Why become a member? ×

Somebody in the West Midlands Willing to Spare Some Time..

studavis

Hi guys

I thought I would drop a little request here on BC.

Basically, here's the story. I think I'm fighting a losing battle against getting my bass set up correctly for me. When I first got it a few years ago (it's a mid 90s Jap Fender P) it played great, but as time has gone on, it seems like it's becoming harder to play. I am becoming noticeably more aware that the action is too high at the bridge end, and no amount of tinkering can get it sorted.

I don't know whether my playing style has changed, or I'm just simply being more critical. I'm no bass noob, but I've tried the odd truss rod / bridge adjustment and it has seemed to either work for a while or only make the bass a bit more unplayable in other areas.

I think what it needs is a bloody good setup, from scratch. Now the easy option would be to give the bass and some money to someone and just get it done that way. But I'm not that kind of chap! I think it would be more beneficial to me to see it done hands on, so that I can learn from it and hopefully do it myself next time!

So I'm basically asking this. If there's anyone in the West Midlands area with an hour free to walk and talk me through this procedure I'd love to hear from you! I live in Wolverhampton, but don't mind travelling, and I'll be sure to recompense you for your time and effort. Failing that, the kettles always on at mine!

Cheers guys, if anyone can help then feel free to drop me a PM here or reply to this message.

Thanks, Stu.

You're a braver man than me!! I have just said "sod it" and handed the bass and some readies over to a guy I trust.

I should know what to do after all these years, and even managed to balance the floating trem on one of my sons guitars after a restring & semitone detune a while back, but when it gets to tinkering with the truss rod I run scared.

Good luck in your quest. You never know it might be you passing on your invaluable knowledge next time :)

Unfortunately, I live too far away, otherwise I'd come and help you out.

I can't do fret levelling / dressing, and I'm no pro, but I'm alright with action/intonation/neck relief and have had to shim a neck or two. I am, however [i]very[/i] slow at it.

I taught myself using a solid but cheap and (ultimately) disposable instrument. Just adjust the truss rod [i]really[/i] slowly. Allow it to settle for a while and note how any fret buzz moves around as you adjust various parameters. Look for a balance between your desired action and fretbuzz.
Ideally, I run my action as low as possible, but high enough to avoid any nasty clanging when slapped or played (slightly too) hard.
I adjust the intonation last. Be aware that large saddle movements to or fro can alter the action a bit!
Don't overlook pick-up height and angle adjustments after you've set the strings up. It can further improve or modify the sound to your taste.

I recommend a good (accurate) and mains-powered (so you can leave it on permanently while you adjust) tuner.
I use a Korg rack-mount (DTR1000) but there are alternatives. The Boss TU-2 pedals I've used seem perfectly adequate, and can run from an adapter to save batteries.

Hope this helps!