Why become a member? ×

What size hex key for an MM Sub bridge saddle

WalMan

So after my rant about the kids nicking tools last night I went & bought a Roadie Rench this lunchtime but none of the hex keys on it seem to fit the bridge saddles on the [url="http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/silverfoxnik/Sub5onstandbody.jpg"]MM Sub 5[/url] I acquired from Silvefoxnik via Beedster recently.

I need to raise the B string saddle as the Elixirs I put on last night is taper wound at the ball end on the B, which the old strings weren't.

Help!!! :)

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='55278' date='Sep 4 2007, 02:11 PM']So after my rant about the kids nicking tools last night I went & bought a Roadie Rench this lunchtime but none of the hex keys on it seem to fit the bridge saddles on the [url="http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/silverfoxnik/Sub5onstandbody.jpg"]MM Sub 5[/url] I acquired from Silvefoxnik via Beedster recently.

I need to raise the B string saddle as the Elixirs I put on last night is taper wound at the ball end on the B, which the old strings weren't.

Help!!! :)[/quote]

Ah, the good old Roadie Wrench, a great piece of kit unless you need to adjust anything! I was given one for Xmas and it didn't fit anything.
Hello WalMan, I hope you're enjoying the SUB, I still miss it! This question has been asked on several occasions and unfortunately the answer seems to be "it depends on what screws EBMM put in the saddles". The SUB grub screws were different to my mid 80's 'ray which was different again to my more recent 'ray and SR5. Trial and error I'm afraid. I know I've got a key that fits, unfortunately I just don't know which one it is. A short term solution is a thin piece of card under the saddle to raise it until you can adjust the screws.
All the best
Chris

I bought a 30 piece allen key set from Focus - 15 metric from 0.7mm - 10mm and 15 Imperial from 0.025" - 3/8" and I haven't yet found an allen screw that one of them won't fit. I've also discovered that some instruments require both metric and imperial keys depending which part you're adjusting!

It is odd actually as it looks like the B string saddle adjusters could be different sizes as I have found a key that fits the inside post but is too small for the outer.

Anyway quiet rehearsal tonight and a second set I ordered from Stringbusters in case arrived today with a non taper B, so I took the taper off & filed that as a "last resort" replacement and put on the normal B.

Worked much better, but I think as my band plays detuned a semitone and the bass will spend most of its time strung that way I shall just get it into my local guitar man for a general set up tomorrow (if I can persuade 'er indoors to make the delivery & collection for me).

Not 1/16 or 5/64 or 1.5 mm - those being the smallest I could find in B&Q this evening on the way home.

[quote name='Hamster' post='55717' date='Sep 5 2007, 08:42 AM']What you want is a 0.05" hex key, the one in my set is an exact fit.

Hamster[/quote]
Cheers. I shall have to go up to the old style / got everything hardware store tomorrow lunchtime.

[b][i][size=6][font="Impact"]Laydeees n gennulmen[/font][/size][/i][/b] - we have the answer.

The head of the grub screw is knackered At least that was the technical term used by the guitar chappie who had it for a once over / set up. :) Well you've got to laugh.

So the query now becomes:

Where can I find a grub screw to replace the knack'd one for next time I change the strings (which will be a way off as they are Elixirs) or shall I need a complete saddle assembly.

Looks like a Google tonight unless anyone can point me in the right direction quicker.

[EDIT] Email to EB to see if I can blag anything otherwise possibly this will do the trick (and not hugely expensive either) - [url="http://www.wdmusic.com/musicman_reg_style_bass_bridge_24410_prd1.htm"]WD parts[/url]

Edited by WalMan

[quote]Has Graham set it up now and if so, how is it [s](going off topic again...)[/s]?

Nik[/quote]

Got it back yesterday & he has adjusted it by resting the saddle on a washer at the mo. Looks OK though, but I had no chance to check it out last night.

Subject to a response from MM I think I shall probably just get a [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/shop/products.php?category=206&product=2281"]WD replacement MM5 bridge[/url] and try to slide out the current B saddle and insert one from the WD temporarily. The Elixirs have only just gone on and I do not want to keep taking them off & putting them back. It looks like it should be easy enough to slacken the string and swap the saddle assembly over. I can always put the whole thing on when I next change the strings, but that will probably not be for a while now :)

[quote name='WalMan' post='56480' date='Sep 6 2007, 01:08 PM']Got it back yesterday & he has adjusted it by resting the saddle on a washer at the mo. Looks OK though, but I had no chance to check it out last night.

Subject to a response from MM I think I shall probably just get a [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/shop/products.php?category=206&product=2281"]WD replacement MM5 bridge[/url] and try to slide out the current B saddle and insert one from the WD temporarily. The Elixirs have only just gone on and I do not want to keep taking them off & putting them back. It looks like it should be easy enough to slacken the string and swap the saddle assembly over. I can always put the whole thing on when I next change the strings, but that will probably not be for a while now :)[/quote]
Hi Al,

I used my Wal allen key to raise/lower the B string which worked OK. You're welcome to borrow that if needs be.... Seems like you have a solution but I'm concerned you've got extra expense on this so we need to talk as I wouldn't have wanted to 'saddle you' :huh: with a problem!!

