Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

[quote name='owen' post='11214' date='Jun 2 2007, 10:32 PM']Going to do it. Which level of reduction 15 or 25 dB?[/quote]

Depends on preference, really. 15dB is normally adequate for most applications, I'd reckon, unless you're doing very VERY loud stuff, as 25dB is cutting out an awful lot of sound (although I won't bore you by going into the details of how dB is a logarithmic unit of comparison rather than an absolute scale, therefore for every 1dB difference etc, etc...). Talk to the audiologist whom you choose to do your moulds - they're all qualified (or should be!), so should be able to give some good advice based on your requirements.

Edited by iansmith

• 2 weeks later...

I really should get some ear protection. Thing is though that I seem to have a mild form of tinnitus which i've had pretty much as far back as i can remember, i think it's because as a young child (maybe some would argue i'm still a child now, but that's a different story altogether) i had very sensitive hearing, i couldn't even go to the cinema or anything. I think i have a bit of hyperacusis now aswell, for the last couple of nights i've been having trouble sleeping because of the ringing in my ears even though it's very mild and it's pretty much the same as the previous nights. I just can't switch off because my brain keeps trying to switch me back on, if that makes sense. So thanks ian for giving me that link, if it ruins my holiday i'm definetly seeing the doctor about it.

Also when you consider that 100db is like a loud rock gig and 75 is like the sound your car probably makes traveling along the motorway, that 25 db of protection really does begin to make sense.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='20596' date='Jun 20 2007, 09:33 AM']Also when you consider that 100db is like a loud rock gig and 75 is like the sound your car probably makes traveling along the motorway, that 25 db of protection really does begin to make sense.[/quote]

Good analogy!

I am a HUGE supporter of hearing protection, having bought musicians' earplugs relatively soon after joining my first band. Before spending your next £150 on a bass, amp or pedals, go and get some custom plugs made, their are truly the best thing since sliced bread. You will not believe how much clearer everything sounds - simply because your ears are distorting much less. And bear in mind that when your ears are distorting they are being damaged and they never recover.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='20854' date='Jun 20 2007, 04:48 PM']I am a HUGE supporter of hearing protection, having bought musicians' earplugs relatively soon after joining my first band. Before spending your next £150 on a bass, amp or pedals, go and get some custom plugs made, their are truly the best thing since sliced bread. You will not believe how much clearer everything sounds - simply because your ears are distorting much less. And bear in mind that when your ears are distorting they are being damaged and they never recover.

Alex[/quote]

I'm off for a hearing test tomorrow as I am starting to suspect my hearing has suffered in recent years. After that, I'm definately going for some full-on protection, probably from here: [url="http://www.soundguard.co.uk/one.htm"]http://www.soundguard.co.uk/one.htm[/url].

I'll let you all know how I get on with them!

Stu

I wear Doc Proplugs, non-vented, for every single gig that i do! Including all gigs and other 'loud' events that i go to.
I even put them in once when i went to a bowling alley, it was ridiculously loud lol.
They form part of my 'every morning pickup', Keys, Wallet, Phone, Plugs

I'm aiming to have a hearing test soon and get some fitted plugs soon though
Si

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='4287' date='May 22 2007, 11:12 AM']well first time after practice last night my left ear was really hurting, still is to be honest so i think now is the time to do something about it (might be a bit late but better than not at all) seeing as my amp is now really chucking out the volume.
so is it possible to pull over the sticky from the last forum or shall we just start afresh.

recommendations[/quote]

Not just damn drummers, cymbals are what kill me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Sibob' post='24223' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:13 AM']I wear Doc Proplugs, non-vented, for every single gig that i do! Including all gigs and other 'loud' events that i go to.
I even put them in once when i went to a bowling alley, it was ridiculously loud lol.
They form part of my 'every morning pickup', Keys, Wallet, Phone, Plugs

I'm aiming to have a hearing test soon and get some fitted plugs soon though
Si[/quote]

I have a little case that is attached to my keyring. One less thing to remember! :)

Saw Ash in Koko's last week and had forgotten my earplugs. As soon as they started playing my ears overloaded and distorted - when things are too loud it sounds like listening through a fuzz pedal. Improvised some emergency plugs with tissue paper and thankfully they did the job. Scary...

Alex

Another reccomendation for the ER20's! Band practice is so much more bearable now, loud noises make irritable let alone the already well known effect on hearing. If you haven't got any earplugs yet then for god sake shell out a tenner and grab some of these!

• 2 weeks later...

I posted in Dood's thread back on bassworld or whatever it used to be (f*** knows how you're supposed to keep track LOL - only just found this one!) - picked the 15db jobbies from audiologist a couple of months back. Superb basically, don't think that the comments posted need any expansion.

One thing I will say is that 15db is plenty to make intimate (and bloody loud) metal gigs a very comfortable volume - most recently, Napalm Death. 25db is probably intended for industrial applications; I don't care how loud your band is, you don't need them unless you have particularly sensitive hearing in which case you wouldn't have been able to join a band in the first place :)

Just found out that your local SpecSavers do the full service for the custom-fit Etymotic ER-15 attenuated ear plugs:
[url="http://www.specsavershearcare.co.uk/"]http://www.specsavershearcare.co.uk/[/url]
I was looking at travelling miles (taking a day off work) to get the moulds done until I found this out...rang my local branch & spoke to a very nice lady Audiologist - booked in for the test & fitting in Banbury.
Job done.

