did think about selling it, what would you guess it's worth?
[*]And finally, if I was thinking of selling it, is there any serious interest on here?
[/list]
It's not just about the money as I firmly believe there's more to life and I think I have a tendency to add too much sentiment to things like these, but in my opinion basses (and guitars and any bloody instrument for that matter!) are meant to be played and I feel sad that it's not been out of it's case for ages.
Help!

I've said it before and I'll say it again....I once px'd a near mint 57RI 2 tone burst Precision (1982 - JV series, big 'Fender' on the headstock) for a US Jazz. Biggest mistake I ever made. It played better than any US/MIM/Jap Fender bass I have played to this day. Keep it, even if it only comes out once a month - so what, you'll still enjoy it.

Perhaps give it a set up and see how it plays over time. Otherwise, go for what feels right. Alternatively sell the S1. I used to have a good few guitars. I remember having no problem selling my US Fender Stratocaster as they're a dime a dozen.