Why become a member? ×

Aphex Exciter

Beedster

Hi all
I've tried many FX and I think the only one I ever used to any great degree was the Aphex Bass Exciter pedal. However, being both clumsy and forgetful, I'm not overkeen on floor pedals (clumsiness leads to be tripping over them and forgetfulness leads to turning up to sessions with no batteries. Or no Exciter). I'd quite like to get a rack FX that does a similar job as well as the Aphex. However, Aphex don't seem to make a rack-mounted Bass Exciter but do make a two-channel Aura Exciter. Can I use this to do the same job, i.e., can I plug my bass stright in and take a line to my amp straight out? Being clumsy and forgetfull I like to keep things as simple as possible!
Cheers
Chris

Chris,

I went down this route a couple of years ago and I can tell you that the rack versions are much more suited to mastering than live sound especially for bass. The rack version didn't have half the effect on the sound as the pedal version. I have since gone back to the pedal version as it works better for bass. I have a mad idea to rip the innards out of my Exciter, Punch Factory and Yamaha NE1 and put all three in a one unit rack. Only problem is with the Aphex stuff everything (footswitch, jack sockets etc) are mounted on the circuit board so it would be quite a major (if not nigh on impossible task!)

[quote name='Beedster' post='55687' date='Sep 5 2007, 05:40 AM']Hi all
I've tried many FX and I think the only one I ever used to any great degree was the Aphex Bass Exciter pedal. However, being both clumsy and forgetful, I'm not overkeen on floor pedals (clumsiness leads to be tripping over them and forgetfulness leads to turning up to sessions with no batteries. Or no Exciter). I'd quite like to get a rack FX that does a similar job as well as the Aphex. However, Aphex don't seem to make a rack-mounted Bass Exciter but do make a two-channel Aura Exciter. Can I use this to do the same job, i.e., can I plug my bass stright in and take a line to my amp straight out? Being clumsy and forgetfull I like to keep things as simple as possible!
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

Out of interest Chris, how much does the exciter actually change the bass sound? is it one of those effects that sounds so brill on, that when you turn it off your bass sounds pants? :)
See if you can describe exactly what it does (without getting technical!)

Cheers
Ian