Why become a member? ×

Anyone Know Who played on this?

bass_in_ya_face

Been trawling through some old disco stuff to listen to the amazing bass lines and discovered a very simple but brilliant bass line on "Boogie Ooogie Ooogie" by Taste Of Honey. It's really pushed high in the mix, real teeth rattling stuff and not muffled like a lot of disco bass lines tend to be.

I've heard most of the Chic, Earth Wind & Fire, Wild Cherry stuff etc but can anyone recommend some more obscure stuff I may not have found?

It's the Infeld (as in TI) version of the Andreas Shark Bass. The original which is no longer available had an Aluminium fingerboard. Even this watered-down version no longer seems to be available. There used to be a link in the Infeld web site but that's long gone.

I've got an Andreas Black Shark guitar which is one of the guitar versions of this bass:

If anyone here has one of the original Andreas Basses with the aluminium fingerboard I'd be interested in buying it...

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='55715' date='Sep 5 2007, 08:38 AM']Been trawling through some old disco stuff to listen to the amazing bass lines and discovered a very simple but brilliant bass line on "Boogie Ooogie Ooogie" by Taste Of Honey. It's really pushed high in the mix, real teeth rattling stuff and not muffled like a lot of disco bass lines tend to be.

I've heard most of the Chic, Earth Wind & Fire, Wild Cherry stuff etc but can anyone recommend some more obscure stuff I may not have found?[/quote]
That wasn't obscure, I think it might been ave been No.1
Best "obscure" track for me would be "Do wht you wanna do" by T.Connection. Groovy bassline, baby!
I was recently in Disco/Funk band that refned its set-lit to what worked, and was;

Hot Stuff Donna Summer
Boogie Oogie Oogie Taste of honey
iAn't no stoppin us now McFadden & Whitehead (FAB!)
Blame it on the Boogie Jackson 5
Lost in music Sister Sledge
Ladies Night Kool & the gang
Boogi Wonderland Earth Wind & Fire
Bad Girls Donna Summer
Superstition Stevie Wonder
Lady Marmalade Labelle
Le Freak Chic
That's the way I like it KC & the sushine band
Disco Inferno Trammps
Get down on it Kool & the gang
Nutbush city limits Tina/Ike Turner
Boogie Nights Heatwave (nice bass intro)
Shame shame shame Shirley & Co
Carwash Rose Royce
Rock your baby George McCrae
Shake your body Jackson 5
We got the Funk George Clinton/Positive Force
Boogie on Reggae Woman Stevie Wonder (Marcus Miller did great take on original Moog bassline)
Streetlife Randy Crawford/Crusaders

Hope that helps - got tabs for most of above if u want! None techincally hard, but some tricky timings - you got to feel the groove! A MusicMan helps of course. :)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='56717' date='Sep 6 2007, 08:56 PM']Hot Stuff Donna Summer
Bad Girls Donna Summer
Lady Marmalade Labelle
Le Freak Chic
Disco Inferno Trammps
Carwash Rose Royce
Boogie on Reggae Woman Stevie Wonder (Marcus Miller did great take on original Moog bassline)
Streetlife Randy Crawford/Crusaders[/quote]

That list reminds me of why I like punk so much and why it came about :)

[quote name='Gazm' post='57172' date='Sep 7 2007, 07:46 PM']That list reminds me of why I like punk so much and why it came about :)[/quote]
Hmm, well it's a point of view, though not one I'd agree with. I started in a punk band, playing nothing but from '77-'79, saw most of the big names except for the Pistols - Clash, Buzzcocks, Damned, Jam, Banshees, Stiff Little fingers & loads of obscure ones. For me, being fairly apolitical, it got better as it got more musical, and I was lucky enough to see live the post-punk band that will always be my favouite music - Joy Division. A reaction against Disco it wasn't - Disco itself was a working-class black reaction against the self-indulgent turgidity of Soul in the early '70's (Marvin Gaye's "What's going on" album is sheer class, but you can't dance to it) in the same way that punk was an anarchic reation against a rigid establishment and musically aginst the self-indulgent turgidity of prog-rock and manufactured pop. Both genres were basically about ordinary "youth" having a good time to music that spoke to them and that they could dance/pogo to, and like all genres both eventually became pastiches of themselves. Both really had their "golden era" at the same time - late '70's, even though Disco became mainstream first.
Personally I love any music that speaks to me, especially rhythmically, be it Bach, Beatles, or Bulgarian folk music.
The set list above is for a commercial band, designed to entertain paying punters as much as possible. Yes, a few tracks are schmaltzy - but all ooze pure, funky rhythm with fabulous basslines - the entire audience invariably danced all through the gig, every gig. Hell yes I miss the frantic energy of those early punk gigs, but I don't miss the gobbing!
Sorry to have gone on a bit.

