Why become a member? ×

String Intonation Problems.......

mindpop

I have a problem....I have a new 6 string bass that on the d string the higher I play up the neck the sharper it goes out of tune.. This does not happen on any other string. Does this sound like an intonation problem? Anyone out there ever experience this???
Thanks

Edited by mindpop

• 4 weeks later...

Generally, the bridge saddles when set right, will form a slightly angled line across ways. Your string may be needing a slight movement. Play it at the 12th fret and then play it open, any difference? Try playing the 12th fret harmonic and then the string too. Moving the saddle should bring the tuning into correct play.
Sometimes the string itself may be the problem so make sure you have the good stuff on there!

[quote name='mindpop' post='53693' date='Sep 1 2007, 02:46 AM']I have a problem....I have a new 6 string bass that on the d string the higher I play up the neck the sharper it goes out of tune.. This does not happen on any other string. Does this sound like an intonation problem? Anyone out there ever experience this???
Thanks[/quote]