Will call you on your mobile later,

Nik

:huh: [quote name='WalMan' post='56480' date='Sep 6 2007, 01:08 PM']Got it back yesterday & he has adjusted it by resting the saddle on a washer at the mo. Looks OK though, but I had no chance to check it out last night.

Subject to a response from MM I think I shall probably just get a [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/shop/products.php?category=206&product=2281"]WD replacement MM5 bridge[/url] and try to slide out the current B saddle and insert one from the WD temporarily. The Elixirs have only just gone on and I do not want to keep taking them off & putting them back. It looks like it should be easy enough to slacken the string and swap the saddle assembly over. I can always put the whole thing on when I next change the strings, but that will probably not be for a while now :)[/quote]

A bit dramatic, trust me, unless Nik changed the grub screws, there is a standard size key that fits that particular saddle, I know as I adjusted it several times dues to stringing the bass alternately B-G and E-C. A decent tool shop will have a set for probably under a fiver and then you have the whole set. A replacement bridge is overkill on a George Bush scale :huh:

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='56514' date='Sep 6 2007, 01:45 PM']I wouldn't have wanted to 'saddle you' :huh: with a problem!![/quote]
Nik

Until you said that I was going to say no problem but.........its no problem really. :huh:

The WD bridge was just an idea - and its not hugely expensive, if overkill as Chris says.

I sent MM an email & included an address in the vague hope they turned out to be one of those companies that would just stick a load of screws in an envelope and post them :)

I think a quick toddle to the top of Guildford tomorrow for a better selection of keys is still in order. I seem to have a huge number of keys all roughly the same size just never quite the right size DOH! Some fit one side but not the other - wierd

Still it sounded nice at the quiet r/h at our sound guys house Tuesday so I have no great qualms about the bass, and was certainly not having a dig - though again with the kwalidy of that pun perhaps I should :huh:

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='56668' date='Sep 6 2007, 07:49 PM']Nik

Until you said that I was going to say no problem but.........its no problem really. :huh:

The WD bridge was just an idea - and its not hugely expensive, if overkill as Chris says.

I sent MM an email & included an address in the vague hope they turned out to be one of those companies that would just stick a load of screws in an envelope and post them :)

I think a quick toddle to the top of Guildford tomorrow for a better selection of keys is still in order. I seem to have a huge number of keys all roughly the same size just never quite the right size DOH! Some fit one side but not the other - wierd

Still it sounded nice at the quiet r/h at our sound guys house Tuesday so I have no great qualms about the bass, and was certainly not having a dig - though again with the kwalidy of that pun perhaps I should :huh:[/quote]
Phew - for a moment there Al, I thought I'd gone a bridge too far! :huh:

On a serious note, please let me know if it gets to be an expensive problem to sort out.. Just a thought but Mervyn at Amps-n-Nits in Worthing deals with MM's importers all the time and I wonder if he could help by asking them directly for you?

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='56713' date='Sep 6 2007, 09:51 PM']Phew - for a moment there Al, I thought I'd gone a bridge too far! :)
Nik[/quote]

[size=1]Please[/size]. [size=3]Stop[/size]. [size=6][b]Now[/b][/size].

It's obvious you're just grubbing around.

Edited by Bloodaxe

How you all have the neck to keep stringing these puns out is driving me nuts. I don't think my truss can stand much more :huh:

Oh all right I know I branched out to bass generally I ran out of bridge references unless it was by way of ball ends, which seemed to be lowering the tone a tad! :huh:

Hadn't thought of Mervyn, but could give him a go on Saturday. I actually got in there last Saturday for the first time and wandered round saying "used to have one of those, used one of those, and those, and those" ad infinitum it seemed. Bit of a blast from the past gear wise. Traynor & Selmer columns, Copicats etc

Oh yes, and I hadn't realised until I was looking at the current top thread on the John East forum, and then dug the SUB out to check, that the treble pot has Pull Bright on it. I really shall have to be careful using that stun setting as I suspect it could be a bit like Sylers trick in Heroes
- OK so my photoshoppings not great. It's supposed to be a head being sliced off :)

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='56741' date='Sep 6 2007, 10:51 PM']How you all have the neck to keep stringing these puns out is driving me nuts. I don't think my truss can stand much more :huh:

Oh all right I know I branched out to bass generally I ran out of bridge references unless it was by way of ball ends, which seemed to be lowering the tone a tad! :huh:

Hadn't thought of Mervyn, but could give him a go on Saturday. I actually got in there last Saturday for the first time and wandered round saying "used to have one of those, used one of those, and those, and those" ad infinitum it seemed. Bit of a blast from the past gear wise. Traynor & Selmer columns, Copicats etc[/quote]
Ok!! I quit :)

Both yours and Pete's (Bloodaxe) responses have made it clear my humour is about as good as Sid Viscious's bass playing, or maybe it's even worse than that which would be unthinkably bad.. :huh:

I know what you mean about Amps-n-Bits; it is a bit like a trip down memory lane.. But at least it makes a refreshing change from the glut of modern-day music shops that only want to sell you a Fender Squire bass, practice amp, lead , cable and gig bag all for £9.99 or something!!