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Shaggy' date='Sep 6 2007, 09:56 PM' post='56717']
That wasn't obscure, I think it might been ave been No.1
Best "obscure" track for me would be "Do wht you wanna do" by T.Connection. Groovy bassline, baby!
I was recently in Disco/Funk band that refned its set-lit to what worked, and was;

Hot Stuff Donna Summer
Bad Girls Donna Summer
Lady Marmalade Labelle
Le Freak Chic
Disco Inferno Trammps
Carwash Rose Royce
Streetlife Randy Crawford/Crusaders

Hope that helps - got tabs for most of above if u want! None techincally hard, but some tricky timings - you got to feel the groove! A MusicMan helps of course. :)
[/quo

When I said obscure...i meant stuff I wouldn't have heard before, not the ususal suspects like A taste of honey!

[quote]When I said obscure...i meant stuff I wouldn't have heard before, not the ususal suspects like A taste of honey![/quote]
Fair enough - you seemed to have just discovered Taste of Honey, so not sure what the "usual suspects" are to you. I'm in a covers band at the moment who do "Honk Tonk Woman" as an encore. As they've got male and female vocals I suggested "Gimme Shelter" as an ace Stones duet to do - they'd never heard of it. So you never can tell! OK, heard of these gems then;
Let's start the dance / Hamilton Bohannon
Shoot me with your love / Tasha Thomas
Love sensation / Loretta Hollway
Dance accross the floor / Jimmy "Bo" Hone
You can do it / Al Hudson & the partners
Delerium / Francine McGee
Let no man put asunder / First Choice
Contact / Edwin Starr
Me and baby brother / War
Blackwater Gold / The sunshine band
Rock me again & again / Lynn Collins
Starting too fast / Th HT's
Brick House / Commodores
Give up the Funk / Parliament
Get the funk out ma face / Brothers Johnson
Fire / Ohio Players
Slide / Slave

[quote name='Shaggy' post='57911' date='Sep 9 2007, 08:52 PM']Fair enough - you seemed to have just discovered Taste of Honey, so not sure what the "usual suspects" are to you. I'm in a covers band at the moment who do "Honk Tonk Woman" as an encore. As they've got male and female vocals I suggested "Gimme Shelter" as an ace Stones duet to do - they'd never heard of it. So you never can tell! OK, heard of these gems then;
Let's start the dance / Hamilton Bohannon
Shoot me with your love / Tasha Thomas
Love sensation / Loretta Hollway
Dance accross the floor / Jimmy "Bo" Hone
You can do it / Al Hudson & the partners
Delerium / Francine McGee
Let no man put asunder / First Choice
Contact / Edwin Starr
Me and baby brother / War
Blackwater Gold / The sunshine band
Rock me again & again / Lynn Collins
Starting too fast / Th HT's
Brick House / Commodores
Give up the Funk / Parliament
Get the funk out ma face / Brothers Johnson
Fire / Ohio Players
Slide / Slave[/quote]

that's just the sort of stuff i meant :)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='57382' date='Sep 8 2007, 02:40 PM']Hmm, well it's a point of view, though not one I'd agree with. I started in a punk band, playing nothing but from '77-'79, saw most of the big names except for the Pistols - Clash, Buzzcocks, Damned, Jam, Banshees, Stiff Little fingers & loads of obscure ones. For me, being fairly apolitical, it got better as it got more musical, and I was lucky enough to see live the post-punk band that will always be my favouite music - Joy Division. A reaction against Disco it wasn't - Disco itself was a working-class black reaction against the self-indulgent turgidity of Soul in the early '70's (Marvin Gaye's "What's going on" album is sheer class, but you can't dance to it) in the same way that punk was an anarchic reation against a rigid establishment and musically aginst the self-indulgent turgidity of prog-rock and manufactured pop. Both genres were basically about ordinary "youth" having a good time to music that spoke to them and that they could dance/pogo to, and like all genres both eventually became pastiches of themselves. Both really had their "golden era" at the same time - late '70's, even though Disco became mainstream first.
Personally I love any music that speaks to me, especially rhythmically, be it Bach, Beatles, or Bulgarian folk music.
The set list above is for a commercial band, designed to entertain paying punters as much as possible. Yes, a few tracks are schmaltzy - but all ooze pure, funky rhythm with fabulous basslines - the entire audience invariably danced all through the gig, every gig. Hell yes I miss the frantic energy of those early punk gigs, but I don't miss the gobbing!
Sorry to have gone on a bit.[/quote]

Cool post!