Why become a member? ×

Bass Heaphone Practice Amp/Unit

gilmour

Not really sure where to post this - I'm sure it'll get moved if this is the wrong thread.

I'm imagining a bit of kit - and wondering if it exists.

I'd really like some kind of headphone amp that I can practice with (especcialy backstage - I dep in a band that have a habit of changing the set 20 mins before we go on - not really leaving time to learn the tracks) but I'd like to be able to either plug in an MP3 player, or maybe have a CD playing so that I can practice along to tracks (or learn! lol).

I'm not sure if this exists - if it does, can anyone tell me what it's called I have no idea what I'm looking for? Ideally I'd like it to be really portable as it will have to come on flights with me as hand luggage etc.

Also I assume I'll need some decent headphones, so any recommedations wamrly recieved.

Thanks

[quote name='gilmour' post='54225' date='Sep 2 2007, 03:47 PM']Not really sure where to post this - I'm sure it'll get moved if this is the wrong thread.

I'm imagining a bit of kit - and wondering if it exists.

I'd really like some kind of headphone amp that I can practice with (especcialy backstage - I dep in a band that have a habit of changing the set 20 mins before we go on - not really leaving time to learn the tracks) but I'd like to be able to either plug in an MP3 player, or maybe have a CD playing so that I can practice along to tracks (or learn! lol).

I'm not sure if this exists - if it does, can anyone tell me what it's called I have no idea what I'm looking for? Ideally I'd like it to be really portable as it will have to come on flights with me as hand luggage etc.

Also I assume I'll need some decent headphones, so any recommedations wamrly recieved.

Thanks[/quote]
It's called the pocket rockit and I've been using mine for about a year now. Plugs straight into the guitar (any guitar) has aux input and is really great. I wander merrily about the house rehearsing and is also perfect for back stage
[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/23985"]Here it is - but shop around mine was about 15 quid cheaper[/url]
[url="http://www.audiotoyz.co.uk/erol.html#2800x0&&http%3A%252F%252Fwww.google.co.uk%252Fsearch%3Fhl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%253Aen-GB%253Aofficial%26q%3D%2522pocket+rock+it%2522+bass%26btnG%3DSearch%26meta%3Dcr%253DcountryUK%257CcountryGB"]Or here - it is a seriously good bit of kit.[/url]

Edited by stewblack

I have the Rockman Bass Ace by Tom Scholz. Frankly I wouldn't recommend it - a seriously muddy sound regardless of battery state or quality of headphones.

If you're going to use this backstage, then headphones that either sit ON your ear or which are open-cup will be pretty much useless. You'll need either fully-enclosed (good, but relatively bulky) or some really good in-ear phones (easily available for iPods etc.).

If budget is not too much of a problem, try the Bose TP1 fully-enclosed headphones. Very expensive, but you get what you pay for, and they're much less bulky than the equivalent Sennheisers..

This suggestion is maybe a bit "outside the box", but I've just bought a Boss Micro BR and aside from its main application as a miniature multitrack digital recorder, I'm finding it great as a headphone amp for quiet practice. Better still, it has a built in tuner and effects too, though I just use the clean sound.

It handles MP3 files too and you can either create these by USB transfer from your PC or by hooking the Micro BR's line input up to a Hi-fi system - which means you can even convert tracks from vinyl LP's or cassettes to MP3 files.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/nobel_bass_mycro.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/nobel_bass_mycro.htm[/url]

I have one of these and honestly it is a great lil piece of kit. With some decent in ears it is pretty good. No CD input though - I might get an adaptor so I can plug one into the headphones alongside this. It weighs nothing and is handy to have attached to your strap for playing whilst watching TV etc.

Yes, I have a Pandora P4XB (bass specific rather than the newer D model which has effects for bas and guitar). It's great. You should be able to pick up the previous P3XB for £30 odd on eBay - I think it's pretty much the same but with fewer effects (though am happy to be corrected!).

