Why become a member? ×

Carol Kaye or James Jamerson

grahamlparker

[quote name='Buzz' post='525036' date='Jun 26 2009, 05:23 PM']I'd chose Carol Kaye, after all, if you think it's a Jamerson song, she's actually the one who played it :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

Well there’s some dispute about who played what on what. Don’t you think Jamerson pips Kaye at the post for his improvisation skills and right hand technique? :)

[quote name='grahamlparker' post='525050' date='Jun 26 2009, 05:34 PM']Well there’s some dispute about who played what on what. Don’t you think Jamerson pips Kaye at the post for his improvisation skills and right hand technique? :)[/quote]

Ah yes, I forgot that newer people won't get that joke. It's quite a relic from earlier times on this forum (I think, might have even been previous incarnations) where there was a big discussion and quite a bit of humour involved.

Carol for me, but that's only with a gun to my head! We're comparing a very good apple with a very good orange here. Two completely different players, styles, techniques, and for that matter genres. (OK, I think that might be splitting hairs), but I think Carol Kaye was the more versatile of the two. It's totally subjective. She cooks my noodle more than Jamerson.

It's my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='525067' date='Jun 26 2009, 05:45 PM']Carol for me, but that's only with a gun to my head! We're comparing a very good apple with a very good orange here.
It's my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it. :)[/quote]

plus the one.

but i go for carol kaye.

better dress sense [i]and[/i] she played on pet sounds.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='grahamlparker' post='525018' date='Jun 26 2009, 05:08 PM']Carol Kaye played with a pick whereas James Jameson plucked with just one finger. Who would you choose between these two early bass guitar pioneers?[/quote]

You see, you just became spam to me....
*puts line through name in diary*

[quote name='grahamlparker' post='525050' date='Jun 26 2009, 05:34 PM']Well there’s some dispute about who played what on what. Don’t you think Jamerson pips Kaye at the post for his improvisation skills and right hand technique? :rolleyes:[/quote]

:)
Welcome to basschat mate.
If you do a search on this topic (JJ Vs CK) you'll fine acres of it to keep you amused ...

The forum has a poll option, just add it to your post.

However the cynic in my thinks you've read a book on driving traffic to your website using articles and forum entries ....

Jamerson for me but only because he has never claimed to have played bass on some of the recordings that I have. It is really obvious that I play fingerstyle and that on most of the recordings I've made it is so obviously not a plectrum. :)

Jamerson is my hero but Carol Kaye, aside from the age old argument of who played on what (the answer to which is completely obvious anyway) is a marvelous and incredibly well respected bass player. She re-invented the way bass was played on records all through the 60's and 70's.

The greatest Bass player in the world is a woman, well according to this guy anyway. i didn't know she played on Love's Forever Changes. she 's just gone up a notch in my book. [url="http://rateyourmusic.com/list/chrismass61/the_greatest_bass__player_of_all_times_is_a_woman____/"]http://rateyourmusic.com/list/chrismass61/...is_a_woman____/[/url]

Both are brilliant. I don't buy into this Jamerson being bass & Carol Kaye being guitar theory. Nice idea but it is a bass guitar after all! Leo Fender designed it to be an accessable way for guitarists to play bass. If we are taking bass surely it'd be a double bass to be true proper bass? Both have done enough quality recordings to earn a place up there with the best of them. 'Nuff said!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='525424' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:18 PM']If you make basses as nice as Graham's I don't think you need cheap tricks to draw punters into your website, give a new member a break![/quote]

Sorry, that's how it looked.
Maybe if he'd waited a few weeks before blatantly plugging his business he would have got a different response.

[quote name='grahamlparker' post='525018' date='Jun 26 2009, 05:08 PM']Carol Kaye played with a pick whereas James Jameson plucked with just one finger. Who would you choose between these two early bass guitar pioneers? [quote]

I can't believe it's taken me this long to come up with the reply....[b][i]Hey Lord. Don't ask me questions.[/i][/b]

[quote name='beerdragon' post='525363' date='Jun 26 2009, 09:30 PM']i didn't know she played on Love's Forever Changes.[/quote]
The font of all knowledge (...[cough]Wikipedia[/cough]...) says only on "Andmoreagain", and that's unconfirmed. So possibly not at all.

Although it seems she definitely guitarred on "The Daily Planet".