Why become a member? ×

My jack socket

Tait

On my squier jazz bass, when the lead is only partially into the jack socket, it's a lot louder than when the lead is all the way in.

It has a pre-amp (I'm not sure what make) that was fitted by another basschatter but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, i just thought anyone who might be able to help should know. This has only started happening recently and I hope someone knows how to sort this out.

Ok, I have no idea what kind of jack it is, but its the same as on a Jazz Bass, and what you said Neepheid, i didn't understand a word of it :) (I'm sorry, but i really don't have a clue about the electronics in a bass). The battery is fine, i changed it about a week ago

Edited by lwtait

• 3 weeks later...

90% of problems with signal loss etc seems to always be about connections or leads. Maybe your actual guitar lead is a bit faulty?
With guitars/basses that have batteries in them, the jack socket is a "stereo" socket which will have 3 tags on it.
So, you will have the earth wire to one tag, the actual signal or "hot" wire to another tag and then the wire from the battery itself to the third tag. (The battery also has a wire that will be wired to earth inside the bass, probably onto the back of a potentiometer). When you plug your jack lead into your bass, the battery is then "connected" or activated so that your onboard active pickups or pre-amp will be powered up. This also means that when the jack lead isn't plugged in, the battery will not be running down.
On a simple system with no battery, there is just the plain jack socket with 2 connections, one is the earth wire out and the other the "live" signal from the pickups.
Beware, solder these the wrong way and expect trouble! If you aren't sure ever about doing that, take it to a decent repairer.

[quote name='lwtait' post='57191' date='Sep 7 2007, 08:39 PM']Sorted... somehow... :)

I didn't do anything (as far as I know) but its not doing it any more! I'll tell you if it starts happening again.[/quote]