Why become a member? ×

What size hex key for an MM Sub bridge saddle

WalMan

I there...

I have a similar problem with the Badass II fitted to the Jaguar bass that I got from Steve-Norris earlier this year. I have lots of allen keys around (a full metric set and a full imperial set from RS Comp), but none off them fit the Badass saddle screws! Does anyone know what is the sized key required for these bridges ?

In the past I have managed to get around this problem by lifting or removing the saddle from the bridge and try to adjust the saddle screw from the underside of the saddle just using my fingers or with small pliers, but this is too fiddly...

Cheers
Joao

[quote name='baixo' post='59750' date='Sep 13 2007, 10:42 AM']I there...

I have lots of allen keys around (a full metric set and a full imperial set from RS Comp), but none off them fit the Badass saddle screws![/quote]

There's no such thing as a full set. If a manufacturer, for whatever reason, decides to make the socket .033 of an inch, you will need a tool either supplied by that manufacturer or custom made to adjust it. It's one of the way manufacturers ensure that people who buy their products also have to buy their tools. Generally however, when you get down to differences of 1/100th of an inch, a size or two smaller will generally do the trick. If you're going to do this however, in relation to a bridge grub screw I'd release the string tension first
Chris

I think that I have found a key, but have no idea of the size (bigger than 1.2), it just seems to work on the other saddles.

That said Strings & Things who distribute MM have come up trumps and supplied some replacement saddle screws so a major tick & gold star for that :huh: Now all I have to do is fit one.

[Edit] :wacko: OFFS!! I can't get the old one out, there's nothing to grip either end. I SHALL NOT BE BEATEN :)

Edited by WalMan

Hey Walman, i had the same problem with my SUB when i wanted to adjust the saddle height. First i thought the screws were knackered so ordered some replacements, alas they did'nt work! Basically the 1/16" hex key they recommend on the EBMM site is incorrect information. Speak to Kevin at StringsandThings and request a hex key set, he sent me one for free! and yes i can now adjust my SUB saddles.

[quote name='richy316' post='60581' date='Sep 14 2007, 08:28 PM']Hey Walman, i had the same problem with my SUB when i wanted to adjust the saddle height. First i thought the screws were knackered so ordered some replacements, alas they did'nt work! Basically the 1/16" hex key they recommend on the EBMM site is incorrect information. Speak to Kevin at StringsandThings and request a hex key set, he sent me one for free! and yes i can now adjust my SUB saddles.[/quote]
Funnily enough I spoke to him at lunchtime today. They had sent me a couple of replacement screws, but I cannot get the old one out. Had a quick word & I am hoping a replacement saddle will drop through the door tomorrow morning or Monday.

So far as it goes it is set up sitting on a washer protem and is working fine - it will just be nice to sort it :)

And relaaaaaaax!

I owe Pete & Kevin at Strings & Things huge thanks & a pint or two I think.

Still not got to the bottom of the correct size key(though I do have one that fits & works), [i][b][u]BUT[/u][/b][/i] in response to a first email they provided a couple of grub screws at the beginning of last week, and when I found the old screws would not come out a phone call yesterday lunchtime found a spare saddle which hit my door mat this morning (Saturday) and is now fitted and working. :)

All hail S&T

• 2 weeks later...