Why become a member? ×

Idiot time .....

Beedster

OK, I've put together a project P/J fretless that's been hanging around for a while. It's a Precision body and I simply want volume/volume (I don't want to spoil the precision look and I never use tone on a fretless anyway). Wiring appears to be a problem. Hot from P-PUP goes to left hand pole of respective pot. O/P goes from centre pole of that pot to the jack socket. Likewise J-PUP, hot to left, centre to jack socket. 250k pots. Earth from each PUP to respective pot. Earth connection between pots, socket and bridge.

OK, when I turn down the J-PUP it turns off the PUP as it should, but when I turn down the P-PUP it seems to weaken the signal slightly but doesn't turn it off completely, in fact, it makes very little difference. Combinations of different settings on each pot seem a bit strange, i.e., non-linear.

Is the problem that:

1. I'm an idiot and I've wired it wrong?
2. the pot(s) are not working properly?
3. the laws of phsyics have broken down in the Canterbury area?

Answers gratefully received
Chris

Hi - some thoughts...

I'd double check to the earth connection of the P p/up - have you got a meter of some kind? I'd be interested to check that the pot goes from 0 - 250kohms.
For some reason turning down that pot isn't making a complete short circuit as you would expect it to, so assuming the signal comes through it would suggest the earth connections aren't perfect.

Keep me updated and I'll try to help if I can - shame you're so far away, I'm sure it's something simple we could sort while the kettle boils...

This is the standard wiring for a volume pot:

[url="http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/hotpot.jpg"]http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/hotpot.jpg[/url]

[b]Left[/b] - To Ground (Lug is soldered to pot casing and pickup earth is soldered to that)
[b]Centre[/b] - Pickup In (Hot)
[b]Right[/b] - Output to Jack Socket

[b]Hot[/b]- You can either connect the pots together Right to Right then Jack socket Hot (series) or Both pots to Jack socket Hot (parallel)

[b]Earth[/b]- Connect Left to Left then Jack socket earth

Hi guys
Many thansk for the replies. Interesting in that the wiring in my current bass is nothing like the above but works! OK, I'm going to try the above suggstions, should I, in your opinions, go for series or paralell? It's a fretless PJ and I'm happy to have as many options as possible sound-wise
Once again, many thanks
Chris