Why become a member? ×

Pirastro Obligato and Evah Pirazzi Strings

Major-Minor

Does anyone have experience of Pirastro Obligato or Evah Pirazzi strings ?

I've always used Pirastro Flexicor on my orchestral bass and Thomastic Spirocor "Weich" on my jazz bass and have no experience with any other double bass strings except Pirastro Eudoxas which I found rather "sticky" to play on.

Ideally I'd like to find strings for my jazz bass that work better with the bow than the Spirocors. These are great strings for pizz with lots of growl, but are develish to play with the bow.

I've read that the Obligato and Evah Pirazzi's, although originally designed for classical playing, are well thought of in jazz circles.

Does anyone have first hand experience with these ? or any others for that matter ?

Dunno if this is relevant, but I had Thomastik Dominants on my last bass. They're a nylon cored string which keeps some of the feel of the spirocores (i.e. not floppy), bow more easily than the spiros and still have decent growliness and sustain for pizz. The only downside is their tendency to sudden breakage, though some people reckon you can avoid that with careful installation. They sounded good on that bass, but I've stuck with spirocores on the current bass as it came with them and sounded great. Dominants could definitely be worth a shot for mixed arco/pizz duties.

im a student at the RNCM who also plays a lot of jazz and i love the Evahs, really amazing string. Tom Martin uses them for classical and whilst i do miss the spiro wichs i love the ease of bowing....give them a try! if you want to have a play you are welcome to try my bass, cheers Geoff

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='511681' date='Jun 11 2009, 10:56 PM']im a student at the RNCM who also plays a lot of jazz and i love the Evahs, really amazing string. Tom Martin uses them for classical and whilst i do miss the spiro wichs i love the ease of bowing....give them a try! if you want to have a play you are welcome to try my bass, cheers Geoff[/quote]
Geoff dear boy
This is just want I wanted to hear. I'm certainly warming to the idea of the Evahs. I worked with Tom Martin recently but didn't get round to talking about strings. If they are good enough for him.......

Thanks for the offer of playing your bass. I might well take you up on that.
Do you play in the RNCM big band ? Give my best wishes to Mr M Hall......

The Major
(Major F Minor)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='511589' date='Jun 11 2009, 08:40 PM']Dunno if this is relevant, but I had Thomastik Dominants on my last bass. They're a nylon cored string which keeps some of the feel of the spirocores (i.e. not floppy), bow more easily than the spiros and still have decent growliness and sustain for pizz. The only downside is their tendency to sudden breakage, though some people reckon you can avoid that with careful installation. They sounded good on that bass, but I've stuck with spirocores on the current bass as it came with them and sounded great. Dominants could definitely be worth a shot for mixed arco/pizz duties.[/quote]
Thanks for this. Not sure I like the idea of "breakage" tho ! In all my many years of playing I've never actually broken a DB string (occasional BG strings maybe).
In fact, a orchestral colleague of mine used the same set of strings for 35 years ("maturing nicely").... and they were second hand when he got them ! Mind you he is from Yorkshire and has a Scottish name ! And the only reason he changed them was our employer offered to pay for new ones!

The Major

(Major F Minor)

I started off on Spiro Weich (came on my current bass when I bought it) which were great plucked but scratchy under the bow.
I used and loved Obligato for a few years, then the divils launched Evahs, so I had to try them. :)
Excellent strings, quite high tension and darkish sound. Loud. Great pizz or arco. Supposedly less prone to 'rolling' than Obligato.. I never noticed a problem there, but that's me.
I like them both!

I had a weak E string on one of my basses and considered putting a Spiro Stark on. However, I was advised to try a Evah Pirazzi. Very impressive, so I'm now 1/4 qualified to express an opinion. I understand that Pirazzi Weichs are now available in US are are getting a lot of converts among the jazzers.

[quote name='bassace' post='512158' date='Jun 12 2009, 02:37 PM']I had a weak E string on one of my basses and considered putting a Spiro Stark on. However, I was advised to try a Evah Pirazzi. Very impressive, so I'm now 1/4 qualified to express an opinion. I understand that Pirazzi Weichs are now available in US are are getting a lot of converts among the jazzers.[/quote]

Bassace dear fellow - thank you for your input. Does the Evah E string have the same growl you get with the Spiro. I love my Spiro E and am a little nervous about replacing it.

