Why become a member? ×

Off to Crete and worried sick...

niceguyhomer

I'm taking the family to Crete for a week tonight and it's going to cost me a shedload. While we're away, there's two birthdays - my eldest daughter is 20, my wife is 50 on Thursday and on Sunday, it's our 30th wedding anniversary BUT, that's not what I'm worrying about, no sir.

While we're away, I got the former bassist of my band to stand in for me and unlike me, he's absolute class on four strings. I'm praying he breaks a string or something cos I'm worried that I'll get sacked while I'm away... :)

Pray for the fat yellow bloke will ya.

Edited by niceguyhomer

You should have asked me - I'm crap!!!

Crete's great - big too. You enjoy your hol and forget about it. Either he left your band or they chucked him out , it follows there's some sort of prob so he's hardly likely to be invited to , or want to , come back full time.

Happy anniversary to you and your lady too.

Hi Alan

Crete is a gorgeous island - enjoy it whilst you're there is my advice. If you get a chance try and visit the mountain area as there are some beautiful villages there and it'll be a bit cooler too (if you don't like the really intense heat..).

My advice is don't worry about the bloke depping for you; he must be the 'former bassist' for a reason??

It's not always about how good someone is musically. It's also about how everyone gets on and interacts in a band situation, which is much more important sometimes.

Anyway, have a good one :) and post some photos when you're back.

Nik

Enjoy your stay in Crete! It's not that hot now in September!

Definitely visit the mountains and the villages there, eat as much fried Graviera as you can and be careful not to over do it with Tsikoudia!

An if you get near Chania the best beach to go is Falassarna and Elafonisi :)

Edited by fleamail

Thanks for your support fellas :) The last bassist - Nick (you were right Steve) turned professional and left the band to concentrate on building that up, I hope it stays that way.

Thanks for all the tips about where to go in Crete - I'll definitely be doing Elafonisi, the drive through the White Mountains to Chora Sfakion is a must as is a trip into Chania - all that stuff, we absolutely love the place. Weather is going to be mid 30s and sunny every day - perfect.

Now then...pass me the raki.... :wacko:

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='54796' date='Sep 3 2007, 04:06 PM']I'm taking the family to Crete for a week tonight and it's going to cost me a shedload.[/quote]
So no playing for nothing when you get back then :huh: Have to pay for the hols somehow Alan.
Enjoy, will sort out where the gig(s) are and go and heckle. :)
Next time you want a dep, ask me cos I bet I'm worse than you.

Edited by BassBunny

Oops nearly missed you Alan. Congratulations on your Aniversary. I've not made that long in all my marriages added together :)

Seriously, you really shouldn't worry, I say that having heard you play.

Have a great hol, did Crete in the Navy as a Rating in whites, mind that was in the early 70's :huh: It was great.

Peter

I went to Crete a few years ago and loved it. I prefer the quieter west side of the island. Definitely recommend having a nosy about the Ida Mountains. If you are feeling brave there is Somaria Gorge :) It will be pretty dam hot now but at this time of the year, the sea will be at a really nice temperature to swim in.

Bring on the souvlaki YUM YUM YUM!!!

Oh and don't worry about your stand in. If you tell me where he is playing I will go and poke him in the eye or something :huh:

Nah seriously - it would take a band who aren't worth your time to sack you while you are on holiday for their former bassist. You have nothing to worry about buddy.

[quote name='Sean' post='54943' date='Sep 3 2007, 08:37 PM']Congrats on your 30th Anniversary. You do realise that it's your Pearl Wedding Anniversary. I suppose there'll be a very special gift there then! :) :huh:[/quote]

Sean. Dude. You have just given me the best reason yet to get myself married and moreover, to stay married for that 30th anniversary :huh:

Edited by G-bitch

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just got back and spoke to the singist - my job's safe!!!! Apparently, I fill out the bottom end better which I take to mean my arse is fatter :)

Had a fantastic time - here's a pic of me 'n Marge in Chania having lunch on her birthday...

Here's me 'n Marge on the beach at Almirida, I'm gesturing at some Germans just out of shot..

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='59331' date='Sep 12 2007, 03:49 PM']Well I just got back and spoke to the singist - my job's safe!!!! Apparently, I fill out the bottom end better which I take to mean my arse is fatter :)[/quote]
:huh:

Glad to hear the job is safe...Nice photos, looks beautiful and relaxing...