Why become a member? ×

RIP R,5,R,5...

Kiwi

Just found out today from a former colleague of his, that R,5,R,5... died a couple of weeks ago from a cardiac arrest while playing sport. He was a research fellow in Anthropology at Oxford who some may remember used Basschat for research purposes. I counted him as a close friend and he was 33. He was devastatingly intelligent, a gentle giant of a man who possessed a wicked sense of humour. I'll miss his unique brand of italian lunacy in particular.

He leaves behind a loving wife and an Alembic Series II.

RIP Nick. :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='529095' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:21 PM']Wow that is a shock. I remember some great posts of his.

I'd like to celebrate that he shone so brightly.

Peter[/quote]

I hope you dont mind me echoing these sentiments exactly Peter!

Very sad news.

[quote name='NickThomas' post='529087' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:16 PM']My goodness. I didnt know him really, but he seemed a really cool level headed and knowledgeable fella. RIP , and my condolences to his family and friends.

Nick.[/quote]

+1

Well said Nick..happy to echo those sentiments!

[quote name='bythesea' post='529133' date='Jun 30 2009, 09:51 PM']Was before my time on BC, but always sad to hear news like this. Condolences to his family.[/quote]

Same here. But it's always sad when a member passes away. It is, after all, a community of sorts.

RIP fella.

:)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='529148' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:05 PM']Nic who was doing the Normative Reasoning research?

I had a few emails with him about it. Sad day :)[/quote]
Yeah Simon, the same guy. I'm gutted.

[quote name='Mike' post='529153' date='Jun 30 2009, 10:10 PM']Oh dear - very sad news. I met him at a bassbash and he seemed taken with my 68 fender jazz fretless. Seemed a thoroughly nice chap. Very sad.[/quote]
He last logged into the forum on June 9th so he would have passed away shortly after. His colleague is a member of the forum now so perhaps he can shed some more light on what happened. I'd really like to get in contact with his wife, she must be beside herself with grief at the moment. They were very devoted to one another.

I remember taking him to that national bass bash Mike mentioned. We were laughing so much on the way there that I had to be extra careful driving. Ironically we did say farewell to one another recently, pending my departure to NZ but noone could have known it would be forever.

I've just checked my PM inbox and the most recent PM I received from him was sent while he was at work at the godforsaken hour of 7am which I thought was crazy. The last thing he wrote to me in response was this:

[i]"I'm not crazy! How could I be crazy?! I am Napoleon!!!"[/i]

And that's how I'm going to remember him. :)

In fact, I've just discovered the last time he logged into the forum was the day he died.

[url="http://cognitionandculture.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=468:in-memoriam-nicola-knight&catid=29:dan&Itemid=34"]http://cognitionandculture.net/index.php?o...n&Itemid=34[/url]