Why become a member? ×

Spector basses

tuss

NS5CR was the forerunner to the Euro LX5 I believe. Made in the Czech Republic as well, but I think the spec might be different. The NS5CR I had was solid flame maple - not sure but does the Euro just have a figured top? Also I'm sure mine was a 34" scale. Pre-amp may be different too - Tone-pump versus Aguilar maybe? Either way, mine had a very hot output.

[quote name='tuss' post='53335' date='Aug 31 2007, 01:28 PM']Can anyone tell me the differences between a Spector Euro LX 5 and A Spector NS5CR. I believe they are both made in the Czech Republic and both have 35" scale.[/quote]

I'll add my tuppence worth.

The Czech one's are named CRFM5. (Czech Rep Flamed Maple 5) Built up to around 2000/ 2001 ish. They are solid maple body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard. They also had the Aguilar preamp.

After that period, they produced the LX5 as a replacement for the CRFM 5, also Czech, but with a 3 part body, details of which are on the Spector website. This model has the "Tonepump" preamp. Both have 35" scale.

These are superb quality instruments, well worth the money.
Frank

The difference between the NSCR and the NSCRFM was simply in the quality of the maple. Both were maple thru-neck but the 'FM' models had a flamed maple top whereas the others had a more standard top. Electronics in both were either 'Aguliar' or EMG 'Spector' circuits.

The newer LX models are thru-neck maple with alder bodysides with a slice of walnut through the middle (to increase the 'fundamental') and a maple top. They have the new Spector 'Tonepump' circuit in them. These basses are slightly lighter and take some taming! :)

I'm sure mine was solid flame maple rather than a top. Guitar Guitar in Newcastle still have it and I'm toying with buying it back - I miss it! Its Shrektastic - just like Funkymonk's. It was really high output. Not sure what circuit it had. Checked in the control cavity and the circuit looked quite diminutive - but it used to make the pre-amp on my EA amp wince - even in the active input.

[quote name='JD1' post='56212' date='Sep 5 2007, 07:49 PM']I'm sure mine was solid flame maple rather than a top. Guitar Guitar in Newcastle still have it and I'm toying with buying it back - I miss it! Its Shrektastic - just like Funkymonk's. It was really high output. Not sure what circuit it had. Checked in the control cavity and the circuit looked quite diminutive - but it used to make the pre-amp on my EA amp wince - even in the active input.[/quote]

Mine's also solid flamed maple, not just a flamed maple top. it's a beautiful piece of wood.
Frank

Yeah I used to have an amber solid flamed euro as well which I sold on; it was a beautiful bass indeed. My current spector is my main axe - the euro lx. I just preferred the tone between the two, seemed to be a bit more woody with a firmer bottom end.

Edited by Basszilla

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned my NS5CR for just under 8 years. The NS5CR is solid maple (thru neck plus wings). EMG BTC(think it's a BTC) preamp, 34" scale and abalone dot inlays.

Next model was the NS5CRFM - flamed maple top, 35" scale, Aguilar preamp and Crown inlays.

The LX is the current model - specs should be on the website.

I even had an older NS5CR that had the old SSD logo instead of the more familiar Spector logo.

Hope this helps!

[quote name='cetera' post='55801' date='Sep 5 2007, 11:28 AM']The difference between the NSCR and the NSCRFM was simply in the quality of the maple. Both were maple thru-neck but the 'FM' models had a flamed maple top whereas the others had a more standard top. Electronics in both were either 'Aguliar' or EMG 'Spector' circuits.

The newer LX models are thru-neck maple with alder bodysides with a slice of walnut through the middle (to increase the 'fundamental') and a maple top. They have the new Spector 'Tonepump' circuit in them. These basses are slightly lighter and take some taming! :huh:[/quote]

Pah!..... what do you know!?!?

........ :) I'll get me coat!