The Major

[quote name='hubrad' post='512143' date='Jun 12 2009, 02:23 PM']I started off on Spiro Weich (came on my current bass when I bought it) which were great plucked but scratchy under the bow.
I used and loved Obligato for a few years, then the divils launched Evahs, so I had to try them. :)
Excellent strings, quite high tension and darkish sound. Loud. Great pizz or arco. Supposedly less prone to 'rolling' than Obligato.. I never noticed a problem there, but that's me.
I like them both![/quote]
Many thanks for this hubrad. I'm getting some very favourable comments re the Evahs ....... think I'm going to have to try them.
The Major

they are a great string, they dont keep the growl for as long as the spiros but they are really good, check out the talkbass.com threads....theres a new version called weich which seem to have more of the spiro flavor....they sound like a good bet....not seen them in the uk yet but they are out in the US...cant decide to go for the new wiechs or the new solos! ....spoilt for choice!
as i say you are welcome to pop over from the bbc to try them anytime....just bring one of your nice english basses ;-) ....oh and that fender jazz ;-)
cheers Geoff

Guest Jecklin

Throwing something in from left field.

Have you tried innovation honeys?

On my bass they growl like spiros, have more focus in the lower mids and are very bowable.
They are same idea (ie steel wound nylon core) as evahs, oblis et al.

The only downside is they have a tendancy to false (ie the note starts at a different pitch) in higher thumb positions under the bow (being modeled on a gut string sound i suppose this is to be expected)

[quote name='merchant' post='512951' date='Jun 13 2009, 07:26 PM']Throwing something in from left field.

Have you tried innovation honeys?

On my bass they growl like spiros, have more focus in the lower mids and are very bowable.
They are same idea (ie steel wound nylon core) as evahs, oblis et al.

The only downside is they have a tendancy to false (ie the note starts at a different pitch) in higher thumb positions under the bow (being modeled on a gut string sound i suppose this is to be expected)[/quote]
I've not heard of these strings before but they sound very interesting. If only I had oodles of money I would try all these different strings - but times are hard......
But thanks for the input.
The Major

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='512686' date='Jun 13 2009, 11:11 AM']they are a great string, they dont keep the growl for as long as the spiros but they are really good, check out the talkbass.com threads....theres a new version called weich which seem to have more of the spiro flavor....they sound like a good bet....not seen them in the uk yet but they are out in the US...cant decide to go for the new wiechs or the new solos! ....spoilt for choice!
as i say you are welcome to pop over from the bbc to try them anytime....just bring one of your nice english basses ;-) ....oh and that fender jazz ;-)
cheers Geoff[/quote]
Hi Geoff
Mhairy has told me all about you (well not quite all !). Would be great to have a chat sometime.

The Major

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='512676' date='Jun 13 2009, 10:55 AM']Many thanks for this hubrad. I'm getting some very favourable comments re the Evahs ....... think I'm going to have to try them.
The Major[/quote]
I'm just "ower th'ill" so you're welcome to pop over and try mine if you like.

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='512686' date='Jun 13 2009, 11:11 AM']theres a new version called weich which seem to have more of the spiro flavor....they sound like a good bet....not seen them in the uk yet but they are out in the US...
cheers Geoff[/quote]
How mad is that - made in Germany and shipped half way round the world so available in the States. Prob cheaper there too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally decided to go for the Evah Pirazzi strings. I was able to get the "soft" gauge that have just come to the UK.

Got the G string on fine - played a few notes both pizz and arco - sounded great - was getting really excited about having the whole set on. Then DISASTER !!
I put on the D. When I got it up to about a C, the bloody machine started clicking - the thread just couldn't take the pressure. Its an old bass - probably 1850 ish - and although the tuning machines are probably not the originals, they are certainly old and knackered. Took it to Paul Ayers (Ayers Violins) in Didsbury (Manchester) and it looks like I'm gonna have to have new tuners. And I've been told they won't be cheap - got to be sourced from Germany. What a bummer !!! Could be weeks before I get it back.
Now I wish I'd stuck to my old set of Thomastic Spiros.

Oh well - such is life.........

The Major

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='512673' date='Jun 13 2009, 10:51 AM']I love my Spiro E and am a little nervous about replacing it.

