Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

I'm going to get some earplugs for gigs (mine and other bands) and rehearsals. For now I want to try out some generic ones (ACS Pacato, Elacin ER20 and the like) until I can get some ear moulds done and get some ACS Pros.

The problem that I may have is that I think my ear canals may be quite small. I have never ever been able to get a pair of in-ear headphones to fit, despite trying all sizes of them. They either dig in and hurt or just fall out. Will earplugs (other than moulded ones) be any different? I guess for a tenner or so it's worth trying them but I'm also loathe to waste any money.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1413318652' post='2577158']
I'm going to get some earplugs for gigs (mine and other bands) and rehearsals. For now I want to try out some generic ones (ACS Pacato, Elacin ER20 and the like) until I can get some ear moulds done and get some ACS Pros.

The problem that I may have is that I think my ear canals may be quite small. I have never ever been able to get a pair of in-ear headphones to fit, despite trying all sizes of them. They either dig in and hurt or just fall out. Will earplugs (other than moulded ones) be any different? I guess for a tenner or so it's worth trying them but I'm also loathe to waste any money.
[/quote]

I use these and they are very soft indeed. They do make things very quiet though (good for me as it is a very loud band) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0062MJLOG

Also used these in the past, not quite as soft and less of a volume dampener but still much more gentle than the ER-20s. Pretty flat response in my experience too http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0007XJOLG

• 1 month later...

I bought ER20s for my girls (12 and 13), when we went to see Black Stone Cherry and Airbourne a couple of weeks ago. They struggled with the Bass levels at Wembley the year before, when we went to see Alter Bridge and Shinedown. No problems this time whatsoever. I am just about to buy a pair for myself now (Slash on Saturday :D).

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1416832249' post='2613956']
I bought ER20s for my girls (12 and 13), when we went to see Black Stone Cherry and Airbourne a couple of weeks ago. They struggled with the Bass levels at Wembley the year before, when we went to see Alter Bridge and Shinedown. No problems this time whatsoever. I am just about to buy a pair for myself now (Slash on Saturday :D).
[/quote]

Wish i had taken ear plugs for Airbourne, two days of ringing wasn't the nicest.

[quote name='Joeyfivebags' timestamp='1417519243' post='2621182']
Wish i had taken ear plugs for Airbourne, two days of ringing wasn't the nicest.
[/quote]

Well just to follow up, no ringing after the Slash (and supports) concert and could hear everything fine (other than the bass mix obviously :D ). Really impressed.

Edited by DorsetBlue

I always struggled with ER20's as I have smallish ear canals too! Found them really painful after an hour or so so opted for ACS Pro 17's and an additional set of -20db filters for the metal band I dep for, they are so comfortable to wear, I certainly wont gig or attend gigs without them now.

Money well spent.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1417551187' post='2621678'] I always struggled with ER20's as I have smallish ear canals too! Found them really painful after an hour or so so opted for ACS Pro 17's and an additional set of -20db filters for the metal band I dep for, they are so comfortable to wear, I certainly wont gig or attend gigs without them now. Money well spent. [/quote]

I had this problem so ended up with a 'full plug' for the ER20's.

• 5 weeks later...

Yep, they are ACS. However, I have come to the conclusion that it is time for some new ones. Once you pass 40 your ear canals change shape and the suggestion is that you get new molds every 4 years. I am happy to go with ACS, but someone has pointed me in the direction of Hocks filters as well. Does anyone have any experience of the Hocks stuff?

TIA

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1417551187' post='2621678']
I always struggled with ER20's as I have smallish ear canals too! Found them really painful after an hour or so so opted for ACS Pro 17's and an additional set of -20db filters for the metal band I dep for, they are so comfortable to wear, I certainly wont gig or attend gigs without them now.

Money well spent.
[/quote]

There are two sizes, a regular ER20 and a small ER20S. I too had issues with comfort with the regular ER20, but got a set of ER20S and they feel great, and do the job admirably for me.

I am getting a new set of ACS plugs. They no longer make the ER plugs so the set of filters I have will become redundant. If anyone needs filters or earphones for your present ER plugs I am flogging them here.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254847-acs-er-filters-headphones-for-your-custom-plugs/

I am licensed to flog on the forum :)

• 2 months later...

I found at the weekend the filter had fallen out of my right earplug, to be honest I hadn't noticed until I took it out during the break. No sign of the filter itself, could be anywhere, as I don't know when it dissappeared; once I knew it was gone I could tell there was a little less attenuation in my right ear and the reduction was less flat.

So, today - first day back at work after Easter - called up ACS, they're still under warranty so they emailed me an RMA form straight away, I got them off in the post and they should be back to me in two weeks. My next gig isn't until the 25th of April, so should just be back to me in time.

They'll replace the filter and might re-mould the right earplug to make the inner canal slightly smaller so it grips the filter better.

Will keep this thread updated with how the returns process goes.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1429186711' post='2748901']
Anyone tried Doc's Proplugs?

I have some er-20s but I don't like how far they stick out from my ears. The proplugs are flush with the ear and a bit more discreet. Would be interested to hear from people who have tried them in a musical scenario.
[/quote]

Yep, used them for years, couldn't recommend them enough! Very comfortable, long lasting, hardly noticeable by anyone else, and don't muffle the sound at all. Good clear sound, just the volume reduced! Make sure you get the right size though...

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1429186968' post='2748908']
Yep, used them for years, couldn't recommend them enough! Very comfortable, long lasting, hardly noticeable by anyone else, and don't muffle the sound at all. Good clear sound, just the volume reduced! Make sure you get the right size though...
[/quote]

Thanks. Did you have the vented or unvented ones?

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1429190736' post='2749011']
My ACS customs should hopefully be here in the next week or so. Big lump of cash to throw out but then again, you only get one set of ears.

Liam
[/quote]

You only get one set of ears. I cannot now play without earplugs in due to damage. I cannot hear detail in what others are doing. Playing is not as much fun as it was. Everyone sort out hearing protection. Do it today.

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1429189699' post='2748989']
Use the vented ones myself, but I think both work well.
[/quote]

Thanks.

I’m a bit confused by the Doc’s Proplugs to be honest. The music shop near me only seem to sell the vented ones, and the Doc’s site says get Vented for music but, strangely, according to the Doc’s website the vented ones barely attenuate at all below 1000Hz which I think is a bit pointless for rock music.

[url="https://www.proplugs.com/protunes.shtml"]https://www.proplugs.com/protunes.shtml[/url]

This is the frequency response of the ones I have just now:

[url="http://media.etymotic.com/media/wysiwyg/hearing_protection/etyplugs_nr_chart_foam_2015b.png"]http://media.etymotic.com/media/wysiwyg/hearing_protection/etyplugs_nr_chart_foam_2015b.png[/url]

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1429191177' post='2749020']
You only get one set of ears. I cannot now play without earplugs in due to damage. I cannot hear detail in what others are doing. Playing is not as much fun as it was. Everyone sort out hearing protection. Do it today.
[/quote]

Ditto +1000