Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1350638873' post='1841494']
Aren't the ACS Pro-17's designed for vocalists?

I'd give ACS a call and find out what they recommend.
[/quote]

ACS recommended Pro-17's for me as i do a lot of vocals as well as bass. You can modify the filters if you choose too.

I was using ACS ER-20's. They were OK (ish) but cut some frequencies far more than others, and I was aware of having them in all the time. Our drummer said he knew of a better set he would get for me.

They are called "Hearos" and the model is the "Rock & Roll Series". He got me a pair & they are brilliant - just like turning all of the volume down - they cut 22Db, and are really comfortable & effective - you can still hold a conversation, but they take excess/painful edge off in our reharsal room which is only small.

Also they only cost £6.45 on Ebay..... ( & NO, I DON'T WORK FOR THEM OR SELL THEM ON EBAY MYSELF :lol: ).

• 1 month later...

Been using custom plugs with ER15 filters for years.
I used to work for a Danish Hearing Instrument manufacturer and no matter how many thousands you pay for hearing aids they'll NEVER replace what you've aready got stuck to either side of your head.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DrDrill' timestamp='1356025939' post='1905999']
Been using custom plugs with ER15 filters for years.
I used to work for a Danish Hearing Instrument manufacturer and no matter how many thousands you pay for hearing aids they'll NEVER replace what you've aready got stuck to either side of your head.
[/quote]
+1. its a gamble going with cheap and cheerful generic plugs, i know. I took the gamble and it didn't pay off. Custom plugs are the only way.

Edited by leroydiamond

I have spoken briefly with someone about these earplug today and they have told me that they are phasing out the ER15's and are moving to the PRO series, as a result they have recommended the PRO17. Does anyone have any experience with these or has anyone spoken to ACS directly with regards to these recently?

Many thanks or any assistant on this.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='gingerfish' timestamp='1357227416' post='1919399']
I have spoken briefly with someone about these earplug today and they have told me that they are phasing out the ER15's and are moving to the PRO series, as a result they have recommended the PRO17. Does anyone have any experience with these or has anyone spoken to ACS directly with regards to these recently?

Many thanks or any assistant on this.
[/quote]

I have spoken to ACS recently and they are very helpful.

The PRO 17's are probably the best, great for BV's and a great attenuation.

[quote name='gingerfish' timestamp='1357227416' post='1919399']
....I have spoken briefly with someone about these earplug today and they have told me that they are phasing out the ER15's and are moving to the PRO series, as a result they have recommended the PRO17. Does anyone have any experience with these or has anyone spoken to ACS directly with regards to these recently?....
[/quote]

I called ACS to get replacement ER15 filters and they were great to deal with. The filters came by lunchtime the next day!

PRO17's are supposed to be better so call them and ask.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,
Has anyone tried the Fender touring ear plugs? they have them in my local music shop for £10.99 and was thinking about giving them a go,
I have just had my ears syringed and I want to keep them in good nick now as i am approaching 44 and still have good hearing,, despite all the abuse they have taken over the years :P
thanks in advance guys

• 1 month later...

My ER-15's need replacing as they dont fit as tightly as they used to. ACS have recommended Pro27's for me as a play about 5 hours per month between 100 and 115 decibels.

27 decibel reduction seemed a bit excessive to me as i always got on fine with my 15's. Has anyone on here used the 27's? How do you get on with them?

I don't know decibels, but my ER15's have been fine with some very, very loud bands.

I see they now do Pro15's. I changed mine I might go for the Pro17's. They seem to be the closest to the ER15's.

I think a phone call is needed to get them to explain the differences.

Well i have an appointment on tuesday at acs london to get some new plugs, the guy i spoke to on the phone said we could discuss the most suitable db reduction when i get there so ill you know what i end up with.

Just need to choose a colour now. I went for clear last time but that doesnt mix well with ear wax :(

My god. After last night I now realise I need plugs.
Drummers bell on the ride cymbal was killing me last night, mixed in with the vocals coming back through the monitor.
I dont think these little pub/club gigs help where you're all sanwiched together in the corner in front of the fireplace.

I've been using Elacin ER15s for a year now. At first I hated them and would only use them at rehearsals and not gigs. Everything seemed so muted and boring. Then I started wearing them at gigs and as I became more accustomed to them, I started to enjoy using them. Now I wouldn't be without them. It's great to drive home from a gig or rehearsal without my ears ringing and wake up in the morning the same. And I find it makes me feel calmer post gig. I also use them if I go and watch a band now. At first the guys in the band took the mickey. Now they treat it as business as usual and in fact our drummer has now ordered some for himself. So, use of ear plus - highly recommended!

Ive used ER20s for over 4 years now.

It took a long time to get completely used to them, and to be honest I think I need to replace mine now, they dont seem quite as effective as they once were (especially when I am gurning like a Neanderthal).

Love them though, they are superb. Loud music always sounds better with them in. Rehearsals are a breeze and I walk out feeling as fresh as a daisy.

Edited by 51m0n

Another vote for Doc's Proplugs here - relatively cheap, but work great and are really comfortable. Also, not sure if this point has been made, but they aren't really visible from stage. Not that wearing earplugs should be considered a bad thing, but I personally prefer the low profile plugs rather than having a couple of bright sticks poking out of my ears!

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1366640507' post='2055288']
Another vote for Doc's Proplugs here - relatively cheap, but work great and are really comfortable. Also, not sure if this point has been made, but they aren't really visible from stage. Not that wearing earplugs should be considered a bad thing, but I personally prefer the low profile plugs rather than having a couple of bright sticks poking out of my ears!
[/quote]

I agree with this, and for the price you can get a few, one for each guitar case and not worry too much about losing them, which I would with moulded ones.

They're are so invisible I can wear them without anyone knowing - which means around non-musician judgemental friends!

Edited by d_g

[quote name='d_g' timestamp='1366642476' post='2055327']
They're are so invisible I can wear them without anyone knowing - which means around non-musician judgemental friends!
[/quote]

Yeah, what is that all about anyway? I know earplugs aren't exactly a fashion statement, but as far as I'm aware, being deaf has never been 'cool'...

Sadly, most drummers I've known have been the worst offenders :-(

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1366640507' post='2055288']
....I personally prefer the low profile plugs rather than having a couple of bright sticks poking out of my ears!....
[/quote]

I've got the chords on mine.

When anyone asks I just tell them I'm listening to Radio 4.