Why become a member? ×

Dirty Maple

stewblack

Apologies if i asked this before but that would have been on BW so I can't drag up the relevant response.
How do you guys keep your maple necks clean? I asked a bassist the other day who had a similar 'Ray to mine except the neck was gorgeous and not grotty and she said she scraped it with a blade.
I just think this sounds a bit extreme!

0000 grade steel wool would be my choice. I use it to clean my Warwick SS1 and my MM Silhouette guitar. Just don't rub too hard and keep it well away from the pickups! It shines up frets nicely too.

Do you treat your neck with anything like wax, oil etc.?

[quote name='Dodge' post='53174' date='Aug 31 2007, 10:01 AM']0000 grade steel wool would be my choice. I use it to clean my Warwick SS1 and my MM Silhouette guitar. Just don't rub too hard and keep it well away from the pickups! It shines up frets nicely too.

Do you treat your neck with anything like wax, oil etc.?[/quote]
Don't treat it with anything it's due its first clean up since I bought it so I thought I'd check for tips.

I've just used some really fine steel wool on my Lakland JO's maple neck and it came up a treat. But like Dodge said, keep the debris well away from your PUP's. If stray little steel wool fibres get onto the PUP's it's like trying to clean iron filings off a magnet (for obvious reasons!!).