Why become a member? ×

Need to get funky, but in a small way.

dave_bass5

Guys
Im after suggestions for a new filter pedal.
I have a mini-Qtron that i have only used twice, just didnt really like the sound of it and its too big (mini?) for my amp bag.
Im now needing to get a bit of funk in a few songs and so would like to get a small pedal. I dont really need to emulate a certain sound, just to sound a bit funky.
Not interested in any of the EH stuff as i have said so any other suggestions.

Cheers.

[quote name='51m0n' post='53260' date='Aug 31 2007, 12:00 PM']+1

[url="http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/bassiq.htm#"]http://www.ebs.bass.se/2007/bassiq.htm#[/url]

Check out the samples.

Nice, and very very small...[/quote]

Cheers guys. I thought i had seen an EBS one but wasnt sure. seems to be ideal.
now all i have to do is track one down.
I see the Bass Centre do them, hopefully i can find it a bit cheaper than £139.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Rich' post='53278' date='Aug 31 2007, 12:24 PM']How bout the classic DOD FX25 Envelope filter?[/quote]

Is it still available? I cant find any in GAK or Soundslive and only two in the USA on ebay (only a quick search though)

Apart from my Mini-Qtron i have no experience with this sort of effect. I know i dont like the loss of volume (or notes) i get with the Q so im looking for something more subtle. The sound samples on the EBS site sound perfect for what im after.

I was looking at the Behrigner one. I know, i know but its so cheap that i might give it a try. Just to see how much use i get with it. I really only need it for maybe two or three songs althuogh i guess i could put it on every now and then when im bored.

[quote name='The Funk' post='53310' date='Aug 31 2007, 12:47 PM']The Bass Centre knocked a fair amount off the asking price when I bought a couple of EBS pedals from them. Just ask them![/quote]

Cheers, yes i was thinking that. I live about 15mins away so might pop in tomorrow if i get the chance. Bet they dont have it in stock though ;-)

Im also interested in the Maxon AF-9, seems to be around the same price but looks more complicated.

The EBS pedal is pretty good, takes a while to find the sweet spot (the key thing is to get the pot inside adjusted to your setup).

A good alternative is the EMMA Discumbobulator. It's got a wide range of usable sounds and it's a good performing pedal for the price.

There are loads of good filter pedals out there. I am sure it's only a matter of time before somebody comes along and starts uttering words like Frostwave, Chunk Systems, Mutron (and all the clones etc) but out of the ones that I have tried, the Agent 00 Funk (but it sounds like the case may be too big for your liking), the EBS and the EMMA are my favourites.

Just a warning, some filters really pump the bass so it may be worth investing in a compressor (in addition to any compressor that may be on your amp) because they'll proper rag your speakers if you are not careful!

Hope you find something which suits your needs anyway.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='53316' date='Aug 31 2007, 12:56 PM']The EBS pedal is pretty good, takes a while to find the sweet spot (the key thing is to get the pot inside adjusted to your setup).

A good alternative is the EMMA Discumbobulator. It's got a wide range of usable sounds and it's a good performing pedal for the price.

There are loads of good filter pedals out there. I am sure it's only a matter of time before somebody comes along and starts uttering words like Frostwave, Chunk Systems, Mutron (and all the clones etc) but out of the ones that I have tried, the Agent 00 Funk (but it sounds like the case may be too big for your liking), the EBS and the EMMA are my favourites.

Just a warning, some filters really pump the bass so it may be worth investing in a compressor (in addition to any compressor that may be on your amp) because they'll proper rag your speakers if you are not careful!

Hope you find something which suits your needs anyway.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.
Im pretty much set on getting the EBS now. mainly for its size. As i wont really be depending on it im not to bothered how it sounds as long as i can get a sound like the ones on the website.
I do have a Aphex PF so if i find the levels getting out of hand i can use that (although i dont at the moment).
Ill be running the filter after my AKG reciever, do you think ill run in to any problems? Guess ill just have to keep my ears open for any extra distortion.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='53397' date='Aug 31 2007, 02:56 PM']Thanks for the info.
Im pretty much set on getting the EBS now. mainly for its size. As i wont really be depending on it im not to bothered how it sounds as long as i can get a sound like the ones on the website.
I do have a Aphex PF so if i find the levels getting out of hand i can use that (although i dont at the moment).
Ill be running the filter after my AKG reciever, do you think ill run in to any problems? Guess ill just have to keep my ears open for any extra distortion.[/quote]

No worries. You will be able to get the sounds off the website if you spend the time fiddling. It's certainly not a plug and play pefal - find the sweet spots and get some masking tape and mark them! Having said that, it is a great pedal - I certainly dig mine, but I do find it frustrating with one of the most important knobs being inside the case!

Running the filter post the receiver won't give you any problems as long as the signal isn't too hot. At the end of the day, you are not changing the level of the input from your bass transmitter to you receiver. If anything is going to start peaking, it's the front end of the amp (assuming that your filter is directly in front of your amp). You have the Aphex though so you should sort that out if there is a peaking problem - just stick it after the filter to calm the peaks.

Remember, there is no wrong or right (despite what loads of people will try and tell you on here), it's all about experimentation and what works for you. Sure, people can guide you with what they've done or (in most cases) what they would do but listen to your own ears.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the BC wouldn't knock anything off their price so ive got one coming from Thomann for £132 delivered. not a great saving but it meant i could put it on my AMEX card.
So, whats the deal with the pot inside? what difference will using it make?.
Hopefully i can use it at this Sat's gig.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

just an update. Had my first gig with the IQ last night and it was all i hopped for. Hardly any level changes and a nice thick ''quack''. I used it on the hi mode a few times which surprised me as on its own i felt it was too much like my Q-tron but in the mix it sounded great.
I have a feeling i over used it last night but ill get used to it.
I had a play with the trim pot at home but couldnt really tell any difference so put it back to 100% for now.
Thanks for all the recommendations for this pedal.

• 3 weeks later...