Edited by 99ster

Had my free 'Specsavers' test done yesterday and I passed with flying colours. They offer the moulded personalised earplug service £160, 6 week lead time and the ER20's @ £14 however a quick search on eBay found the identical same product for £6.99 (+2.99 P&P).
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ETYMOTIC-ER20-Musicians-High-Fi-Ear-Plugs-Case-ER-20_W0QQitemZ110152092105QQihZ001QQcategoryZ11900QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVietem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ETYMOTIC-ER20-Musici...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Oh I have to add that the test conditions were a bit cobbled together! The guy had a room set off to one side that had the air-con unit or something similar running in the cupboard and staff chatting on the other side of the standard door (not soundproofed). He did apologise at the beginning for this... and explained this was just a test to get a 'rough idea of the state of my hearing'.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='amj' post='33232' date='Jul 17 2007, 07:36 PM']Another reccomendation for the ER20's! Band practice is so much more bearable now, loud noises make irritable let alone the already well known effect on hearing. If you haven't got any earplugs yet then for god sake shell out a tenner and grab some of these![/quote]
What he said. I find rehearsal much more enjoyable since purchasing some ER20's, plus I find where I've had trouble hearing myself at gigs I can now hear everything much more clearly. Probably the best tenner I've spent in a long time.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='39871' date='Aug 1 2007, 09:35 AM']Had my free 'Specsavers' test done yesterday and I passed with flying colours. They offer the moulded personalised earplug service £160, 6 week lead time and the ER20's @ £14 however a quick search on eBay found the identical same product for £6.99 (+2.99 P&P).
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ETYMOTIC-ER20-Musicians-High-Fi-Ear-Plugs-Case-ER-20_W0QQitemZ110152092105QQihZ001QQcategoryZ11900QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVieem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ETYMOTIC-ER20-Musici...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Oh I have to add that the test conditions were a bit cobbled together! The guy had a room set off to one side that had the air-con unit or something similar running in the cupboard and staff chatting on the other side of the standard door (not soundproofed). He did apologise at the beginning for this... and explained this was just a test to get a 'rough idea of the state of my hearing'.[/quote]

I had a very different experience today at the Banbury 'Specsavers' - the test was done in a professional soundproof booth. The booth itself was in a very quiet room (much like a GP's office). So I had a very accurate full-spectrum test which revealed the classic '4KHz dip' in my hearing. The damage being caused by over 25 years exposure to rock n roll. This was not unexpected. But still a bit sobering - just a shame that you couldn't buy anything like this in my youth...
I've ordered the £160 custom set (there's no way I'm skimping on ear protection!) & had the moulds made - & the (very professional & very attractive young lady!) Audiologist did tell me that the results were sent to the manufacturers of the custom sets to help produce the best set for me.
I may get some 'Ultimate Ear' monitors as well...for recording & live.

For any young folk reading this thread - for [b]F**K's SAKE[/b] - get your self some hearing protection now. Sort it out [b]today[/b]!
Instead of blowing some cash on another FX pedal that you don't really need - spend it on this instead. Now - while you still have the chance...
As I've already said - when I started playing 25 years ago there was nothing like these earplugs available - so we just got on with it & are paying the price now. There is no way you can reverse hearing damage. The damge to my hearing isn't severe - but when you see that dip on the test graph - it's not a pleasant sight.

[quote name='99ster' post='40452' date='Aug 2 2007, 02:19 PM']For any young folk reading this thread - for [b]F**K's SAKE[/b] - get your self some hearing protection now. Sort it out [b]today[/b]![/quote]

Yes, big PLUS ONE with flashing blue lights and a 'fanfare' sound!

even if you start with a set of ER20's .. do it.. do it now! Treat yourself and get the moulded plugs though.. You lugs will thank you!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='40920' date='Aug 3 2007, 02:53 PM']I know my hearing is worth that but I'm sure I've seen moulds being made at Game Fair trade stands (shooting type game fair NOT Warhammer, D&D etc) for £60-£70![/quote]

That £160 includes the price of the filters, which from what I recall of the spare filter prices is about half of the total cost. Shooting ear protection is much simpler, aiming to block as much sound as possible instead of evenly filtering it by a fixed amount.

One boutique effects pedal or good hearing for the rest of your life?

Alex

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='40920' date='Aug 3 2007, 02:53 PM']The custom moulded plugs... anyone know who/where they are done at a cost of less than £160?

I know my hearing is worth that but I'm sure I've seen moulds being made at Game Fair trade stands (shooting type game fair NOT Warhammer, D&D etc) for £60-£70![/quote]

The £160 includes the filter as well- the moulds on their own come in at around £80 with the filters costing about the same again.

I had some ER-15s done a month or 2 ago.
I think these things are a bit like pensions or looking after your teeth when your young. You don't really see the point until it's usually too late.
The best £180 I've spent in a long time (I paid a bit more to get a quicker turn around time, and a tenner for the cord so I could look like Larry Grayson between sets)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='40922' date='Aug 3 2007, 03:00 PM']That £160 includes the price of the filters, which from what I recall of the spare filter prices is about half of the total cost. Shooting ear protection is much simpler, aiming to block as much sound as possible instead of evenly filtering it by a fixed amount.

Alex[/quote]

Beat me to it by a minute!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='40922' date='Aug 3 2007, 03:00 PM']That £160 includes the price of the filters, which from what I recall of the spare filter prices is about half of the total cost. Shooting ear protection is much simpler, aiming to block as much sound as possible instead of evenly filtering it by a fixed amount.

Alex[/quote]

Yes - you can buy different interchangeable filters - so you can change from a '15' for rehearsals - to a 20 (or 25) when playing live. Which was what I've been advised to do - & these proper filters alone are around £70-ish.

Sorry - I just can't understand why anyone in their right mind would be looking for a 'budget' option for this!!!
:)