The Major[/quote]
hi
Sorry to hear about your tuner\string disaster. Hope things turn out ok for you. I am surprised as I thought that spiros were a higher tension than evahs but i could be wrong. Anyway here's my experience with the strings you mentioned.
I have used evahs and yes a great string They are quite loud on my bass... dark sounding and a little shorter sustain. I prefer Belcantos for bowing though there's not much in it. And different strings react to different basses . I used to swap belcantos to spiro mittels depending on the gig. It was getting a bit much so as a compromise I now have a Spiro E and belcantos on the others. The spiro E bows fine and as you know it has a great pizz sound.
Dominants are a possibility too. They feel a little stiffer under the left hand but they have a good front end attack and a nice sustain. They are a little more difficult to bow than the evahs but not terribly so. Good luck

Edited by marvin spangles

[quote name='marvin spangles' post='530530' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:57 PM']hi
Sorry to hear about your tuner\string disaster. Hope things turn out ok for you. I am surprised as I thought that spiros were a higher tension than evahs but i could be wrong. Anyway here's my experience with the strings you mentioned.
I have used evahs and yes a great string They are quite loud on my bass... dark sounding and a little shorter sustain. I prefer Belcantos for bowing though there's not much in it. And different strings react to different basses . I used to swap belcantos to spiro mittels depending on the gig. It was getting a bit much so as a compromise I now have a Spiro E and belcantos on the others. The spiro E bows fine and as you know it has a great pizz sound.
Dominants are a possibility too. They feel a little stiffer under the left hand but they have a good front end attack and a nice sustain. They are a little more difficult to bow than the evahs but not terribly so. Good luck[/quote]
My impression was that the Evah G that I successfully put on the bass (before my disaster with the D) was thicker and more sturdy than the Spiro G (Weich).

The Major

Hi all, I thought I’ll put in my opinion on this topic.

I've just put the Evah Pirazzi soft gage strings on my bass and had a jazz gig on them yesterday.

My initial thoughts were positive; great tone, nice attack to the front of the note, low tension - so easy to play, well defined pitch, I did a bit of arco and they seemed to be good for that too.

However I did find the strings to be very rubbery and although the low tension made them easy to play the rubberyness (if that’s a word?) made them quite hard work - I felt I had to really pull the strings to get them moving. Also they seemed a bit harsh on my fingers.

Up to now I had been using Belcanto's which I thought were a good hybrid string but maybe leaning towards the arco side, these days I'm mainly doing jazz so I wanted a hybrid string that leans towards pizz.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the Obligato’s so I’m a bit wary of trying them. But I may have to give them a go, if they work then great, if not I’ll go back to the Belcanto’s.

:)

Ian.

[quote name='Ian Davies' post='531366' date='Jul 3 2009, 08:24 AM']However I did find the strings to be very rubbery and although the low tension made them easy to play the rubberyness (if that’s a word?) made them quite hard work - I felt I had to really pull the strings to get them moving. Also they seemed a bit harsh on my fingers.[/quote]

Hi Ian, not seen you before so firstly. Hi.
I've been watching this thread with interest, it's really good to hear of peoples experience with strings as (I'm sure you know) experimenting is damned expensive. I have a set of innovation silver slap on my jazz bass, they are very flexible, nice ping and not rubbery (in the sticky sense) although they are prone to choking a little if I pluck very hard. I'm not much of a bowing guy but the arco I have done sounds quite full on them.

Thanks for sharing everbody

Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='531406' date='Jul 3 2009, 09:27 AM']Hi Ian, not seen you before so firstly. Hi.
I've been watching this thread with interest, it's really good to hear of peoples experience with strings as (I'm sure you know) experimenting is damned expensive. I have a set of innovation silver slap on my jazz bass, they are very flexible, nice ping and not rubbery (in the sticky sense) although they are prone to choking a little if I pluck very hard. I'm not much of a bowing guy but the arco I have done sounds quite full on them.

Thanks for sharing everbody

Jake[/quote]

Hi Jake, thanks for the Hi!

Yes, experimenting with strings is expensive! I’ve been following a similar thread on other forums, and that’s what brought me to try the Evah Pirazzi soft gage strings. However strings sound and behave differently on each bass, so it’s very difficult to go on the opinion of others. The only solution is to just try them!

As you said the innovation strings are another option for pizz/arco and something I’ve not yet considered but it’s definitely worth bearing in mind.

I’m going to wait a bit and see how the Evah’s settle in, before I make a proper evaluation of them.

Ian

Edited by Ian Davies

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='531301' date='Jul 3 2009, 01:06 AM']sorry to hear about the tuners...hassle....
where did you get the Evah weichs from? im on the hunt!
cheers geoff[/quote]
Hi Geoff

Got them from: www.thestringzone.co.uk

£145.24 (inc p+p)

As my (jazz) bass may be out of action for a few weeks, I might be looking for some kind person in Manchester (or nearby) to lend me one !! My orch bass is just not suitable for jazz gigs. I can resort to BG for most gigs but I have one gig in 4 weeks that is definitely not a BG gig.

The Major