I have the [url="http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=AmpworksB&category_id=6"]Korg Ampworks B[/url], which I like: similar effects to the Pandora 3B, but with knobs on. Works great as a headphone amp, though it's only portable if you have a big back or leg pocket on your trousers. Sounds are great, especially the amp simulations (for an amp non-expert such as me), though a bit effect heavy, so I've saved my own presets in the 3 provided slots.

It's now four years old, and therefore super-cheap. RRP is £89, but I bought its guitar sibling (Ampworks G) for £49 at a music show, and that was two years ago.

Has anyone got any experience of using the Tascam MP3 bass trainer.

I've had a look for reviews but can;t ind any som I'm assuming it's a pretty new piece of kit.

I've read reviews on the CD version and they're all very positive, other than the fact that the seem to eat battteries. I'd assume that the MP3 version goes through a lot less batteries than the CD version - is this the case?

I use the c-tech pocket rockit v2

[url="http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/ctechpocketrockitv2forguitar-p-1271.html?language=en&name=C-Tech%20Pocket%20Rockit%20V2%20for%20Guitar"]http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/ctechpocketro...%20for%20Guitar[/url]

It's briliiant and has various diffrerent effects distortion / delay etc and a metronome as well as a line in and out socket so i can plug in my mp3 player in. I use nothing else to practice with.

Edited by bass_in_ya_face

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='55383' date='Sep 4 2007, 04:46 PM']I use the c-tech pocket rockit v2

[url="http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/ctechpocketrockitv2forguitar-p-1271.html?language=en&name=C-Tech%20Pocket%20Rockit%20V2%20for%20Guitar"]http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/ctechpocketro...%20for%20Guitar[/url]

It's briliiant and has various diffrerent effects distortion / delay etc and a metronome as well as a line in and out socket so i can plug in my mp3 player in. I use nothing else to practice with.[/quote]
They are excellent aren't they? I take my old version Rockit with me if I'm trying out a bass just because the sound is so true.
In fact I just noticed I'm wearing it on my avatar!

Edited by stewblack

[quote name='gilmour' post='55193' date='Sep 4 2007, 12:23 PM']Has anyone got any experience of using the Tascam MP3 bass trainer.

I've had a look for reviews but can;t ind any som I'm assuming it's a pretty new piece of kit.

I've read reviews on the CD version and they're all very positive, other than the fact that the seem to eat battteries. I'd assume that the MP3 version goes through a lot less batteries than the CD version - is this the case?[/quote]

I use the guitar version, it is a little bit fussy about MP3 bitrates and the user interface isn't going to give the ipod any sleepless nights, also the 1Gb memory which cannot be added to is a bit of a downer, but it does allow me to charge it via a usb socket (or an old blackberry psu) and it allows you to get some headphone practice in at the drop of a hat (as long as your songs are already loaded). I don't use the guitar fx as I just want to make sure I know the notes and it sounds very good without any fx. I don't know how useful the bass version's fx will be, but I'm not going to upgrade mine.

Regarding the batteries - It has a built in rechargable battery and comes with a PSU/charger but more usefully also charges from the PC/Mac via a USB cable

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

• 2 weeks later...

I 've bought a "pocket rock it" from Audiotoyz for the princely sum of £34.

It is amazingly good value for money and ideal for wandering about the house/back stage/wherever, with nobody knowing exactly what you are playing - keeping the dream alive (sort of).

Rhino.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Jus thtought I'd let you know that this weekend I purchased a Tascam Bass trainer.

It's excellent, exactly what I was after, it's chunky when compared with other MP3 players, but they don't allow you to plug a bass in. Sound quality is good, it has a built in tuner and EQ (without the EQ Bass sounds really nasal) it also has a bunch of other effects that i will never ever use (auto wah, distortion, chorus etc).

It can function as just a headphone a,p, or you can play along with MP3s. One usefull feature is that you can slow a track down whilst you practice to it. The sound goes a little funny but does allow you to work on those quicker fills that I'd normally just fudge!

All in all I'm really pleased with it. I might write a review at some point if I get the time.